"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Master Chef
What are your favourite soups?

I love eating soups after the holidays just to give my body a break from all the starch and meat we indulged in.

I like tomato soup, mushroom soup, clear veggie soup. onion soup and cabbage broth most.

What do you like?

"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
I love all soup. With my new diet, soup is a way of filling myself up on the limited foods I can eat. I have been having a lot of veggie soups creamed with coconut milk. I also like clear soups that have meat and veggies in them like a good turkey soup after Christmas to use up the carcass and the meat! I made a seafood soup today that was very nice. I love onion soup and make it often.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef
It's a toss up. My favorites are vegetable with beef soup, split pea w/ ham and Chili. I like to eat, but seldom make-- chicken noodle, french onion and clam chowder. Right now I have several different lentils on hand, so that is probably the soup I will next make. And I have a very full flavor chicken stock in the freezer.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Head Chef
I like chicken noodle soup with lots of garlic, onion, and carrots. Also, vegetarian tortilla soup.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
my favourite soups are french onion, split pea with ham, my mom's vegetable beef soup, my mil's chicken noodle, roasted garden veggie with hot dogs, minestrone, both manhattan and new england clam chowders, tom yum gai, miyeok guk (korean sea veggie soup), chinese seaweed eggdrop soup, roast pork yat gaw mein, and japanese onion soup.

boy, this list got a lot longer the more i thought about it. i never realized how much i like soup.

funny story about the miyeok guk. (i've told it here before, but here goes for newcomers)

i was eating some miyeok guk at work one day when a friend and coworker, mr. choi - who moved here from korea in his early thirties, passed by and commented that he thought it was strange how much i liked korean food.

i kind of knew what was in the soup: various types of sea greens, onions or scallions, sprouts, fish stock, beef stock, garlic, and sesame oil, but i wanted to know the name for it in korean so i could order it in a restaurant someday. so he quickly replied in his heavy accent, "me a gook!"

i stopped for a second, laughed, and i repeated my question, to which he quickly repeated his answer, "me - a - gook!"

everyone in our shop started laughing, and we explained to him what we thought he was saying, at which time he broke down laughing until tears flowed from his eyes.

he finally slowed down his explanation (much like americans speak english slower and louder to people who don't understand english, lol) to say "meeeee YOK <<pause>> gook. the seaweed is miyeok, and soup is guk".

we all had a good laugh, and now when i ask him questions about all things korean, he speaks to me like an american tourist in seoul.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Head Chef
Ah a decent soup is good for the soul and so nourishing . Am making my favourite today using left over chicken. I add it to chicken stock, with carrots, parsnips, onions, sweetcorn, and brown rice which thickens it and is so good for you . Can use up other veg hanging around plus herbs but that's my basics for it .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Wine Guy
I'm not a big fan of clear "brothy" soups, but will eat pretty much anything else. My favorites are tomato, corn chowder, roasted red pepper, and wild rice with pheasant (yum!).
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Head Chef
My father's mother taught me how to make her chicken noodle soup. Backs and necks and a few meaty pieces, carrots, onions and celery simmered all day, while we rolled and cut egg noodles. She showed me how to roll them out thin, dust well with flour, then roll the sheets up to slice into noodles. The noodles were spread out on the table and hung over the backs of chairs to dry, while we strained the broth (and cleaned the flour off the floor and windowsills and counters and . . )

The final touch was just a bit of fresh nutmeg grated over each bowl, right before serving.

After she died, I made it often for my father. He is gone now, and I am low-carbing, but just the memory fills me up!

(Low carb or not, that soup is the only thing that fixes a cold!)
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
Head Chef
Homemade chicken soup with Matzoh balls/Knaidlach or Kreplach.
How to Make Kreplach - Video Dailymotion
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I love minestrone the best. Also like tomato, mushroom, onion, turkey or chicken, clam chowder, vegetable chowder, bean and bacon, zuppa toscana ... actually now that I think of it pretty much anything but split pea.

Soup is like a wonder food to me. Very tasty, filling, full of good things and easily paired with bread or salad or baked potato for a really filling meal not to mention it will warm you up on a cold day.

MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote

other, soups