Ukrainian Borscht Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syncchef

Assistant Cook
268A1EC7-D10E-4D43-8DF2-3F51F70B24A9.jpg

Borscht is originally a Ukrainian dish, which is famous not only in Ukraine, but also in many Eastern and Central European cuisines.

The recipes of borscht vary, but the are 2 key ingredients - beet and sour cream, which make it special. Borscht can be served hot (classic Borscht) or cold (Kholodnyk), thought the preparation of the last differs.

Ingredients for 10 servings:

- 500 gr Beet
- 500 gr Beef or Pork
- 500 gr Potatoes
- 100 gr Beans
- 100 gr Cabbage
- 70 gr Carrot
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 Lemon (juice)
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Sour Cream & fresh sprigs of parsley for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste

Step by step preparation instructions:

- Soak the beans in cold water for approx. 6-7 hours.
- Wash the meat in cold water, dry it and cut it into medium-size pieces (as you see in the picture).
- Fill a large soup pot with 2 liters of water. Add meat and 100 gr beans. Cover and boil for about 1 hour.
- Slice the potatoes, add them into the same pot and boil for approx. 15 minutes.
- Peel a tomato with the boiling water method.
- Peel the raw beet root, cut it in thin strips and add them into the same pot. Boil for another 15 minutes.
- Shred the cabbage finely and add into borsch when the potato and beet are almost cooked.
- Grate the carrot and dice one onion. Add cooking oil to the pan and fry vegetables until they are soft.
- Add finely cut tomato into the same pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add fried vegetables into borscht and boil for 10 minutes. Then add a tbsp of salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped parsley.

Borscht looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Lost me at lemon juice, but at least you did not put sugar. Beans is a big plus many people do not put beans and claim that their borscht is an authentic one. I always add dill. Dillis a must for any Ukrainian soup. Also I stopped sauteing everything. It's just not healthy anymore, though I do mention that it is a traditional way to do it.

Borscht looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Lost me at lemon juice, but at least you did not put sugar. Beans is a big plus many people do not put beans and claim that their borscht is an authentic one. I always add dill. Dillis a must for any Ukrainian soup. Also I stopped sauteing everything. It's just not healthy anymore, though I do mention that it is a traditional way to do it.

Thanks!

You are absolutely right about dill, but I do not like it (no matter how much my Ukrainian mother tried to convince me). Lemon juice is needed to add acidity, some even add vinegar.

My wife doesn't like dill either. As far as acidity, two things: people think that borscht has to be tart, it does not. It has to have a hint of tartness (is it a word?). If you use crosscut shank meat it will give the broth necessary tartness. Don't ask me why, it just does. Also if you put enough beets, they too add somewhat sour taste. In reality originally people used to add vinegar or lemon juice not to the soup itself, but when sauteing beets to preserve the color. Having said that I want to say that I do add little bit of lemon juice or lemon salt when making cold borscht. I am pretty busy person and cut corners whenever possible. I use canned beets and beans for example, tomato sauce or paste instead of tomatoes, etc. YOu can look at my recipe if you are interested, here is the link to the thread : http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/charlie-ds-ukrainian-recipes-13160-4.html#post1048664

Post #128

Thanks for the warm welcome (and for your Borscht recipe!).

We share this account between me and my husband. I was born in the Ukraine, but lived in St. Petersburg most of my life. My husband is Italian. We live in Germany at the moment. Beside loving cooking we are both software developers and are currently working on a recipe manager software (is not yet fully ready but if you are interested in a preview version, send us a private message, we need feedback!) beside our full-time job.

I was born and lived in Kiev. Moved to US 25 years ago. Does your husband cooks Italian? I love both Italy and Italian food.

Yes, we actually both cook Italian (but he is the master), we usually do our own pasta (we have a pasta press and the needed flour sorts are quite easy to find in Germany as well). He is from Rome so the dishes we love the most are "pasta carbonara" and "cacio e pepe" (cheese and pepper pasta). We will post some Italian recipe as soon as we photograph them and make step-by-step instructions.

Also, Italian pastry is exquisite! We make cannoli siciliani and other cakes, especially following the recipes of a famous Italian pastry chef, Luca Montersino.

that just sounds awesome.

You can post the software questions/opinion/review in "off topic" forum. People might give you their opinion if you are interested.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom