"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Master Chef
What to do with Beef Gristle

I purchased some flat-iron steaks, also called sizzle steaks by some grocers, and diced them for pita-pocket sandwiches. Since my wife hates tough meat and gristle, I removed every bit of the gristle that runs through the steak middle. As I was preparing everything, it struck me that I didn't have to throw the gristle and connecting tissue away. Instead, I threw it into a small sauce pan with about 2 cups of water and put it over a low flame. I let it cook until the water was almost gone. Supper was long over by then. I added more water and quickly sweated an onion and sliced carrot in the pan I had used to cook the diced beef. I added that to the stock made from the gristle. There was some of the diced beef left and so I threw that in too.

Again, I brought it all to a low simmer and let it cook for about an hour while we relaxed in front of the TV. I removed it from the heat and seasoned with salt. Tested a gristle piece and it was tender and soft, and mostly dissolved into collagen. The broth had a wonderful flavor and texture. I got up today and at lunch time, re-heated the soup. I added black pepper, frozen peas, a bit of barley, and about a tbs. of steel-cut oats. This soup came out incredible. There's enough left-over for lunch tomorrow as well.

If you love a good beefy vegetable soup, with lots of texture, don't throw away that gristle and connecting tissue. Turn it into soup, or freeze it for future use. Besides, when your at the end of the pay period, and out of money, and the freezer is getting low on supplies, this makes a cheap and very satisfying meal. One carrot, One onion, 1/4 cup frozen peas, the frozen beef parts, and some grains make a healthy, low fat, low sodium, and delicious soup, What more can you ask of a meal? I mean, this stuff was good enough to serve to company. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Sometimes the "scraps" are the best part!!

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Head Chef
Slap my forehead V8 Moment, I never thought of doing that. I'm changing my ways.
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Thanks for the reminder: Waste-not, want-not.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote