Vegetable Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I make beef soup, I use bone in short ribs..My kids and DH just love the meat from those bones and my soup is always tasty ..The bones just seem to add to the rich goodness of the broth it makes.

kadesma:)

Katie E said:
I've used chuck roast, but you need to add some roasted beef bones to the mix to make things nice and beefy rich.
Last time I made beef stock I reduced until, while still hot, it was thick as honey, then froze it into cubes. I'm still figuring out how to use it but it'll beefy stuff up in a big way without adding a lot of fat.

I also use bone in short ribs. The short ribs from the local meat market are always extremely fatty, so not something I want to smoke, but his beef is incredible (albeit a bit pricey). No steroids, grain and grass fed only, black angus. Great stuff, so I HAD to find a use for his short ribs.

But, short ribs can be fatty, so I typically ladle off some fat after the mixture has sat for several hours in the crock pot. I stick what I ladle off in the fridge, then discard the hardened fat once it congeals and return the remaining liquid to the crock pot. Good stuff.

I’ve actually got a new recipe for beef veggie soup that we love and I posted to another of my fav cooking forums…..but I never posted it here because it relies heavily on canned veggies. :angel:

But what the heck, here it is (as posted by me on another forum):

Friday Night’s Tin Can Soup
-----------------------------------------------------------
2 cans (28 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
2 cans Kidney beans
2 cans Lima Bean
1 can Cut Green Beans
1 can Corn
1 can Carrots
1 can Peas
4-5 medium Potatoes (peeled, cut into 1 inch chunks)
1 medium Onion (coarsely chopped)
6-8 Beef Short Ribs (trimmed of excess fat)
Pork Scraps (optional)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Before going to bed, in a crock pot add the short ribs, both cans of tomatoes (including the juice), and 1 cup of water. If using pork scraps, add them as well. Set to low and go to bed.

The next morning, don’t stir the pot, but instead get a ladle and spoon off as much fat as you can. I spoon it into a bowl and stick the bowl in the fridge. Once the fat congeals, I discard it and return the underlying (fat-free) liquid to the crock pot.

After spooning off the fat, stir the mixture thoroughly, and remove the bones from the ribs while also shredding the meat. Add the potatoes and onion to the crock pot. Wash and drain the kidney beans and add to the mixture. Drain the lima beans, corn, and green beans and add to the pot. Stir well and then cover and let simmer on high for 3 hours.

After 3 hours, drain and add the carrots and peas. Stir well, cover and simmer another hour. (Notice that you save the canned carrots and peas for last because they aren’t very firm and don’t hold up to long cooking times).

After the final hour or so, cut off the heat and let sit for 30 minutes, stir well, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve in a bowl with or without rice (or egg noodles). It should be about lunch time, and grilled cheese sandwiches go great with this.

----------------

Notice the play on words (which I think is cute). It sounds like “Tin Can” but it is actually Ten (10) Can Soup.....because there are 10 cans of veggies in this.

I like to start this on Friday night before going to bed so that we can have it for lunch on Saturday. My wife doesn’t like chunks of tomatoes (too squishy for her) but loves tomato sauce (go figure). By cooking the petite diced tomatoes with the short ribs overnight, the tomatoes break down into a nice sauce with very few chunks (and no need to puree the mixture!).

She’s a big fan of Campbell’s Sirloin Burger soup, and goes through pallets of that stuff. When I make this, we freeze 1-2 servings in Ziploc freezer bags so that she always has a serving on hand when she wants it. She actually likes this better than the Campbell’s soup.

The scrap pork is also a nice addition. I often end up with small bags of “scrap pork” in the freezer if I have trimmed pork ribs or a pork loin. The pork ribs I often trim to St. Louis style and remove the brisket and flap which goes good in the soup. For a pork loin, I cut it into a small roast, chops, stir-fry meat, and typically end up with small scraps from the end pieces (depending on the loin) which make a nice addition to this soup.

You could make this with many different substitutions and with fresh veggies all the way around, but for ease, simplicity, and taste, this works really well without having to stock fresh veggies year round.

It really makes a difference what kind of soup you aremaking. I mean what kind of vegetables you are putting in. For example Ukranian Borscht is nothing but a vegetable soup, but the best piece of meat for it is Cross cut shank with bone. You might ask why, he shank gives a little bit of sour taste to the broth. So you have to consider what you want your soup to taste like. Ribs will add sweetness, for example.

;) I like beef shank in some vegetable soups especially in a vegetable soup with bone marrow dumplings from the marrow in the beef shanks.

I always make beef/veggie soup with a big chuck roast. First I put the chuck roast into a dutch oven with a can of beef broth, onions, carrots, bay leaf and celery and then I roast it on 350 for 3 hours. Then I chop up the roast and veggies and throw it all in a soup pot with cabbage, canned tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, corn, cauliflower, peas and sometimes okra (sshh - don't tell Mr. Toots about the okra). Add water to cover it and gently simmer for 2 hours.

I've never tried short ribs but I bet it does give the soup a wonderful rich flavor.

Andy M. said:
Yup! Braised with some wine and veggies - delicious!

But they are so fatty! How can you eat them just braised? Are you trimming them or being super selective on the cut. In my experience it is HARD to find lean short ribs. Heck, I was tempted to put my short ribs in the oven on 225 for 3 hours or so to render the fat before I put them in my soup!

Uh, that's a sublte hint that all suggestions on "better" prep techniques are welcome!:LOL:

Last edited:
Oh, keltin. We're so lucky here. There's a family butcher shop near us (been around since the '30s) that has the most wonderful meats. Their short ribs are trimmed so beautifully, we are able to prepare them many ways without worrying about the fat situation.

Another thing they have are the best oxtails. Just puts me into spasm of food heaven when I get some of those for my favorite oxtail soup recipe. I almost want the weather to be cold when I think about them.

Last edited:
Katie E said:
Oh, keltin. We're so lucky here. There's a family butcher shop near us (been around since the '30s) that has the most wonderful meats. Their short ribs are trimmed so beautifully, we are able to prepare them many ways without worrying about the fat situation.

Another thing they have are the best oxtails. Just puts me into spashm of food heaven when I get some of those for my favorite oxtail soup recipe. I almost want the weather to be cold when I think about them.

Hi Katie, the meat in my local shop is great as well, but I’ll admit, of the 6 or so times I’ve gotten short ribs, they are SOOOOOO fatty (but taste so good!). They almost remind me of salt peter in the worst case scenario. So much fat! It's like fat marbeled with meat in the worst cases! I’ve seen “good” pictures of BBQ’d short ribs, but I’ve yet to find a raw cut that isn’t loaded with fat. This cut isn't common in the bigger chains like Wal-Mart and Target, or the local shops like Piggly Wiggly or Lucky's....kind of hard to find. I’ve got to get on my guy and tell him to find me some aerobesized angus for the short ribs! LOL.

keltin said:
This cut isn't common in the bigger chains like Wal-Mart and Target, or the local shops like Piggly Wiggly or Lucky's....kind of hard to find. I’ve got to get on my guy and tell him to find me some aerobesized angus for the short ribs! LOL.

Interesting, keltin. Several years ago (perhaps 3 or 4), I asked the Wal-Mart butcher in my area why they didn't have short ribs. He told me there wasn't much call for them and that, if there was any demand, they would be so expensive the average shopper couldn't afford them. Still, my nice family butcher always has them. Love Mr. Ross (my butcher). I hope he never goes out of business.

Katie E said:
Interesting, keltin. Several years ago (perhaps 3 or 4), I asked the Wal-Mart butcher in my area why they didn't have short ribs. He told me there wasn't much call for them and that, if there was any demand, they would be so expensive the average shopper couldn't afford them. Still, my nice family butcher always has them. Love Mr. Ross (my butcher). I hope he never goes out of business.

Well, you know, that makes me curious….where are the short ribs going? They aren’t that expensive from my meat market (he uses an independent butcher for the actual slaughter and cut – he does raise his own though). You know, it’s really about demand. When he first opened this shop near me a few years back, I asked him about Chuck Eye Steaks ( a remarkably flavorful and tender steak that is really inexpensive), and he said there wasn’t much call for it (not many people know about this cut). I told him if he sold it, I would buy it. He did, and now, years later, it’s a standard offering on his menu of cuts. Odd how it works.

keltin said:
But they are so fatty! How can you eat them just braised? Are you trimming them or being super selective on the cut. In my experience it is HARD to find lean short ribs. Heck, I was tempted to put my short ribs in the oven on 225 for 3 hours or so to render the fat before I put them in my soup!

Uh, that's a sublte hint that all suggestions on "better" prep techniques are welcome!:LOL:

I defat the liquid after the braise is complete, then thicken it and serve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom