"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Tomato Soup with Pancetta

TOMATO SOUP WITH PANCETTA
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
rye bread croutons
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup along with rye bread croutons and serve.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh....this looks divine. Thanks Sharon! Copied and saved!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Sous Chef

You're welcome! I last made it about 6 years ago, and the talk about tomato soup on the other thread made me remember it. It wasn't in my recipe files but I still had it on an older external hard drive. I need to explore there some more!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm thinking of piping the mascarpone cream onto the soup in a heart shape for Shrek on Tuesday. Lovely!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have never used pancetta. I'm wondering if it tends to overpower the tomatoe in the soup. I suspect if this were made with bacon that is exactly what would happen. But I understand that pancetta is not smoked like bacon. Is that correct?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I have never used pancetta. I'm wondering if it tends to overpower the tomatoe in the soup. I suspect if this were made with bacon that is exactly what would happen. But I understand that pancetta is not smoked like bacon. Is that correct?

Pancetta is not smoked and it shouldn't overpower the tomato. I also make a tomato soup with pancetta and rosemary. Tomato is the star.

Tags
pancetta, recipe, soup, tomato, tomato soup

Tomato Soup with Pancetta TOMATO SOUP WITH PANCETTA 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 ounces pancetta, chopped 1 small onion, chopped 6 cups low-salt chicken broth 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes salt and freshly ground black pepper rye bread croutons 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese 1/4 cup sour cream Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup along with rye bread croutons and serve. 3 stars 1 reviews