What is missing from this soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I've actually made this a couple times and as much as I like it, I feel it's missing something. Any ideas?

Roasted Tomato and Red Bell Pepper Soup:

2 1/4 lbs tomatoes, halved lengthwise
2 Large red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
1 onion cut into thin wedges
4 large garlic cloves peeled
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teas fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 cups (about) water

Preheat oven to 450. Arrange tomatoes (cut side up), bell peppers, inion and garlic cloves on large baking sheet. Drizzle oil over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast about 40 minutes. Turn peppers and onions occasionally

Tranfer to processor. Puree soup, gradually adding enough water to thin soup to desired consistency. Chill for 3 hours.

Serve with 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese if you want.
I'm guessing you would heat this soup up although it doesn't say.

I just remember it was missing some spices or something.

It needs more herbs, and probably more S+P. Just my opinion, but I think it would fare better as a Roasted Red Pepper Soup, or a Roasted Tomato Soup. I think by combining them you're muddying the flavors.

Katie E said:
All the right ingredients are there but one...salt. If you add some salt, you will discover that the other flavors will perk up.

There is a section before roasting that says Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Should I add more salt into the blender/processor?

It's been awhile since I made it, but I remember it was just kind of plain.

:) Instead of plain water use beef,chicken or vegetable broth it will add more body to soup then a little salt to taste

legend_018 said:
There is a section before roasting that says Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Should I add more salt into the blender/processor?

Absolutely. In that step, all you're doing is seasoning the veggies. The "whole" soup needs to be seasoned. And, yes, I agree. Substitute a broth for the water to give the soup additional "umph!"

I'm also thinking of adding some rosemary and basil. That's a good idea about the broth. I think I might end up choosing vegetable broth.

I would use chicken broth, and a bit of lemon pepper seasoning. I've used this as a base for chicken tortilla soup, along with most of your ingredients and it tastes great.

Vegetable broth works well to, as someone mentioned.

Last edited:
Add a shot of vodka. Tomatoes have a flavor component that only comes out in the presence of alcohol.

I agree with more salt. You could even add it in the form of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.

I Think you are one the right track with the addition of some salt, stock or broth.. I would be sure to taste as you go with the salt..I'd add the basil but not the rosemary..Thyme and basil sound perfect. Rosemary as much as I like it can make certain things taste soapy.
kadesma:)

GB said:
Add a shot of vodka. Tomatoes have a flavor component that only comes out in the presence of alcohol.

I agree with more salt. You could even add it in the form of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce.

Agree with the alcohol suggestion, but it could also be wine.

It definitely needs salt, pepper, herbs and broth, IMO.

When you're roasting your vegies, sprinkle generously with S&P, diced garlic, chopped onions and oregano. The oregano really adds a "kick". That's the way I do them for my tomato sauce, and it's so good! You may want to add a pinch of sugar to your soup, depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes, and do use the basil at the end.
I would definately use a good chicken broth for the liquid.

Last edited:
I'm a "heat" lover - although you may not be. My first thought after reading the recipe was that it could definitely use a decent kick of cayenne pepper (along with some salt to taste).

It's the rich stock that is missing. Other ideas are good too, but it needs more than water I think.

From the recipe you posted, you have many different paths you could follow. You could add diced tomato, cilantro, and a touch of cumin to give it a southwestern kick (add Cayenne pepper to this version as well).

You could take it Meditaranean by adding some fresh oregano and sweet basil, together with some celery.

You could add shrimp, clams, scallops, or muscles to it for a wonderful chowder.

And there are other flavors as well. For instance, throw some fresh green beans, whole kernal sweet corn, chopped onion, sweet peas, and celery to it, along with maybe some gently browned beef cubes. Then you have a very good stew.

The choice is truly yours. Of course, adding some chicken soup base would add the right amount of salt, and an added layer of flavor, and that might be all you need.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL - we all certainly have opinions but some of them are going to be/and have been repeated. So it looks like we're all on the same track anyway.

I would add some white wine to this mixture (and not totally puree everything either. I would add some fresh lime juice, dried chili flakes, and a bit of cilantro but not overpowering. Once these flavors have come together you could either puree as recipe says or keep kind of chunky and throw some 2" chunks of tilapia in it and cook until done.

Instead of onions I would most definitely use LOTS of shallots, chopped. You will be amazed at the sweetness they bring to the dish.

Salt and pepper will, like everyone already said, play a major roll in bringing out flavors.

To piggyback some of the ideas here, because there are some good ones, this is what I would suggest or probably do to the recipe:

1.) Eliminate the red bell peppers....unless your tomatoes are of poor quality. If you have really nice vine ripened or heirloom tomatoes, then focus on that flavor. The addition of the red bell pepper doesn't make sense if you're working with a great tomato.

2.) Chicken stock. This will give you much more depth.

3.) Fresh Herbs. Take your pick of three that compliment tomatoes: Basil, Thyme, Oregano. The last two you can add while cooking everything down, but the basil needs to be added near the end.

4.) More salt. Season before, during, and after cooking while tasting the entire way.

5.) Finishing ingredients: Minced Fresh Basil. Good Quality EVOO. Fleur de Sel. Creme Fraiche. Take your pick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom