"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 06-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
Head Chef

What to do with excess Campbell's Tomato Soup??

One of our local supermarkets ( Shoprite) has a ' can-can' sale each year ( sometimes twice a year), where many select canned products are on sale for a ridiculous price. I usually load up on canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and other canned products.

I got a case of 24 tomato soups. I ate about 4 , so now I have 20 cans of tomato paste occupying a large portion of my pantry. I know the shelf-life is probably years, but Id like to get rid of it sooner ( or at least make a dent in my stash).

So my question is, does anyone do anything with campbell's tomato soup, other than just using it as tomato soup ??

larry

Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I like the Campbell's kids. In my area, I count we have 7 months, 28 weeks, of "soup weather", so your inventory is coming up short.

Kids going off to college? Kids easy lunch, regardless.
You can use tomato soup in chili, Spanish rice, stuffed peppers, as part of the sauce in stuffed zukes, or liquid in taco soup. Throw a can in gazpacho or in a bloody mary mix ( never done either, but it's a thought). I like doctored up tomato soup in a mug just for sipping. Is there a vegetarian sloppy joe equivalent.

You did the shopping already and your local food bank will appreciate the donation.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
Master Chef

Brown 1 lb. ground beef with chopped onion. Drain off excess fat and add 1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup and one can of dark red kidney beans. I know, sounds like something plain and boring. Take my word for it, as a sloppy joe mixture, it actually tastes pretty good.

2. Add a can of chopped tomato to it, with some basil and it's pretty tasty as well.

3. Add a little of it to beef gravy to give it a little more depth. But just a little.

4. Combine with Cheese Whiz or Velveeta to make a sauce that tastes surprisingly like Chef Boyardee pasta sauce.

5. Add a little to your marinara instead of adding brown or white sugar. Campbell's Soup has corn syrup in it, which adds sweetness.

6. I've had it both in the Philippines, and at a home, one time, where the soup was used as a pizza sauce. I thought it was terrible. But the person who made it thought it was wonderful, so who knows, with the right toppings...

7. Use it to fortify your meat loaf.

8. Add a little to your mac&cheese from the blue box.

9. It's not bad when poured over cooking liver and simmered.

10. Give it to the kids in the mud room, in a paint tray and let them use it as finger paint on poster board.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

I grew up with my Mom using it for stuffed cabbage. Once I married Himself, I was retrained to use tomato paste. I would think you could make cabbage rolls made with your protein choice and use the soup. It's a bit on the sweet side compared to tomato sauce, but I liked it (she says wistfully...).
Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Campbell's Tomato Soup Spice Cake

Campbell's Tomato Soup Spice Cake Recipe

My grandma use to make canned tomato soup cake alot,
I would probably make up some cakes and then freeze them for
future gifts, ie, Christmas, etc ... love food as gifts
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Recipes - Campbell’s Kitchen

also, Campbell's has a great website ...
Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What to do with excess Campbell's Tomato Soup ??

I know you're vegetarian, Larry, but here's a couple dishes my mom used to make with a bit of meat that I've always loved. One was browned ground beef, some cooked rice, mixed with a can of sauerkraut and a can of Campbell's tomato soup. Another was a bunch of thinly sliced carrots with a handful of cooked bacon along with a can of tomato soup, baked in a casserole dish. I like to add sauteed onions to both.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Donate to food pantry...remember experience Heck, I always forget and rebuy something we didn't get through before.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
Master Chef

Try Blushing Bunny!

Toast with Tomato Gravy - Taste and Tell

or Copper Pennies!

Campbell's Marinated Carrots Recipe

I would just keep making grilled cheese sandwiches and mugs of soup on cold rainy days or snowy nights!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Master Chef

There's not much I can't stand, but Campbell's Tomato Soup is vile to me. I'd definitely donate it to a food pantry.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soup, tomato, tomato soup