Tomato Soup with Pancetta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharonT

Sous Chef
TOMATO SOUP WITH PANCETTA
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 ounces pancetta, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
rye bread croutons
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup along with rye bread croutons and serve.

You're welcome! I last made it about 6 years ago, and the talk about tomato soup on the other thread made me remember it. It wasn't in my recipe files but I still had it on an older external hard drive. I need to explore there some more!

I'm thinking of piping the mascarpone cream onto the soup in a heart shape for Shrek on Tuesday. Lovely!

I have never used pancetta. I'm wondering if it tends to overpower the tomatoe in the soup. I suspect if this were made with bacon that is exactly what would happen. But I understand that pancetta is not smoked like bacon. Is that correct?

I have never used pancetta. I'm wondering if it tends to overpower the tomatoe in the soup. I suspect if this were made with bacon that is exactly what would happen. But I understand that pancetta is not smoked like bacon. Is that correct?

Pancetta is not smoked and it shouldn't overpower the tomato. I also make a tomato soup with pancetta and rosemary. Tomato is the star.

Back
Top Bottom