"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Urgent! I need a soup answer, NOW!

I am making this turkey tomato soup for my daughter, who absolutely loves it, but I'm cutting the recipe in half. It makes a whole huge stockpot brimful if you do the whole recipe, and I like it better when it's not frozen, so I decided just to do the half recipe.

My question is: Do I cook it for the required "apporximately 4 to 5 hours" that the whole recipe calls for, or can I cut the time in half also?

It's a fantastic recipe...made of ground turkey, carrots, peas, corn, green onions, red potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, celery and V-8 juice.

Those are the ingredients and after browning the turkey, you're supposed to add all vegetables in bite size pieces and cook the above time mentioned.

PLEASE can someone tell me about this "half recipe" thing? I've often wondered about other recipes when you cut them in half, if this is the way it goes.

Thanks,
Jovin

Old 12-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Cook

this is just my opinion, I'm not a professional, but I don't think you can cut the time in half. When a recipe calls for something to be cooked as long as 4 or 5 hours, it is to develop flavors (no carrot takes 5 hours to cook). In this case, I think the key to doneness will be in the tasting. Start tasting after about 3 hours. If it tastes right to you, it's done.

Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Very good advice, wasabi woman. Last night I made soup for dinner and I keep tasting it until the soup was done to my liking. I hate cooking veggies to death until they are soft and mushy. I like my to still have some crunch.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks, guys.

I can't understand either how you are supposed to cut TOMATOES into bitesize pieces and cook them all that time myself too. It doesn't seem right..even potatoes. But it sure does turn out great and tastes good too.

My problem with tasting is that I have no taste whatsoever for seasonings. I could eat anything plain and it would taste good to me, and so I have to rely on recipes when feeding others.

I was afraid the answer was that I should be cooking it that long too. The problem is that I'm going to be taking it to my dauhter when it's done, and that's 10 miles away....the weather may not be cooperating tonight, as it's -14 now. My tires aren't great, so I'm hoping it doesn't start snowing again. I guess I was hoping you all would say....cook it for two hours and it will be great!

Thanks for your advice. I knew I could count on this forum.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I have found when reducing recipes that one should cut the spice and herbs more than the indicated percentage and add back by tasting.

Of course, supersizing is even more important not to just double triple or what ever but to ease into the correct amount.

Since you are hauling this over to daughters you can adjust spicing there as you reheat.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks for that advice too, Robert. As it was, I didn't get it to her tonight, but will tomorrow. Circumstances...this time of year....always something!

Thanks again.
Jovin
Old 12-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Something to think about:

Long cooking times in liquid, like stewing, usually is done to break down the tough connective tissues present in meats. If you are making a Beef Stew using some really tough, gnarly cuts, you want to simmer the cubed meat for hours until tender, then add the veggies towards the end of the cooking time and let the veggies cook just until tender, usually less than 30 minutes.

The soups and stews that I make usually don't get simmered for more than an hour; usually it's only about 30 minutes. I develop flavor by caramelizing my ingredients in the pan, then deglazing with stock and simmering it for a little bit. This technique is prevalent in most, if not all, of my soups, such as Gumbo, Chicken and Rice, Clam Chowder, Chicken Tortilla, etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

When you cut a soup recipe you usually do not cut the cooking time.

But I am wondering why this soup cooks for 5 hours? That seems like a really long time to me, given the ingredients ........
Old 12-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I know!

I can't believe that recipe wanted you to cook it for 4 to 5 hours..especially with all the veggies in it...but it is darned good.

I did only cook it about 3 and 3/4 hours this time, and it was fine. In fact, I met with a lady tonight that had been here on Dec 3 and had lunch with us when I made that recipe. She was so impressed that she took the recipe and told me she made it the other day, and is making it for lunch at New Year's for her company.

I guess it tastes okay to some people, but I'm surprised also that you are supposed to cook this so long. Makes no sense to me at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I love soups, and I like my veggies al dente. If it is possible, soups made day or night ahead, are best. The flavors and seasoning have time to blend. I never cook my soup for very long.

Tags
None