What to do with excess Campbell's Tomato Soup??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
One of our local supermarkets ( Shoprite) has a ' can-can' sale each year ( sometimes twice a year), where many select canned products are on sale for a ridiculous price. I usually load up on canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and other canned products.

I got a case of 24 tomato soups. I ate about 4 , so now I have 20 cans of tomato paste occupying a large portion of my pantry. I know the shelf-life is probably years, but Id like to get rid of it sooner ( or at least make a dent in my stash).

So my question is, does anyone do anything with campbell's tomato soup, other than just using it as tomato soup ??

larry

I like the Campbell's kids. In my area, I count we have 7 months, 28 weeks, of "soup weather", so your inventory is coming up short. :rolleyes:

Kids going off to college? Kids easy lunch, regardless.
You can use tomato soup in chili, Spanish rice, stuffed peppers, as part of the sauce in stuffed zukes, or liquid in taco soup. Throw a can in gazpacho or in a bloody mary mix ( never done either, but it's a thought). I like doctored up tomato soup in a mug just for sipping. Is there a vegetarian sloppy joe equivalent.

You did the shopping already and your local food bank will appreciate the donation.

Last edited:
Brown 1 lb. ground beef with chopped onion. Drain off excess fat and add 1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup and one can of dark red kidney beans. I know, sounds like something plain and boring. Take my word for it, as a sloppy joe mixture, it actually tastes pretty good.

2. Add a can of chopped tomato to it, with some basil and it's pretty tasty as well.

3. Add a little of it to beef gravy to give it a little more depth. But just a little.

4. Combine with Cheese Whiz or Velveeta to make a sauce that tastes surprisingly like Chef Boyardee pasta sauce.

5. Add a little to your marinara instead of adding brown or white sugar. Campbell's Soup has corn syrup in it, which adds sweetness.

6. I've had it both in the Philippines, and at a home, one time, where the soup was used as a pizza sauce. I thought it was terrible. But the person who made it thought it was wonderful, so who knows, with the right toppings...

7. Use it to fortify your meat loaf.

8. Add a little to your mac&cheese from the blue box.

9. It's not bad when poured over cooking liver and simmered.

10. Give it to the kids in the mud room, in a paint tray and let them use it as finger paint on poster board.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I grew up with my Mom using it for stuffed cabbage. Once I married Himself, I was retrained to use tomato paste. I would think you could make cabbage rolls made with your protein choice and use the soup. It's a bit on the sweet side compared to tomato sauce, but I liked it (she says wistfully...).

What to do with excess Campbell's Tomato Soup ??

I know you're vegetarian, Larry, but here's a couple dishes my mom used to make with a bit of meat that I've always loved. One was browned ground beef, some cooked rice, mixed with a can of sauerkraut and a can of Campbell's tomato soup. Another was a bunch of thinly sliced carrots with a handful of cooked bacon along with a can of tomato soup, baked in a casserole dish. I like to add sauteed onions to both.

Last edited:
Donate to food pantry...remember experience:ROFLMAO: Heck, I always forget and rebuy something we didn't get through before.

One of our local supermarkets ( Shoprite) has a ' can-can' sale each year ( sometimes twice a year), where many select canned products are on sale for a ridiculous price. I usually load up on canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and other canned products.

I got a case of 24 tomato soups. I ate about 4 , so now I have 20 cans of tomato paste occupying a large portion of my pantry. I know the shelf-life is probably years, but Id like to get rid of it sooner ( or at least make a dent in my stash).

So my question is, does anyone do anything with campbell's tomato soup, other than just using it as tomato soup ??

larry

I don't have any recipes, but my mother always used doctored up tomato soup for sauce for stuffed peppers, which must be possible to make without meat (and other things like meatballs and porcupine balls that would require meat, so not for you).

You could adapt this old Campbell's beef stew recipe, that I posted in another thread, by using baby bella's in place of the beef.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Put one pound of raw beef cubes into a casserole along with a couple of carrots cut into chunks, celery cut into chunks and small onions. Top with a can of Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup (undiluted), a bay leaf, a shot of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and place in the oven for approx. one hour.

You can add a couple of peeled and chopped potatoes to this, I prefer to serve it with mashed potatoes, a cabbage salad and apple crisp on a cold snowy night.

I have used venison for this with good results.

I don't have any recipes, but my mother always used doctored up tomato soup for sauce for stuffed peppers, which must be possible to make without meat (and other things like meatballs and porcupine balls that would require meat, so not for you).

There are several vegetarian products called "meat" crumbles available.

Back
Top Bottom