Winter Soup Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binny

Assistant Cook
Hey guys I've been using these simple soup recipes for a while now at work and I thought i'd like to share it with some homecooks to pass on some knowledge. These soups are easy, cheap and taste great. I don't know the yield amount because i usually make 10 litres at a time.

Also alot of people at my work complain that these soups are boring and uncreative but believe it or not these soups sell like hotcakes in winter.

Sweet potato and carrot soup
Ingredients
500g Sweet potato
500g Carrot
150g Brown Onion
250ml Cream
1 Sprig Rosemary
40 g Butter
Vegetable stock/chicken stock/ Water (your preference)
Salt and Pepper

Method
1. Peel all vegetables
2. Thinly slice onion/carrots and potato
3 Sweat off onion till translucent in a pot with a tiny bit of butter ,season
4 Add carrot and rosemary in and sweat until semi firm.
5 Add Stock or water and sweet potatoes (make sure it just slightly covers the vegetables if too much liquid it will dilute the flavour)
6 Simmer till vegetables are soft and remove rosemary
7 Puree soup with cream, Finish with butter and adjust seasoning
(Sweating off onions and carrot releases the water and brings out the flavour)

Potato and Leek
Ingredients
500g Royal blue potato (peeled)
500g Leek (discard leaves)
150g Brown onion
25g Cumin seeds
Stock or water
Thyme
Vegetable oil
Salt pepper
40g Butter
250ml Cream

Method
1. Finely cut leek and onion and quarter the potatoes (reduces cooking time by alot)
Add oil inside pot heat until oil runs freely add cummin seeds and fry off for 20 seconds, add leek and onion
2. Fry till translucent, season and add thyme
3. Add potatoes with stock/water in the pot slightly covering the vegetables too
4. Simmer till potatoes are soft. remove thyme
5. Puree with cream, finish with butter and seasoning.

Cabbage,lentil and bacon soup
Ingredients
150g Celery(finely diced)
150g Leek(finely diced)
150g Carrot(finely diced)
150g Royal blue Potato (finely diced)
150g brown onion(finely diced
100g streaky bacon
1/4 Green Cabbage (diced)
300g Green Lentils(soak over night)
Chicken stock
Thyme
Salt,pepper

Method
1. Peel all veg, remove leaves off celery/leek cut all into small 1/2 cm dice. Cut cabbage into rough chunks. Rough cut streaky bacon
2. Add oil to pot fry bacon till half cooked. Add all the vegetables in except for potato. Sweat until vegetables go translucent
3. Add Chicken stock and thyme in along with lentils
4. Slowly simmer soup till lentils are cooked.

Last edited:
thank you, binny. i'll soon be putting a pot of soup on the stove again, now that the weather is giving us some respite from the heat. in particular, i like the looks of your cabbage, lentils and bacon recipe. i'm partial to each of the main three ingredients, and they should mesh beautifully together. i sure do love my soups. now, to locate that conversion chart.... :)

I think this thread should be banned. For one simple reason, the word "Winter" was mentioned. I barely got over last winter, thanks to unbearable heat and humidity and there you go and remind me about the cold and snow again, in the middle of the summer. Definitely, definitely should ban this thread.
Going to go report abuse.

I am joking, you know it, right?
;) :LOL:

CharlieD said:
I think this thread should be banned. For one simple reason, the word "Winter" was mentioned. I barely got over last winter, thanks to unbearable heat and humidity and there you go and remind me about the cold and snow again, in the middle of the summer. Definitely, definitely should ban this thread.

I miss winter! I'm one of those weirdos that likes the cold.

Now, about those soups. I will definitly have to try those first two. With that last one, do you think nappa cabbage or bok choy would work instead of the green cabbage? I can't eat cooked green or purple cabbage.

unfunny, charlied. report this snowman to the humor police. i am not joking, you know it, right? (i will listen to whatever charlied has to say about pierogies or borscht, though):)

Its winter in the southern hempisphere lol you should come to australia where we can have 43C summers with a ton of humidity with a nice hot gust of wind and swarms of flies.

I miss winter! I'm one of those weirdos that likes the cold.

Now, about those soups. I will definitly have to try those first two. With that last one, do you think nappa cabbage or bok choy would work instead of the green cabbage? I can't eat cooked green or purple cabbage.

Nappa cabbage would work fine but it'll taste a bit like fusion food. Bokchoy no bok choy has too of a strong taste.

The lovely thing about these soups is they'll probably cost you $5 of ingredients per one of those recipes with the expensive items being the cream/herbs/bacon.

And probably even cheaper if you live in the us unlike australia where everything is inflated and overpriced and of **** quality. If you need some more cheap recipes give me a yell I know quite a few

Last edited:
binny said:
Its winter in the southern hempisphere lol you should come to australia where we can have 43C summers with a ton of humidity with a nice hot gust of wind and swarms of flies.

Nappa cabbage would work fine but it'll taste a bit like fusion food. Bokchoy no bok choy has too of a strong taste.

The lovely thing about these soups is they'll probably cost you $5 of ingredients per one of those recipes with the expensive items being the cream/herbs/bacon.

And probably even cheaper if you live in the us unlike australia where everything is inflated and overpriced and of **** quality. If you need some more cheap recipes give me a yell I know quite a few

Whereabouts in Australia are you, binny?

Can't find the edit button but a few more recipes. Its summer in Australia here now with heat reaching 39-43 degrees Celsius soups out of the menu. Ill type a few more if i have time. Its alot cheaper to make your own soups and they taste so much better than bought in and you know what you put inside it.

But i got a few more.

Chicken and mushroom veloute
200g mushrooms (Field) sliced
1 Leek diced leek
150g diced onion
Diced raw chicken (theigh/breast seems best)
80g of flour
3 sprigs of thyme
1 Sprig rosemary
Salt/ pepper
Chicken stock or water.
150ml cream

Method.
1 Sweat off onions and leeks till translucent then add chicken in and seal all edges.
2. Mix in mushrooms and cook out the mushrooms till most of the water comes out of it, season. leave on low heat
3 Stir in flour and work it till the flour becomes a paste cook out the flour to prevent any lumps for 5 minutes.Add in thyme/rosemary
4. Add stock till its just a few centimetres above the ingredients .
5 Allow to simmer for 10 minutes
6 Fish the rosemary and thyme out.
7. Add cream in and once it comes to the boil its ready. adjust seasoning

Note if you want a thicker soup add more flour if you want a lighter broth like add more stock . Adjust to however you like.

Butter nut Pumpkin soup
300g butternut pumpkin roughly chopped
150g Onion roughly chopped
150 g Royal blue potato roughly chopped
Chicken stock
100ml Cream
Thyme
Chives garnish

Method
1. Sweat off onion till translucent
2. Add in pumpkin and cook it for about 10 minutes on low this is to put some flavour in it.Add in thyme and season
3. Add stock and potatoes in and bring to boil then lower it to a simmer.
4. When potatoes and pumpkin are cooked (mushy) Puree the soup be sure that there is no lumps.
5. Blitz in cream and adjust seasoning. Use chives to garnish

We plant Russian Blue potatoes--more like purple potatoes. I love them! They are a nice addition to potato salad--Yukon Golds, Norlands (the red ones--might not be the right name) and Russian Blues...vinegar and olive oil dressing...

i'm looking for a soup recipe that i lost and cannot find again. it used one head of cauliflower, one onion, and some olive oil. salt and pepper. that's it. has anyone seen or made this soup? the onion and cauliflower were sauted in the olive oil, and the cauliflower mixture was, at some point, pureed in a blender. i love basic recipes such as this, that surprise with their inexplicably big flavor....

i'm looking for a soup recipe that i lost and cannot find again. it used one head of cauliflower, one onion, and some olive oil. salt and pepper. that's it. has anyone seen or made this soup? the onion and cauliflower were sauted in the olive oil, and the cauliflower mixture was, at some point, pureed in a blender. i love basic recipes such as this, that surprise with their inexplicably big flavor....

No, but I have a similar one. I just have to find it.

Healthy Cauliflower Soup

Healthy Cauliflower Soup

3 cups of water
3 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt
white pepper

In a 5-quart saucepan, add all ingredients except salt and white pepper.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
Strain off and reserve most of the liquid.
Place vegetables in a food processor and puree
Add pureed vegetables and reserved liquid back into the pot, add salt and white pepper, and reheat. This makes 6 servings.

Healthy Cauliflower Soup

3 cups of water
3 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt
white pepper

In a 5-quart saucepan, add all ingredients except salt and white pepper.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
Strain off and reserve most of the liquid.
Place vegetables in a food processor and puree
Add pureed vegetables and reserved liquid back into the pot, add salt and white pepper, and reheat. This makes 6 servings.

thank you, vb. it sure seems like soup weather to me, with days of flooding rain here....

I don't think your recipes sound boring at all! people at your work sound like they need to practice "gratitude and contentment" (advised to me by my fav monastic nun when my mom died last spring).

To sparkle them up, I sometimes sprinkle a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds on top....gives the soup a bit of crunch too. I guess you could also use croutons.

Another motto in food serving: "presentation is everything"....( which reminds me....DH packed up our salad this morning in a big, ugly old pyrex bowl with saran on top.....and I have so many pretty bowls!)

In our house, I cook, he serves, and cleans up afterwards (he doesn't cook at all, sob)....(or maybe that's a blessing ;)). I get to play, be the expert.

Back
Top Bottom