"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Add a shot of vodka. Tomatoes have a flavor component that only comes out in the presence of alcohol.

I agree with more salt. You could even add it in the form of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.
Agree with the alcohol suggestion, but it could also be wine.

It definitely needs salt, pepper, herbs and broth, IMO.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Chopped fresh basil at the end, S & P and my spoon.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
Chopped fresh basil at the end, S & P and my spoon.
That made me laugh.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

When you're roasting your vegies, sprinkle generously with S&P, diced garlic, chopped onions and oregano. The oregano really adds a "kick". That's the way I do them for my tomato sauce, and it's so good! You may want to add a pinch of sugar to your soup, depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes, and do use the basil at the end.
I would definately use a good chicken broth for the liquid.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm a "heat" lover - although you may not be. My first thought after reading the recipe was that it could definitely use a decent kick of cayenne pepper (along with some salt to taste).
Old 05-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

A little heavy cream couldnt hurt. It would change the kind of soup it is, but would definately fill in the gaps.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #17
Cook

It's the rich stock that is missing. Other ideas are good too, but it needs more than water I think.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
Master Chef

From the recipe you posted, you have many different paths you could follow. You could add diced tomato, cilantro, and a touch of cumin to give it a southwestern kick (add Cayenne pepper to this version as well).

You could take it Meditaranean by adding some fresh oregano and sweet basil, together with some celery.

You could add shrimp, clams, scallops, or muscles to it for a wonderful chowder.

And there are other flavors as well. For instance, throw some fresh green beans, whole kernal sweet corn, chopped onion, sweet peas, and celery to it, along with maybe some gently browned beef cubes. Then you have a very good stew.

The choice is truly yours. Of course, adding some chicken soup base would add the right amount of salt, and an added layer of flavor, and that might be all you need.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL - we all certainly have opinions but some of them are going to be/and have been repeated. So it looks like we're all on the same track anyway.

I would add some white wine to this mixture (and not totally puree everything either. I would add some fresh lime juice, dried chili flakes, and a bit of cilantro but not overpowering. Once these flavors have come together you could either puree as recipe says or keep kind of chunky and throw some 2" chunks of tilapia in it and cook until done.

Instead of onions I would most definitely use LOTS of shallots, chopped. You will be amazed at the sweetness they bring to the dish.

Salt and pepper will, like everyone already said, play a major roll in bringing out flavors.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #20
Executive Chef

To piggyback some of the ideas here, because there are some good ones, this is what I would suggest or probably do to the recipe:

1.) Eliminate the red bell peppers....unless your tomatoes are of poor quality. If you have really nice vine ripened or heirloom tomatoes, then focus on that flavor. The addition of the red bell pepper doesn't make sense if you're working with a great tomato.

2.) Chicken stock. This will give you much more depth.

3.) Fresh Herbs. Take your pick of three that compliment tomatoes: Basil, Thyme, Oregano. The last two you can add while cooking everything down, but the basil needs to be added near the end.

4.) More salt. Season before, during, and after cooking while tasting the entire way.

5.) Finishing ingredients: Minced Fresh Basil. Good Quality EVOO. Fleur de Sel. Creme Fraiche. Take your pick.

Tags
None