"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Your favorite soup for winter?

I LOVE soup, but unfortunately the wife is not a real soup eater. So we never have it, unless I put together a soup in the crockpot before leaving for work. I have to be sneaky. It's a rare treat.

Here's Friar Bernard 'Solanus' Casey (beard) serving up soup to the poor during the Great Depression. Not shown is a table next to it with a bunch of rolls of crusty bread. I just read in my news feed today that he's about to be beatified through the church for his lifetime of serving the poor.

Soup is the perfect meal -- hearty, satisfying, frugal. I usually just make a veggie beef soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. What's your favorite soup?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hard to say, I just love soup. Make many kinds and don't think I have a favorite.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Oh, most definitely veggie beef soup with Gramma's egg dumplings. Followed closely by (in no order) split pease, clam chowder, and if no clams, cream of potato of course with bacon, Dx's homemade chix noodle, and CHILI.

I give myself mixed messages regarding pureed soups. I don't care too much for their consistency, reminds me of baby food. Crackers, Lots of crackers. On the other hand, I like the flavors of cream of broccoli, broccoli cheese, curried butternut squash, Wisconsin beer cheese and more.

I only serve soup as a main course, not as a starter.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Head Chef

My wife also isn't a soup fan, yet me and my daughter are.
I've been known to order soup for dessert wen we go out to eat. Both my wife and the waiter/ waitress often look at me as if Im crazy when i do it, but I dont care ( and my wife has gotten used to it already)

Favorite winter soups:
Split Pea
Mushroom Barley
My grandmothers vegetable soup ( yellow split pea base)
My vegetable soup ( red tomato base)

Although I make soup year round, the above are the ones I am more likely going to make in the colder months.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Master Chef

I didn't really appreciate soup, as a meal, when I was young but now it is a regular feature in my life!

In the winter I make vegetable beast with barley, when I can get a good deal on beef shanks.

I also enjoy making, Senate Bean Soup, Split Pea, Zuppa Toscana, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Tomato and Stone Soup or Fridge Soup.

Even a can of Campbell's!

Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Okay, split pea soup or bean soup with large chunks of ham and lots of ham stock.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Master Chef

Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.
Forgot about the French Onion Soup ( Thanks for the reminder )
And I also forgot Corn Chowder. Just made it the other day.
Oh yeah, and theres a potato/ barley soup I make too ( similar to an old Ratner's recipe)

When I was a kid ( and not a vegetarian), I remember my dad making Clam chowder (Manhattan) on a cold Sunday morning. He'd get it going about 8am, and have it ready for lunchtime.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My very favorite soup is Zuppa Toscana, but a close second is Split Pea with ham. Chicken noodle is near the top of the list too. I also love pork soups but as much as I enjoy eating beef, it just doesn't do it for me in a soup. I really like French Onion soup, Potato soup, broccoli cheese soup, but a mixed veggie soup just isn't my thing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Chili is definitely my favorite soup, and during the winter I've been known to make it as often as once every couple of weeks. It seems to warm you up from the inside out.

In fact, I'm taking a pot of chicken chili to the office today for my coworkers.

Tags
soup