What are your favourite soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too love french onion, it's so good and my family loves it. it's about the only soup I make that turns out right:LOL:
so here goes I hope I remember all of it. In a heavy D/O melt 2 tab. butter over low heat.Add 4 yellow onions sliced thin into rings, sprinkle with s&p, I cover and cook til caramelized, if you want to hasten the browning add several tea. of sugar.this normally takes 1-1/2 hrs.Turn your heat up to med and sprinkle the onions with1-2 tea. flour to make a roux cook 1-2 min Deglaze pan with1/2 cup dry white wine.now I add a bay leaf,thyme 1 T ab. chopped fresh,1 tab. fresh lemon juice and 2 cups each of beef and chix stock simmer 2-3 min the taste for s&p When soup is nice and hot ladle it into crocks heat broiler on highplace a thick slice of Italian or french bread over soup and put a mix of swiss and oarm on top of bread plce under broiler til cheese starts to melt.
enjoy
kades

Any stew with barley. Beef, lamb, etc. I love barley when it has been soaked and cooked properly. It is the finishing touch to a good stew or soup. :angel:

At my house we always have a big ham. That means a lot of split pea soup with sourdough rolls. Yum!

Rueben soup is like a rueben sandwich--corned beef, sauerkraut, grated cheese, dark rye croutons or a slice in the bottom of the bowl, topped with the soup...the recipe is at home. It has been awhile since I made it because it is so not healthy, but it is SOOOO good on a cold winter's day...I can post the recipe when I get home if you like.
Tried to type my recipe in, but it kept bumping me when I was almost done. I'll try again tomorrow.

My recipe is very simular to his. But I use hot water and instead of oil I add margarine or butter. The good part about my dough you can start making creplach right away, it doesn't need to rest. Of course I would not even consider prme rib, crazy. I use soup meat and stew meat mixed together and add fryed onions. Put everything thru meat grinder. Of course you can make any fillings you want.

Thank you. :yum:

I love almost all soups. Split pea, potato, and Maryland crab soup! I tend to not like soup that mixes poultry and tomatoes, but all others are usually good!

I could eat soup every single day. Soup, salad and a roll. Or soup and sandwich. Perfect!!!!

Daddy's Udon Noodle Soup
2 quarts water
1/4 tsp molasses
4 Tbs soy sauce
2 c Carrots, diced
2 c Potatoes, diced
1 c Onions, diced
1 Tbs Garlic, minced
1 c Celery, diced
2 c Mushrooms, sliced
4 c Cabbage, small shred
½ c Celery root, diced
1 lb Udon noodles

In a large pot combine all the ingredients except the noodles. Cook until all vegetables were completely done, add more onions if wanted and enough water to facilitate hydration of the udon noodles. Serve as soon as the noodles are done, if there’s leftover soup, remove all the noodles so they don't become paste.

You can use whatever vegetables are available. The quantities of veg are variable, use more or less of those you like. Small dice will allow all of them to cook quickly. Dad always made this when he got home from work @ 5:30 and we were eating by 6:30.

Daddy's Udon Noodle Soup
2 quarts water
1/4 tsp molasses
4 Tbs soy sauce
2 c Carrots, diced
2 c Potatoes, diced
1 c Onions, diced
1 Tbs Garlic, minced
1 c Celery, diced
2 c Mushrooms, sliced
4 c Cabbage, small shred
½ c Celery root, diced
1 lb Udon noodles

In a large pot combine all the ingredients except the noodles. Cook until all vegetables were completely done, add more onions if wanted and enough water to facilitate hydration of the udon noodles. Serve as soon as the noodles are done, if there’s leftover soup, remove all the noodles so they don't become paste.

You can use whatever vegetables are available. The quantities of veg are variable, use more or less of those you like. Small dice will allow all of them to cook quickly. Dad always made this when he got home from work @ 5:30 and we were eating by 6:30.

Yippee! A recipe :yum: Thank you :)

I also love chicken and mushroom soup but not the actual chicken. My favourite is the kind that has a gloopy consistency ( jelly like, almost like pie filling) I can never get the texture or flavour the same as shop bought :(
If anyone knows what I'm talking about please do tell me how it's done!?

Maybe this time it will post.

Cream of Reuben Soup (I think this is from my aunt, but she might have cut it out of a newspaper)

2-1/4 c beef broth
2-1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c celery, diced
1/2 c onion, chopped (I like to use purple onion, but you can use whatever you have)
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1 c grated Swiss cheese
3/4 c sauerkraut, drained
1/4 c butter, unsalted
2 c 1/2 and 1/2 or milk
1 T cornstarch
1 c chopped corned beef!!
8 slices pumpernickel bread

Directions:

1. Saute celery, onion, green pepper in chicken and beef broth (about 3-5 minutes). Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are crisp-tender.
2. Remove from stove, blend in corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut.
4. Blend well.
5. In a double boiler well coated with remaining butter, stir the rest of the ingredients, stirrirng the rest of the time. Mix until smooth. Heat=--do not boil. Serve in bowl over a slice of "to die for" pumpernickel bread, a dollop of sour cream with a dash of French dressing, pumpernickel croutons. A Reuben sandwich in a bowl.

Note: Do NOT make this if you are addicted to Reuben sandwiches or corned beef.

The last time I made this, I added dill pickle juice and caraway seeds when I was making the soup 'base."

Last edited:
This thread is "soup heaven" to me! I love just about any soup, favorites are mulligatawny, split pea with ham, potato, Tom Kha Gai, turkey veg, french onion, squash, tomato basil, the list goes on and on! I could live on soups and stews!

Yum! That Reuben soup sounds delish!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom