Ugh!...Very disappointed in Progresso soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Usually I make my own soup creations. However, last night I wanted a little late night snack so I opened up a can of soup. I've had many Progresso soups before, but not this variety. It was the Southwestern Vegetable. The soup tasted like regular vegetable soup that was overloaded with cumin and chili powder. The broth had that raw spice smell and flavor. It was absolutely horrible. Whoever gave the "OK" on that soup should be smacked in the back of the head.

They look good but the taste is not there. There's nothing better than homemade soups. Campbells makes some good soups. Chicken tortilla is a good one to try. Better luck next time.

I'm something a canned soup connoisseur, as that's what I eat for lunch most days instead of sandwiches.
I find most Progresso soups disappointing. As Dina says, Campbell makes some very tasty soups, especially the Campbell's Chunky style. I'm not advertising, just stating my opinion.

I just tried a few bites of a ZERO POINT Progresso soup ( chicken veggie with rice) and while it's not my wonderful homemade soup it's not too bad. The veggies were tooo mushy but...I think all canned soups have mushy veggies.

Jeeks... I think you would be better off tossing some leftover chicken into some chicken broth and some noodles. I'm certain that will taste better than the canned stuff and take just about as much effort!

I like Campbell's, they usually do the trick in a pinch. Chunky style is ok, but I noticed that they seem to taste the same. Like they use the same soup base in each recipe, but the chunks are different. I have not had any Progresso soup that I liked except for the lentil variety. They were decent enough.

I'm something a canned soup connoisseur, as that's what I eat for lunch most days instead of sandwiches.
I find most Progresso soups disappointing. As Dina says, Campbell makes some very tasty soups, especially the Campbell's Chunky style. I'm not advertising, just stating my opinion.

I totally agree.

Soup is my favorite thing to make and to eat. I eat it just about every day. When it's not my own, it has to be Campbells.

Progresso is totally tasteless. I wanted so much to like it but I refuse to buy it any more.

I think Progresso got the wrong tasting group or something when they developed this stuff! LOL!

I don't like Progresso at all, Campbells Chunky will do in a pinch but most are a little too salty for my taste.
I did like some of Wolfgang Pucks canned soups but they are pretty pricey and I only bought a couple to try, could never afford to buy them on a regular basis.
One of my favorites is Bear Creek in the pouch, the broccoli and cheese, wild rice, and chili. All good.

My overwhelming favorite for canned soups is the US Senate canned bean soup. Don't remember the brand and don't feel like going down to the basement and finding the can.

The stuff is great. It is based on the recipe served every day at the Senate restaurant. You can get the recipe on the web by Googling. If you have not tried it please do, it is so good.

The gov'ment makes many things top secret but the bean recipe ain't one of them.

Generally do not use canned soups, but always keep a few in the pantry just for those times when the idea sounds good.

Like the Progresso minestrone, great? No, but not bad. And when I am tired and it is cold, it hits the spot.

My overwhelming favorite for canned soups is the US Senate canned bean soup. Don't remember the brand and don't feel like going down to the basement and finding the can.

The stuff is great. It is based on the recipe served every day at the Senate restaurant.

The gov'ment makes many things top secret but the bean recipe ain't one of them.

It IS good stuff, auntdot. Actually we can get the real recipe for the bean soup. Yum. Ain't it great it's soup time of the year?

wolfgang

I don't like Progresso at all, Campbells Chunky will do in a pinch but most are a little too salty for my taste.
I did like some of Wolfgang Pucks canned soups but they are pretty pricey and I only bought a couple to try, could never afford to buy them on a regular basis.
One of my favorites is Bear Creek in the pouch, the broccoli and cheese, wild rice, and chili. All good.

i love wolfgang pucks soups. since i buy them for my dinner, don't mind the price.

babe

hmm I've had Bear Creek and didn't care for it.

Yep, I like Campbell's too. But my favorite is La Madeline Tomato Basil - yum. Aunt Dot, whenever you make it to the basement, I'd love to know what brand the US Senate bean soup is.

Fisher's Mom, check out my post (#11) for the real Senate bean soup. You can make your own. Enjoy!
Oh, I just checked the link and that's what we always just called Navy Beans when I was growing up. It's one of my favorite meals - always with cornbread and a salad. But I've never made it with mashed potatoes, like the second recipe. Have you ever made it with the potatoes, Katie?

Jeeks... I think you would be better off tossing some leftover chicken into some chicken broth and some noodles. I'm certain that will taste better than the canned stuff and take just about as much effort!

I like Campbell's, they usually do the trick in a pinch. Chunky style is ok, but I noticed that they seem to taste the same. Like they use the same soup base in each recipe, but the chunks are different. I have not had any Progresso soup that I liked except for the lentil variety. They were decent enough.

I liked the lentil, too, Sattie, but for some reason they disappeared off the shelves here and I haven't found them since and that's been years---I agree with the rest of their soups being blah.

Canned Soup Debate Reply

Hello, I just HAD to place a bit of input here. I too don't care for the progresso soups. I have tried some of the Campbells Soups... just watch out for the "Chunky Style Chicken and Dumplings" The soup itself isn't too bad, but the Dumplings have that "raw uncooled flour taste to them" it was quite disgusting.

xoxHugsAndKissses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom