Winter Soup Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vitauta, just for you

Piroshky:
1 egg
2 packs quick rising yeast
2 cups milk
A pinch of sugar and 2 of salt
4 ½ cups flour plus more for kneading
Plus oil for kneading

Warm up the milk a little bit. Add sugar, egg, yeast, and mix well. Slowly add flour mixing well. After adding all flour kneed for few minutes, until dough comes off of the walls of the container you are using. Cover with the towel. Let it rise in a worm place. It should at least double in size. When that happens push the dough down, knead for another minute divide into small portions. Like a golf ball size, flatten it put the mixture in pinch to close, fry in oil seam side down first.

Solianka

Is the meal in a bowl and is perfect for a cold snowy night.

Ingredients:

Crosscut shank with bone in - 3.5 - 4 lb.

Large carrots, grated – 2

Parsnip, small to average, grated - 1

Large onion finely chopped – 1

Pickles large – 2(I use dill not vinegar pickles)

Olives, I mixed green and black chopped ones together – 1 cup
(My family doesn’t like olives, if you do like them - do not chop them at all)

Tomato sauce – 2 cans

Hot jalapeno pepper, chopped – 1 or 2

Red bell pepper, chopped – 1

Garlic, freshly chopped – 2-3 cloves

Lemmon juice – 1 table spoon

Parsley, dill – about a tea spoon each or more for dressing

Lemon, halved and sliced, for serving - 1

Rise – 2 cups

Cold cuts, cut into small cubes or chopped anyway you like about – 2
Cups

Salt and pepper to taste.

In the large pot cook beef or “the other white meat” (if you like) in about 6 quarts of water, cook uncut. Basically you need good meat base broth. I use beef and I like to cook it for a long time to make sure the beef is very tender. I like to cook with some salt and freshly ground pepper. After water boils I clean the foam of the top and at that time add onion, carrots and parsnip. And let it simmer till ready. Take the meat out and let it cool. Add pickles, olives, tomato sauce or paste, you’ll just need less of it, hot and sweet bell pepper and garlic. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes add rice. Now, about the cold cuts: I keep the whole bunch of them already cut in the freezer. It could be anything, salami and bologna, ham and smoked turkey, leftover of some cooked chicken you had the other day, hotdogs and bratwurst, if you like kidneys and tongue it is even better. Just through all of them into the pot let it cook till they are hot (they really do not have to be cooked, as they are already cooked). When meat gets cold enough to handle cut it into small cubes and add back to soup. Add lemon juice. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Soup has to be spicy and with a hint of tartness. Personally I prefer to use hot or cayenne pepper to make it spicy rather than black pepper.
For serving you’ll need sour cream or mayo-lemon mixture. I like to mix a little bit of mayo with some lemon juice, add about a half of a teaspoon for a bowl of soup. Slice the lemon and hang a half of a slice on the side of the bowl. For those who will want the soup tarter they will squeeze the juice right into the bowl. Sprinkle some dill and parsley and serve.

Vitauta, just for you

Piroshky:
1 egg
2 packs quick rising yeast
2 cups milk
A pinch of sugar and 2 of salt
4 ½ cups flour plus more for kneading
Plus oil for kneading

Warm up the milk a little bit. Add sugar, egg, yeast, and mix well. Slowly add flour mixing well. After adding all flour kneed for few minutes, until dough comes off of the walls of the container you are using. Cover with the towel. Let it rise in a worm place. It should at least double in size. When that happens push the dough down, knead for another minute divide into small portions. Like a golf ball size, flatten it put the mixture in pinch to close, fry in oil seam side down first.

Solianka

Is the meal in a bowl and is perfect for a cold snowy night.

Ingredients:

Crosscut shank with bone in - 3.5 - 4 lb.

Large carrots, grated – 2

Parsnip, small to average, grated - 1

Large onion finely chopped – 1

Pickles large – 2(I use dill not vinegar pickles)

Olives, I mixed green and black chopped ones together – 1 cup
(My family doesn’t like olives, if you do like them - do not chop them at all)

Tomato sauce – 2 cans

Hot jalapeno pepper, chopped – 1 or 2

Red bell pepper, chopped – 1

Garlic, freshly chopped – 2-3 cloves

Lemmon juice – 1 table spoon

Parsley, dill – about a tea spoon each or more for dressing

Lemon, halved and sliced, for serving - 1

Rise – 2 cups

Cold cuts, cut into small cubes or chopped anyway you like about – 2
Cups

Salt and pepper to taste.

In the large pot cook beef or “the other white meat” (if you like) in about 6 quarts of water, cook uncut. Basically you need good meat base broth. I use beef and I like to cook it for a long time to make sure the beef is very tender. I like to cook with some salt and freshly ground pepper. After water boils I clean the foam of the top and at that time add onion, carrots and parsnip. And let it simmer till ready. Take the meat out and let it cool. Add pickles, olives, tomato sauce or paste, you’ll just need less of it, hot and sweet bell pepper and garlic. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes add rice. Now, about the cold cuts: I keep the whole bunch of them already cut in the freezer. It could be anything, salami and bologna, ham and smoked turkey, leftover of some cooked chicken you had the other day, hotdogs and bratwurst, if you like kidneys and tongue it is even better. Just through all of them into the pot let it cook till they are hot (they really do not have to be cooked, as they are already cooked). When meat gets cold enough to handle cut it into small cubes and add back to soup. Add lemon juice. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Soup has to be spicy and with a hint of tartness. Personally I prefer to use hot or cayenne pepper to make it spicy rather than black pepper.
For serving you’ll need sour cream or mayo-lemon mixture. I like to mix a little bit of mayo with some lemon juice, add about a half of a teaspoon for a bowl of soup. Slice the lemon and hang a half of a slice on the side of the bowl. For those who will want the soup tarter they will squeeze the juice right into the bowl. Sprinkle some dill and parsley and serve.

thank you, charlied, for your recipes. i had never heard of solianka, but i see that i've really been missing something here! solianka sounds like a meaty, hearty and spicy soup that will surely be bubbling away in a big pot on my stove real soon....:)

Any time. You asked for piroshky in one of above posts, BUt I do hope you enjoy solianka too. I love making this soup in the winter. When it is really cold and I come intot he house after showeling the snow. The hot bowl of this soup not only feels me in and gets me warm, this is reall a whole meal.

Minestrone Soup

200g Streaky bacon thinly sliced
2 Large brown onions diced
1 leek Washed diced
2 Carrots peeled finely diced
1/4 Butternut Pumpkin Roughly Diced
1 Zucchini diced
300 Ml Crushed Tomatoes
Salt pepper to taste
35g Tomato Paste
100g Risoni Pasta
Fresh Oregano and Basil
Water

Cooking time 40 minutes - 1hr Prep time 25 minutes
Method
1. Fry Bacon with vegetables apart from zucchini till translucent medium heat
2. Add tomato Paste and combine into mixture and cook slightly season
3. Add Crushed tomatoes and water add slightly more water since it will reduce w zucchini
4. Simmer over low heat (30 minutes) taste soup (shouldn't have any tarty tomato taste if still tarty cook for a further 15-25 minutes.
5. Add Risoni in stir make sure the soup doesn't catch to the bottom of the pot. Leave on low heat for 5 minutes to cook the risoni
6 Turn off heat and Add oregano and fresh basil and let it infuse for a further 10 minutes .

Easy cheap soup great for winter.

Last edited:
Im trying this one this weekend, looks good but think by the pic it might need more broth.
Mommy's Kitchen - Country Cooking & Family Friendly Recipes: Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup

That does look good and I copied to try it later. Thanks. I think though that I might try adding a little more broth (and yes it does look like it needs more) and using the shelf-stable Barilla tortellini instead of refrigerated, simply because I like it better than what's in the grocery and also because it can pretty much be a pantry/freezer meal other than whatever green vege you use. Instead of the alternate spinach version, I would use swiss chard since we are growing some.

Oh boy, that does look/sound like a keeper recipe. Copied and saved.

I think GG could be be right...6 cups of broth with a can of tomatoes sounds like enough liquid to me. You could always add more at the end if needed.

Hmmm, it does look good. Love hearty soups for winter. Actually the older I get the more I like soup. I even started to eat mushroom Barley soup as of late. Mushroom was never a problem, the barley was. After eating it nearly every day for 2 years in the army, I could not stand it. But time is the best healer. Not even 35 years latter and I am eating it again. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom