Whats your favorite soup to make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one that I really like. I don't know if I can say it is my favorite because I have some many that I enjoy, but this one is up near the top :)

Chorizo Leek and Potato Soup

2 tablespoons evoo
4 cloves garlic
1 onion – rough chop
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
5 cups vegi stock
12 oz. Potato peeled and fine chop
15 oz. Chickpeas drained
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2/3 cup heavy cream (I usually use light though)
2 tablespoons tahini
1 leek – green and white parts (clean well)
1 package chorizo
salt and pepper
Cayenne pepper

Heat oil in large pot and cook garlic, onion, leek, and chorizo till softened and golden brown (5 minutes or so).

Stir in cumin and coriander and cook for another minute.

Pour in stock and potato and chickpeas. Cook till tender.

Blend cornstarch, cream (cold), tahini, salt and pepper and stir into the soup.

Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes.

Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.

I like to make black bean soup. I don't exactly have a recipe, but this is about how I do it.

I put a hambone, or ham hock, or smoked joe bacon in a pot with water and a can of chicken broth. I simmer for an hour or so with some chopped onion, a little garlic, a bay leaf, a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and some celery. Then I add my pre-soaked black beans and cook til tender.

I remove the hambone, remove the meat, and return the meat to the pot. I check for seasoning and correct. Then I serve with cornbread, a salad, and a dollop of sour cream or salsa.

Carrot soup

9 oz of carrots ( chopped fine )
1 large onion ( chopped fine )
butter
chicken stock
salt and black pepper
cream

Fry the onion and the carrot in plenty of butter until they begin to get soft.
Transfer the carrots and the onion to a pot
pour in chicken stock ( approx 1 quart )
simmer slow and season with lots of fresh ground black pepper and some salt
When done remove from the heat and blend in mixer
Add cream and heat gently before serving

Note: If you wanna spice it up you can add cilantro into this soup! The flavour goes very well with the carrots.

Definately bean soups, chicken gumbo, chicken and dumplings, fish-based soups, potato soups, cheddar soups, squash soups, french onion soup, beef stew...I can truly say that I've yet to meet a soup I didn't like!

Carrot soup...a definite yum, leaf!

GB, yours calls strongly to me, too!

(copying...pasting...)

curried carrot soup
-simmer carrots till very tender in Kosher-salted-water.
-save some cooking water.
-set both aside to cool.
-saute onion and smashed garlic in butter/olive oil and add minced shallot at the last minute. season w/ white pepper, curry paste (i use green), and transfer to blender with a little cooking liquid and carrots. grind till still has plenty of texture and is grainy. begin adding heavy cream and pulsing the grind button. season lightly with fine seasalt.
-when smooth but still grainy, transfer to serving bowls. swirl in a little extra cream and garnish with scallions or chives. can be served warm or chilled.

By the way, toku, what does your signature mean? All I can make out is "smile away" at the end? And I may be way, way wrong there!

I make lots of "never the same way twice" soups with leftovers ... keep a bag in the freezer, and odds and ends of anything go into it. Periodically I buy sacks of leg/thigh chicken portions for next to nothing (recently I found them for 23 cents/lb!) and make stock. There are always canned beans on the shelf. I avoid pasta or rice because they don't hold up to abuse (there are only 2 of us, so much soup gets frozen for a later day).

But my favorite is split pea soup. I usually use ham hocks, but a ham bone is great too. If you cannot get ahold of either (rare, but has happened to me in my travels), then buy a pound of the smokiest bacon you can find, then sautee the veggies in it. You can use the meat or toss it once the bacon fat has infused the veggies. A great vegetarian version is to brush veggies with olive oil, then cook on your barbecue pit and use.

Cook a bag of split peas using about 3/4 of the water that is indicated on the bag, and the above veggies. If you are using ham hocks, I recommend boiling them in the water for an hour before you add the peas.

You got it. All you need is saltines or a good crustly loaf of bread. Or, of course

Pea soup and johnny cake,
Makes a Frenchman's belly ache.

Here are two of my favorites:

CARROT SOUP WITH SPINACH CHIFFONADE

*Note: I increased the amounts of ground ginger and fresh ginger, plus I added some ground cardamom and curry powder.

4 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth (I used 4 cups)
1 pound carrots, peeled, sliced
1 8-ounce russet potato, peeled, cut into cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I used about 1 1/2 tsp)

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger (I used about 1 1/2 tsp)
2 cups packed thinly sliced spinach leaves (I used flat leaf spinach, whole leaves)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I used more)

Combine 4 cups broth, carrots, potato, onion and ground ginger in large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. (I simmered vegetables about 15 minutes).

Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to processor. Puree until smooth. With machine running, gradually add soup broth to processor. Return soup to same saucepan, thinning with more broth if necessary. Add lemon juice and fresh ginger; simmer 3 minutes. Add spinach and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Swirl 1 heaping spoonful of yogurt into each bowl. (I used about 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons per bowl).

Serves 4.

Per serving: calories, 158; fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 1 mg; sodium, 127 mg

Bon Appétit
June 1995

YELLOW PEPPER SOUP

4 servings

1 onion, chopped (I used 1 large)
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 9 large cloves, crushed)
2 teaspoons olive oil (I used 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil)
1 1/2 lbs yellow peppers (I used 1 large yellow pepper and 1 large red pepper)
3/4 lb potatoes, cut into chunks (I used 1 medium potato, about 10 oz)
3 cups unsalted chicken stock (I used 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth)
1 tablespoon salt (less if using salted chicken broth) (I used less, of course)
1 chipotle pepper (canned) (I used a 4 oz can of mild green chilies and several shakes of some Cajun hot pepper sauce)
parmesan cheese (for garnish) (I used Parmigiano Reggiano)
extra virgin olive oil (for garnish)

1. Cook (sweat) onion, celery, carrot and garlic in olive oil until soft (about 10 minutes).
2. Bring stock to a boil.
3. Add peppers, potatoes, salt, chipotle and boiling stock.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
5. Puree in food processor or use an emersion blender.
6. Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of parmesan and EV olive oil.

Posted by Mean Chef on Fine Cooking Forum - "Stolen and altered from Red, White and Greens Cookbook."

This is a good soup to make on work nights. I usually cook the chicken the night before to save time.

Calico Minestrone Soup

1-49½ oz can chicken broth
½ cup uncooked small pasta (stars, shells, or alphabets, etc.)
2-14½ oz. cans Italian diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
2-15¼ oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 carrot, diced
4-5 Yukon gold or red potatoes, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 onion, wedged
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped

In a large pot, bring broth to boil. Stir in pasta and boil five minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serves: 4

This is one of those recipes that my family and I just die for. When it gets colder, I usually make this at least once a month.
You’ll notice that I caramelize the bacon, then add the vegetables and seasonings, and caramelize those as well. The reason for this is added flavor. When the vegetables hit the pan, and they start exuding their liquid, they will deglaze the pan a bit. However, once that liquid is cooked off, they will start to caramelize slightly. I look for this point. I’m always scraping the pan bottom trying to work all the good flavor into the vegetables, and once it’s gone, I start keeping an eye on the pan bottom to see when the onions start to caramelize a bit. When I start to see color again, I add the clams and juice to deglaze the pan again.
A couple other tips: Before you do any other prep for this recipe, place the bacon on a sheet pan and place it in the freezer. Prep the other ingredients, then cut the bacon last. This lessens the chance of any cross-contamination from the bacon to other things, as well as gives you an easier time cutting the bacon. And lastly, don’t add any salt until the very end, and taste it first! Then, if the chowder needs salt, add a little. Remember that you are using salt-cured bacon, and saltwater shellfish, so there will be plenty of salt in the chowder without needing any more.

Big Al’s Wicked Good Clam Chowder
Yields: 1 ½ gal

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that’s about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and “brown bits” in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.

Hey AllenMI...great recipe...almost the same recipe as I use. My only difference is I cook the bacon beforehand, and use a mirpoix.(Carrots,celery,and onion)

Tarragon and Thyme makes Clam Chowder better!!!

I'll post my Chicken Noodle recipe tomorrow!!!

The chicken soup:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108014

and the Matzoh Balls:

Abe Lebewohl’s Matzoh Balls(2nd Ave Deli NYC)

1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1/3 cup schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/3 cups matzoh meal

Fill a large, wide stockpot three quarters full of water, add 1 tabelspoon of the the salt and bring to a boil.

While the water is boiling, crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat thoroughly. Beat in the schmaltz 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and baking powder. Slowly stir in matzoh meal, mixing vigorously until completely blended.

Wet hands and, holding the mixture in your palms, shape perfect balls about 1 1/4 inches in diameter (they will double in size when cooked).

Gently place matzoh balls in the boiling water, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.

Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve immediately in hot chicken soup.

Here is the Black Bean Soup recipe I use:
http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/recipe.html?recipeID=13&list=1

I'm with masteraznchefjr.... French Onion Soup!! I could (and practically do) eat it every day!

AllenMI... I assumed you were from Michigan.... but the name of your clam chowder implies you're from Boston (like me) =)

Soup

I love soup!
French onion
Split Pea
Lentil
and Clam chowder are my favorites to make!

Clam Chowder ( mine is similar to AllenM's)
Minestrone
Beef vegetable

I really like 'em all, but these are a few of my favorites. :)

Pasta E Fagioli

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 strips bacon, finely diced (or 1/4 c. diced salt pork)
1 clove garlic, minced
16 oz chicken stock or broth
16 oz canned Italian tomatoes in juice, crushed
15 1/2 oz can Great Northern beans
1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup ditalini (tiny, tube-shaped pasta)

In 2 qt stockpot over low-medium heat, combine oil, onion, bacon, and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent and bacon browns. Add chicken stock and crushed tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add beans, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper. Simmer 3 - 4 minutes. In a large saucepan, boil pasta to al dente stage. Drain and add to soup.

Variations: Can add kidney beans, sliced celery and leaves, fresh basil, carrots, and miniature meatballs (1/4 lb ground sirloin, 1 small egg, and 2 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs).

Note: You can make the base of this soup and then freeze. Cook the pasta when you take out to reheat.

Back
Top Bottom