Whats your favorite soup to make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup

I usually make half of this amount.

3 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 (4.5 ounce) jars bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
8 (14.5 ounce) cans beef consommé
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 cups ditalini pasta
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I use 1 can each Great Northern and kidney when making half of this recipe)
Pinch of red pepper flakes, to taste
Parmesan cheese

In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Cook onion, celery, garlic and black pepper until vegetables are tender, 10 minutes. Stir in beef consommé, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with thyme, basil, oregano and parsley. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. (At this point, you may put the pot on a back burner to keep warm and continue with the next steps about 1 hour prior to serving, if you wish.)
Stir in the beef and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through, 10 to 15 minutes.

Garnish with cheese.

This recipe freezes very well and tastes even better reheated.

spryte said:
I'm with masteraznchefjr.... French Onion Soup!! I could (and practically do) eat it every day!

AllenMI... I assumed you were from Michigan.... but the name of your clam chowder implies you're from Boston (like me) =)

Spryte, I currently live in MI, yes. However, when I obtained the original recipe (Big John's Wicked Good Clam Chowder) off the internet, I was living in Oklahoma at the time. Over the years, I've altered the original to suit my tastes. Since it wasn't the original recipe, I changed the name.

I've never been to Boston. Maybe, one of these days, I'll visit.

Black bean soup!!! I love that stuff but the only problem is that I end up adding a big ol' dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and corn chips so that by the time I'm done with it, it doesn't look like black bean soup anymore! French onion soup is my second favorite but sauteeing all those onions makes the house smell like onions for about three days! Hm. I think I'll be making soup sometime in the near future. :D

Audeo said:
Definately bean soups, chicken gumbo, chicken and dumplings, fish-based soups, potato soups, cheddar soups, squash soups, french onion soup, beef stew...I can truly say that I've yet to meet a soup I didn't like!...

Yeh, a soup you didn't like, eh. Well what about dirty sock soup. Have you tried dirty sock soup! I didn't think so. (I have tgeased my children when they were young with this imaginary soup. When they'd be pestering me while I was working in the kitchen, asking incessantly "What's for supper?" They knew I was done answering when I told them they were getting dirty sock soup. They'd just roll their little eyes. It was too cute.)wink:

But seriously folks, I ove so many varied soups that it would be hard to choose just one. But I'll try.

1. This is an appetizer type of soup. Clear clam broth with tiny shells

2. Perfect split pea soup with onion slices and the meat from ham hocks,
and the whole thing bound together with a roux.

3. Perfectly smooth creamed soups with jsut the right amount of salt to
ballance the sweet cream and other veggies that it might contain,
a. Homemade cream of mushroom
b. Creamy Asparagus (the veggie must have a bit of crunch
c. Creamy Grilled beef

You guys and gals should see my Soups, Stews & Chowders cookbook. I have so many different kinds and types of soups in that book.

I really can't say what my favorite is. I love a good Chicken noodle, or with dumplings, or rice. And then there's chili. And what about cold soups, and desert soups?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Since, it seems like it is going to be a soup kind of weekend for you folks in the East, I thought I would add a recipe to this topic. Stay warm and eat plenty of soup.

Chicken Chili Monterey

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium navy beans, great Northern beans, or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-3/4 cups water
4-1/2 oz. can (about 1/4 cup) diced green chile peppers
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or until onion is tender; stir in the chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in beans, chicken broth, water, and chile peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and cilantro or parsley. Heat through. Top each serving with cheese. Makes four 1-1/2-cup servings.

Not alwasy my favorite soup to eat as it's an appetizer and is kind of a specialty soup. But my most elegant soup is a clam consomme'. Because I love showing off, this is my favorite to make, and serve with barbecued pork kababs with tropical fruit and leafy salad. This is definitely a summer meal, best served in a nice dining room setting, or on a picknic table, outside.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi all,
My favourite soup is leek and potato soup.Here is how I do it....
Fry in a little olive oil 1 large leek ( or 2 small )
peel and dice 3-4 medium potato's put them in the pot also,stir them round for a few minutes, now add 1 and a half pints of vegetable stock and stir.cook till the leeks and potato are soft,add some ground black pepper, and serve.. if you want a smooth soup then put it in the liquidiser..
mmmmm lovely on a cold winters night
Happy cooking..
Viv

Hi all,
My favourite soup is leek and potato soup.Here is how I do it....
Fry in a little olive oil 1 large leek ( or 2 small )
peel and dice 3-4 medium potato's put them in the pot also,stir them round for a few minutes, now add 1 and a half pints of vegetable stock and stir.cook till the leeks and potato are soft,add some ground black pepper, and serve.. if you want a smooth soup then put it in the liquidiser..
mmmmm lovely on a cold winters night
Happy cooking..
Viv:chef:

This one is always a winner. You can garnish the soup with crispy lardons for added flavor and depth.

Wild Mushroom Chowder with Porcini Essence

Yield: Approx. 8 Servings (Double or Triple the Recipe for desired Portions)

Ingredients:

1 cup Hot Water
1/2 cup Cognac
1/2 ounce Dried Morrell Mushrooms
1/2 ounce Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1/2 ounce Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
1/2 cup onion, cut into 1/4" dice
1/2 cup celery, cut into 1/4" dice
1 Tbsp. Fresh Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Fresh Cremini Mushrooms, sliced approx. 1/8" thick
1/2 cup Fresh Buttom Mushrooms, sliced approx. 1/8" thick
4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
2 Tbps. All-Purpose Flour
4 cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock, heated
2 cups of Whole Milk, scalded
4 fresh Thyme Sprigs + 2 Bay Leaves, wrapped in Cheesecloth, tied tightly with Butcher's String
Kosher Salt and White Pepper to taste
8 tsp. of Porcini OR Truffle Oil (then it's a Truffle Essence)

Method:

Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and cover with the Cognac and the Hot Water to rehydrate. Let sit for 20 mintues, then drain, but reserve the liquid. If the dried mushrooms were bought whole, julienne into approx. 1/4" thickness and set aside. Heat the butter in a heavy saucepan or stock pot on medium high, and saute the onion, garlic, and celery until tranlucent, but not brown. Add the Fresh mushrooms and about a 1/2 tsp. of Kosher Salt. Saute until mushrooms are just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the flour to the vegetable and mushroom mixture, constantly stirring to create a "blonde roux", about 5-6 minutes, but be careful not to break up the mushrooms. Add the heated stock, 1/2 a cup at a time, while stirring so that the roux does not clump. Add the sliced rehydrated mushrooms, the Cognac-Mushroom liquid, the Scalded Milk, and the Thyme-Bay Leaves. Bring to a boil and lightly simmer for 30 minutes while stirring every few minutes to prevent any burning or sticking. Season to taste with the Kosher Salt and White Pepper. Serve immediately and using the Porcini or Truffle Oil, drizzle approx. 1 tsp. per portion over the soup.

Dh's favorite is Pasta e Fagioli. Mine is a little different from Julie's and PA Baker's. Dh is Italian and his mother taught me how to make it many years ago.

Pasta e Fagioli

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
about 2 cups canned tomatoes, broken up with a spoon (or 2 cups fresh diced)
3-4 cups chicken broth or water
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained (or cannellini beans)
1 – 1 1/2 cups ditali pasta or small shells (that’s approximate ... I usually use about 3 handfuls)
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
coarse salt & fresh ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade

IN large saucepan sauté onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil till soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic for 30 seconds, then add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a slow boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Return to a boil and add beans, pasta, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Add fresh basil just before removing from heat.

SERVE with freshly grated Parmesan, Parmigiano-Reggiano, or Asiago.

Was surprised to see a few carrot soups in this thread. I tried one last fall for the first time. Wow, talk about good.

Here are a couple other favorites:

Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 –4 medium sweet potatoes; peeled and cut in large chunks
4 – 5 cups chicken broth or stock
1/2 – 3/4 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
2 tablespoons diced canned chipotles

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sweat the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Raise the heat to high, add the sweet potatoes and stock, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat; puree in batches in a blender or blend in the pan with a blending stick. Add chipotles and crème Fraiche or cream. Heat for a few minutes more, seasoning to taste. Serve in bowls sprinkled with chives or pepitas.

~variation of a Bobby Flay recipe

Spicy Dahl Soup

Low-fat, healthy, and tastes great!

Spice Paste:
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 large garlic cloves
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, roughly chopped
1 T. ground coriander
1 t. ground cumin
2 t. turmeric powder
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
2 T. hot water

Put paste ingredients in food processor and process to a rough paste.

Heat 3 T. vegetable oil in large, heavy pan and fry the paste for 5 minutes. You have to stir continuously so it doesn’t stick and burn.

Add:
3/4 c. red lentils
3/4 c. yellow split peas
4-5 cups vegetable stock
1 can Rotel brand canned, chopped tomatoes w/green chilies

Bring it to a boil, cover and simmer gently. Check at 30 minutes, if not sooner. Stir frequently and add more stock or water if necessary.

* Optional: You can make a cream of yogurt mixed with cilantro; for richer flavor use crème fraiche. Add a dollop when serving

My favorite soup to make is Cream of chicken and mushroom. It comes out so creamy and flavorful.

My signature soup is Chicken Noodle. As I boil a bunch of broken chicken bones, gisards, the neck, skins, etc., the broth is very rich and full of chicken flavor. I chill the broth overnight and remove the fat the next day. Add the veggies, and when they're almost done, put in fresh egg noddles. Cook until the noodles are done. Add the saute'd chicken cubes into the bowl.

My favorite is, and I'm not sure this is a soup, but has similar characteristids, Chili.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

my favorite soups to make are escarole e fagiole, kale and chorizo, chicken noodle with cilantro, tom yum gai with shiitakes, and daub provencal.

most of my soups are really easy to make.
well, i make the tom yum from instant soup base/paste, then add chicken, scallions, and shiitakes. ok, it's cheating, but it's really good.
the escarole e fagiole is just a ton o' garlic browned in evoo, then toss in washed and chopped escarole, and cover with chicken or veggie stock. the final ingredients are locatelli cheese shaved over top, then served with crusty italian bread and cracked pepper evoo.
the chicken noodle is just a boiled skinned and quartered chicken, with celery, carrots, and onions. what makes it a little different is i use a 50/50 mix of parsley and cilantro tossed in just before serving over thin egg noodles. it adds a kind of perfume to it.
the kale and chorizo soup and daub provencal are a little more involved. i think i have posted both of those recipes here before.

I'd have to vote for just pure Clam Chowder...
Note: NOT that "stuff" with tomatoes in it, whatever that is.. tomato soup with clams?

Anyway, I'm not going to give a recipe 'cause there must be thousands of them on the web and probably posted here too. But I make "clam chowder" and not "potato soup" with a couple of cans of Snow's chopped clams added.

I'll mention a few things I do that might be a bit different than most... and I think adds to the personality of the chowder.

1.) I use 3 lbs or so of our fresh/live little "steamer clams".. the ones with shells about the size of a 50 cent piece... and, in a pot, saute some onion and garlic a bit in oil/butter, add 3/4th cup or so of drinkable white wine, toss in the clams, cover and steam JUST UNTIL the clams open... as I'm sure most of you know, clams can get tough almost as fast as calamari by overcooking.. so it's important to catch them at the exact time.

2.) Then, I take all but 5 or 6 clams and chop them, manually, or if I'm lazy, in the food processor... the other six I leave whole to add later as a garnish.. float one or two in each bowl and dust with hot Hungarian paprika.

3. The clams produce a lot of juice as they cook/open which, combined with the already white wine, pretty much covers my need for a "stock"..

4. In the pot with the sauteed onions/garlic, etc. I follow a procedure I read about in a Paul Prudhomme cookbook (sorry, forgot the name and I gave it to my now ex-wife when she moved out). What he did (and now I do) is... when you peel your potatoes to dice, leave one potato out and shred it (I use the very fine shredding blade on my mandoline).

Then, after the onions and celery have sauteed briefly, toss in the shredded "shoestring" potatoes and cook them down in the fat/butter until they soften and mostly dissolve. This is the "thickening" agent he/I use rather than making a rue (fat/flour) to later thicken it... you have a natural potato thickener. Prudhomme recommended cooking this down until it "sticks" to the bottom of your pot, then scrape it up ... I don't do this but if you can find his recipe, it's interesting and worth a try.

Then, toss in the cubed potatoes and JUST cover with the clam/wine broth... and simmer until the potatoes are just fork tender.

5.) Then I add the milk/half & half/whipping cream or whatever and toss in the chopped clams to heat... important I found to NOT boil this (learned the hard way) or if so, not for long. Then add a TBS of butter to your bowl along with a couple reserved whole clams, the bacon bits, and dust with the paprika.

If I'm feeling exotic, I take a few little semi-round loaves of Sourdough bread, cut the top off, hollow them out with a spoon, brush insides with olive or other oil, toss in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to "toast" and serve the chowder in them... put this in another bowl though 'cause it WILL ultimately leak through.

Whoops... I said I wasn't gonna give a "recipe" but I guess I did :rolleyes: .. oh well... someone might find it interesting...

I like to make cream of broccoli soup, cream of asparagus soup, and french onion soup. They are my very favorites!

I agree with the French Onion soup, chocolate.... I'm torn between that and the clam chowder I mention above.

I should have clarified that the amount of clams I suggest above is for my LARGE pot that I make for my backyard BBQ parties... for a normal batch at home, 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of live clams would be fine.

One thing I hated about making French Onion Soup was that it made a slave of me to the kitchen.. the long, slow browning of the onions... Then I saw a cooking show by Alton Brown where he used an electric fry pan (to be sure the heat was steady/constant).. set it at 300 degrees, layered the onions, butter, salt... came back in 20 minutes and tossed them around .. then you can check back every 15 minutes or so and stir them... while the whole process still takes an hour or more... I didn't have to stand around in the kitchen all the time being sure I didn't burn the onions.

So I make it more often now.. had to buy an electric fry pan but I got a great deal on Amazon.. they aren't too popular so the prices are good.

Back
Top Bottom