Your favorite soup for winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you ever made Manhattan Clam Chowder, Addie? The tomato based one?

Last edited:
Have you ever made Manhattan Clam Chowder, Addie? The tomato based one?

No. And I have never even tasted it. I would feel like I was a traitor to my New England heritage. As a Native American I tend to stick close to home. Such as true succotash is one of my favorite dishes. Lima beans and corn. Unfortunately, any veggie now that contains a skin such as peas, corn, beans do not agree with my digestive system. But occasionally I break out of this dang restricted diet and eat what I want. And corn chowder is one of them.

I used to love clam chowder - New England style as I was allergic to tomatoes as a kid and never grew to like them. I will have the occasional fresh tomato but don't like sauces or broths. I don't know if I am still allergic because I don't eat enough of them! TB things I am a very strange person because I don't eat ketchup. I will put it on my meatloaf as a glaze, but that is about it. I don't even have tomato sauce on my pizza!

As for the creamy clam chowder, my mysterious throat problems don't allow me to swallow things with a certain texture as in clams and all shellfish. There are other things as well, but this is all about soup!

Im a ' Brothy kinda guy' too. My wife likes thicker, chunkier soup with a lot of stuff in it. I enjoy that too, but its the broth I enjoy most

Im also the only one who eats leftovers, and when I make soup, I make a HUGE pot of soup. Usually takes me a week to finish it all up.

Yep, same here. I love leftovers, especially soup. It always tastes better the second day...or third. I had my deviated septum fixed 2 weeks ago, and the day before the surgery I made a huge pot of chicken soup and that's what I ate for the whole next week while I couldn't cook. Not sure what my husband ate; I was too miserable to care. I'm guessing eggs since he doesn't shop and that's about the only thing he cooks.

Years ago, when I was maybe 10 years old, we vacationed in main. A small family owned cabins on a lake kinda place. All the meals were home made. Their corn chowder was so good, when it was time for dessert, everyone else got the freshly baked pies, cakes, cookies and ice cream, I went for another bowl of the corn chowder. To this day, I've been known to get soup for dessert. The look on the faces of the waiter/ waitress is usually priceless, and my wife has learned (over the years) not to be 'that' embarrassed by my dessert choice. I just love soup.

Years ago, when I was maybe 10 years old, we vacationed in main. A small family owned cabins on a lake kinda place. All the meals were home made. Their corn chowder was so good, when it was time for dessert, everyone else got the freshly baked pies, cakes, cookies and ice cream, I went for another bowl of the corn chowder. To this day, I've been known to get soup for dessert. The look on the faces of the waiter/ waitress is usually priceless, and my wife has learned (over the years) not to be 'that' embarrassed by my dessert choice. I just love soup.

I've had a lobster bisque which I would have gladly eaten for dessert - or breakfast.... or any other meal. It was a starter in a good restaurant in the Denver area, and was maybe the best soup I ever tasted.

There used to be another restaurant there that had the best split pea soup too (their specialty), and that was also wonderful. My mother had obtained the restaurant's recipe and made it fairly often for holidays with the family (all of us kids were required to freeze any leftover ham bones we had and bring them along when we visited). We didn't find that little pamphlet of Hungry Dutchman restaurant recipes when she passed, and the restaurant closed many years ago, so it's apparently another one lost to history.

While typing this I decided to Google it, and found what is represented as the pea soup from the Dutchman... I'm going to try it the next time I have a ham bone. Hopefully it's the right one... looks like what I recall, but that doesn't mean much. :wacko:

Quick question what is the difference between New England and Manhattan clam chowders?

Also I am seeing that maybe I am missing out on vegi soups. Through the winter make a roast what ever (mainly chicken or beef) and use the stock. Beef veg or barley or... same with chicken veg and rice homemade biscuits etc.
Even when I make tomato soup. I start with a beefy soup bone roast it then add cans of tomatoes onions garlic a can of Campbell’s tomato soup for flavour and consistency my nieces and nephew like it that way. Then I’ll roast that in the oven for a low and slow time eventually pull out the bone then chunk the beef back in.
Potato soup is similar except a chicken base with chicken chunks my wife likes that one.

Thanks. My wife told me I should be using the squash we have to dinner will be potato squash turkey soup. My first go at this exact combo but potato squash are nice so I think it will be good

Last edited:
So tonight I made creamy turkey potato squash soup. I attached a picture

Attachments

• FDC0058D-0EE4-40DD-8920-2BBAD6AFE233.jpg
    FDC0058D-0EE4-40DD-8920-2BBAD6AFE233.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 154

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom