Two Potato Soup ... re-posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
after several good reviews from my family and here, i recommended this recipe (and the site :) ) to a friend, but he couldn't find it. so i'm re-posting it in it's own thread to be easier to find and to be able to copy as one of my signature recipes.

one of my favorite fall soups is irish two potato soup. i found a similar recipe called portugese kale and potato soup, which used chorizo instead of ham. i liked the chorizo better, so here's my recipe for "irish/portugese two potato soup". (the amounts and times are approximate. i need to write stuff down when i cook)

5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
2 1/2 cups diced onions
3 cups sliced carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound russet (baking) potatoes (about 2 large)
8 cups chicken broth
2 pounds chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound kale, stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and shredded thin (about 10 cups packed)
1 pound red potatoes

In a large kettle, cook the garlic, the onions, and the carrot in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened. Add the russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces), broth, and/or enough water to cover, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, in a skillet cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring, until it is lightly browned. With a slotted spoon transfer the cooked potatoes to a blender, add about 2 cups of the cooking liquid and puree the mixture until it is smooth. Stir the puree potatoes into the broth mixture, add the chorizo, the kale, the red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer the soup, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the red potatoes and kale are tender.

Cute name. Guess what tune I can't get out of my head now ... ONE potato TWO potato THREE pota..... :)

The recipe looks great. A question, is the chorizo the uncooked sausage one, or more of the Portugese one that is smoked ( not sure if it's smoked, but it is very different than the chorizo sausages I make) Thx!

i've used the finished kind. :chef: from mexico and the caribbean.

that is, you can slice and eat it out of the package. it's not raw.

hmm, now you've got me wondering, loprraine, is this kind cooked, dry cured, or smoked. anyone know?

"hmm, now you've got me wondering, loprraine, is this kind cooked, dry cured, or smoked. anyone know?"

Not sure. One of my staff makes it with her in laws. I seem to remember (vaguely) her saying they hot smoke them, then hang them. Or maybe vice versa. I'll have to ask her when she's back from holidays.

buckytom said:
i've used the finished kind. :chef: from mexico and the caribbean.

that is, you can slice and eat it out of the package. it's not raw.

hmm, now you've got me wondering, loprraine, is this kind cooked, dry cured, or smoked. anyone know?
For what it's worth, none of the Mexican chorizo I see is cooked, dried, cured or smoked. It's completely raw. I wish I could find it like the Spanish or Portugese.

Back
Top Bottom