"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatLoveMove View Post
Whereabouts in Australia are you, binny?
WA the most expensive state in australia

Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by binny
WA the most expensive state in australia
Lol!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Can't find the edit button but a few more recipes. Its summer in Australia here now with heat reaching 39-43 degrees Celsius soups out of the menu. Ill type a few more if i have time. Its alot cheaper to make your own soups and they taste so much better than bought in and you know what you put inside it.

But i got a few more.

Chicken and mushroom veloute
200g mushrooms (Field) sliced
1 Leek diced leek
150g diced onion
Diced raw chicken (theigh/breast seems best)
80g of flour
3 sprigs of thyme
1 Sprig rosemary
Salt/ pepper
Chicken stock or water.
150ml cream

Method.
1 Sweat off onions and leeks till translucent then add chicken in and seal all edges.
2. Mix in mushrooms and cook out the mushrooms till most of the water comes out of it, season. leave on low heat
3 Stir in flour and work it till the flour becomes a paste cook out the flour to prevent any lumps for 5 minutes.Add in thyme/rosemary
4. Add stock till its just a few centimetres above the ingredients .
5 Allow to simmer for 10 minutes
6 Fish the rosemary and thyme out.
7. Add cream in and once it comes to the boil its ready. adjust seasoning

Note if you want a thicker soup add more flour if you want a lighter broth like add more stock . Adjust to however you like.

Butter nut Pumpkin soup
300g butternut pumpkin roughly chopped
150g Onion roughly chopped
150 g Royal blue potato roughly chopped
Chicken stock
100ml Cream
Thyme
Chives garnish

Method
1. Sweat off onion till translucent
2. Add in pumpkin and cook it for about 10 minutes on low this is to put some flavour in it.Add in thyme and season
3. Add stock and potatoes in and bring to boil then lower it to a simmer.
4. When potatoes and pumpkin are cooked (mushy) Puree the soup be sure that there is no lumps.
5. Blitz in cream and adjust seasoning. Use chives to garnish
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

We plant Russian Blue potatoes--more like purple potatoes. I love them! They are a nice addition to potato salad--Yukon Golds, Norlands (the red ones--might not be the right name) and Russian Blues...vinegar and olive oil dressing...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Executive Chef

i'm looking for a soup recipe that i lost and cannot find again. it used one head of cauliflower, one onion, and some olive oil. salt and pepper. that's it. has anyone seen or made this soup? the onion and cauliflower were sauted in the olive oil, and the cauliflower mixture was, at some point, pureed in a blender. i love basic recipes such as this, that surprise with their inexplicably big flavor....
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm looking for a soup recipe that i lost and cannot find again. it used one head of cauliflower, one onion, and some olive oil. salt and pepper. that's it. has anyone seen or made this soup? the onion and cauliflower were sauted in the olive oil, and the cauliflower mixture was, at some point, pureed in a blender. i love basic recipes such as this, that surprise with their inexplicably big flavor....
No, but I have a similar one. I just have to find it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
Master Chef

Healthy Cauliflower Soup

Healthy Cauliflower Soup

3 cups of water
3 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt
white pepper

In a 5-quart saucepan, add all ingredients except salt and white pepper.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
Strain off and reserve most of the liquid.
Place vegetables in a food processor and puree
Add pureed vegetables and reserved liquid back into the pot, add salt and white pepper, and reheat. This makes 6 servings.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Healthy Cauliflower Soup

3 cups of water
3 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt
white pepper

In a 5-quart saucepan, add all ingredients except salt and white pepper.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
Strain off and reserve most of the liquid.
Place vegetables in a food processor and puree
Add pureed vegetables and reserved liquid back into the pot, add salt and white pepper, and reheat. This makes 6 servings.
thank you, vb. it sure seems like soup weather to me, with days of flooding rain here....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I don't think your recipes sound boring at all! people at your work sound like they need to practice "gratitude and contentment" (advised to me by my fav monastic nun when my mom died last spring).

To sparkle them up, I sometimes sprinkle a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds on top....gives the soup a bit of crunch too. I guess you could also use croutons.

Another motto in food serving: "presentation is everything"....( which reminds me....DH packed up our salad this morning in a big, ugly old pyrex bowl with saran on top.....and I have so many pretty bowls!)

In our house, I cook, he serves, and cleans up afterwards (he doesn't cook at all, sob)....(or maybe that's a blessing ). I get to play, be the expert.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Master Chef

Ah, thank you for diging this thread up. Now that it is winter, now lets talk winter soup.

Tags
recipe, soups, soup

Winter Soup Recipes Hey guys I've been using these simple soup recipes for a while now at work and I thought i'd like to share it with some homecooks to pass on some knowledge. These soups are easy, cheap and taste great. I don't know the yield amount because i usually make 10 litres at a time. Also alot of people at my work complain that these soups are boring and uncreative but believe it or not these soups sell like hotcakes in winter. [B]Sweet potato and carrot soup[/B] Ingredients 500g Sweet potato 500g Carrot 150g Brown Onion 250ml Cream 1 Sprig Rosemary 40 g Butter Vegetable stock/chicken stock/ Water (your preference) Salt and Pepper Method 1. Peel all vegetables 2. Thinly slice onion/carrots and potato 3 Sweat off onion till translucent in a pot with a tiny bit of butter ,season 4 Add carrot and rosemary in and sweat until semi firm. 5 Add Stock or water and sweet potatoes (make sure it just slightly covers the vegetables if too much liquid it will dilute the flavour) 6 Simmer till vegetables are soft and remove rosemary 7 Puree soup with cream, Finish with butter and adjust seasoning (Sweating off onions and carrot releases the water and brings out the flavour) [B]Potato and Leek Ingredients [/B]500g Royal blue potato (peeled) 500g Leek (discard leaves) 150g Brown onion 25g Cumin seeds Stock or water Thyme Vegetable oil Salt pepper 40g Butter 250ml Cream Method 1. Finely cut leek and onion and quarter the potatoes (reduces cooking time by alot) Add oil inside pot heat until oil runs freely add cummin seeds and fry off for 20 seconds, add leek and onion 2. Fry till translucent, season and add thyme 3. Add potatoes with stock/water in the pot slightly covering the vegetables too 4. Simmer till potatoes are soft. remove thyme 5. Puree with cream, finish with butter and seasoning. Cabbage,lentil and bacon soup [B]Ingredients[/B] 150g Celery(finely diced) 150g Leek(finely diced) 150g Carrot(finely diced) 150g Royal blue Potato (finely diced) 150g brown onion(finely diced 100g streaky bacon 1/4 Green Cabbage (diced) 300g Green Lentils(soak over night) Chicken stock Thyme Salt,pepper Method 1. Peel all veg, remove leaves off celery/leek cut all into small 1/2 cm dice. Cut cabbage into rough chunks. Rough cut streaky bacon 2. Add oil to pot fry bacon till half cooked. Add all the vegetables in except for potato. Sweat until vegetables go translucent 3. Add Chicken stock and thyme in along with lentils 4. Slowly simmer soup till lentils are cooked. 3 stars 1 reviews