"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 11-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do the tomatoes HAVE to be diced? I have never had a can of diced tomatoes without coming across some tomato skin. Can I buy even whole tomatoes and crush and cream them myself?

Sure, why not?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

No, they absolutely must be diced. I can't believe you would even ask.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Looking back it was rather a stupid question. But I hate to mess with another's successful recipe. For a short while I used to buy diced canned tomatoes. But in every single can there would always be several skins that weren't left at the factory. Si I stopped buying them. I don't mind skins on raw tomatoes, but not cooked.

I love stewed tomatoes as a veggie. And so do all my kids. It was a favorite side as they were growing up.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
Sugar doesn't change the acidity or act as a preservative (unless it's a high concentration like in jam). It just makes it taste sweeter.
Disagree, I make tomato soup all the time and use sugar to offset acidity. All it takes a little pinch.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:10 AM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This thread inspired me to make a batch of tomato soup this morning.

I had quite a few veggies on hand so I chopped up a red bell pepper, a carrot, a rib of celery and a small onion. I simmered the vegetables in the chicken stock until tender and buzzed them in the blender. I also buzzed the can of tomatoes and added a half can of tomato paste I had leftover from the kraut casserole. Not sure if I will add dairy to this batch or if I will even bother to reheat it. I may just have it ice cold with a shot of vodka and some freshly ground black pepper!
Couldn't sleep so I headed for the kitchen, cleaned the vegetable drawer and used the odds and ends to make a little pot of soup similar to the one above. I didn't have any canned tomatoes on hand so I added an 11 oz can of V-8 to the vegetable puree. I will add a splash of cream or a pat of butter to each serving when I reheat it.

Someday I need to make this great soup the way the good folks at 4B's intended it to be made!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Someday I need to make this great soup the way the good folks at 4B's intended it to be made!
I like the sound of your additions Bea, but I hope someday you give the original recipe a go. The only thing I change is the sugar content to only 1 Tbs. as we hate sweet tomato soup like Campbell's. Otherwise, the recipe is just perfect. I heat the shelf stable TJ's heavy cream in the microwave before adding it to the soup.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, soup, tomato, tomato soup