Traditional Split Pea Soup--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
It's supposed to be cold and damp here tomorrow, so split pea soup is on order! I froze the ham bone from Christmas just waiting for weather like this. :)

1 (10 oz) bag green split peas
about 10 cups liquid (I used about 6 c chicken broth and 4 c water)
bacon grease
1 c celery, finely chopped
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
1/2 c carrot, finely chopped
1 meaty ham bone
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour

Rinse and sort peas. Add peas and liquid to stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover and let sit for 1-2 hours.

Meanwhile, sauté vegetables in about 1-2 Tbsp bacon grease. Set aside.

After peas soak, add ham hock, bay leaf, thyme, and vegetables. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours, or until peas are tender/falling apart.

Remove ham bone and bay leaf. Puree soup (I used my immersion blender. Gave it a nice "rough-puree".).

In a skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter and stir in 2 Tbsp flour. Whisk in some soup, stirring constantly to make a thick roux.

Bring soup to slow boil and add in roux, stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

And if you're not a pork person, like my husband, you can make the same recipe just subbing olive oil for the bacon grease & a smoked turkey thigh for the ham bone. Still comes out great!

I love split pea soup! Just made it 2 nights ago and I'm still eating it! It's loaded with fiber and the version I make is low in fat and calories.

Sometimes, just to add a little ' something' to my pea soup ill add some fried onions at the end, just before serving, maybe a few croutons, some cut up hot dogs or even small cubes of jarlsberg cheese ( learned this one from my mother in law). I like pea soup because its one of those ' always have everything to make it in the house ' recipes or one of those ' clean out the vegetable drawer ' recipes just to get rid of my remaining carrots, onions, celery or whatever.

Since my potable water is a precious commodity, I try to use the water fom my boiled ham to make pea soup, water from boiled potatoes to make rye bread and the liquor from steamed clams to make clam chowder.

Oh goodness yes - I love adding sliced sausage, like turkey kielbasa, to pea soup.

I also like making "The Vegetarian Epicure" cookbook recipe for spring pea soup from fresh (or frozen) green peas, with little butter dumplings floating throughout. Delicious, & not as heavy or hearty as dried split pea.

Instead of a new thread I'm gonna bump to ask my ??
Don't you get sort of greasy soup without some way of skimming the fat that has come off the meat and bone?
I've made it before and I dont remember it being too greasy, maybe I'm putting too much thought into this. I can only trim so much of the fat off of the meat on the bone.

Never had a fat problem with my split pea soup and ham/sausage. I don't think I've ever skimmed my split pea soup and I've been making it for nearly 50 years.

I use everything from ham shanks, smoked pork hocks, kielbasa, etc. Usually any hammy-, smoky-flavored meat. Split pea soup is real "soul" food in our house.

alright, I'll just do what I did last time.... but I cant remember what I did.....
OH!!! I am going to make it with half yellow half green split peas.
Want me to send you my other half a bag of yellow? I remember you said you cant get them....
I'll split the split peas with you!!!!

That recipe sounds good. The last time I made split pea soup the recipe made enough for three families and it just so happened that DH had to work late and never came home for dinner, and none of my neigbors were sick or had just had babies so I had no excuse to give any away. It sat in my freezer for weeks and ended up in the trash. *sigh* All that hard work for nothing. I didn't even eat much myself because I had morning sickness at the time.

B'sgirl, I have frozen pea soup for months with no problem. Next time, you should feel comfortable freezing it for at least six months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom