Your favorite soup for winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
I LOVE soup, but unfortunately the wife is not a real soup eater. So we never have it, unless I put together a soup in the crockpot before leaving for work. I have to be sneaky. It's a rare treat.

636459222141555009-1941-solnaus-at-soup-kitchen.jpg

Here's Friar Bernard 'Solanus' Casey (beard) serving up soup to the poor during the Great Depression. Not shown is a table next to it with a bunch of rolls of crusty bread. I just read in my news feed today that he's about to be beatified through the church for his lifetime of serving the poor.

Soup is the perfect meal -- hearty, satisfying, frugal. I usually just make a veggie beef soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. What's your favorite soup?

Last edited:
Oh, most definitely veggie beef soup with Gramma's egg dumplings. Followed closely by (in no order) split pease, clam chowder, and if no clams, cream of potato of course with bacon, Dx's homemade chix noodle, and CHILI.

I give myself mixed messages regarding pureed soups. I don't care too much for their consistency, reminds me of baby food. Crackers, Lots of crackers. On the other hand, I like the flavors of cream of broccoli, broccoli cheese, curried butternut squash, Wisconsin beer cheese and more.

I only serve soup as a main course, not as a starter.

My wife also isn't a soup fan, yet me and my daughter are.
I've been known to order soup for dessert wen we go out to eat. Both my wife and the waiter/ waitress often look at me as if Im crazy when i do it, but I dont care ( and my wife has gotten used to it already)

Favorite winter soups:
Split Pea
Mushroom Barley
My grandmothers vegetable soup ( yellow split pea base)
My vegetable soup ( red tomato base)

Although I make soup year round, the above are the ones I am more likely going to make in the colder months.

I didn't really appreciate soup, as a meal, when I was young but now it is a regular feature in my life!

In the winter I make vegetable beast with barley, when I can get a good deal on beef shanks.

I also enjoy making, Senate Bean Soup, Split Pea, Zuppa Toscana, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Tomato and Stone Soup or Fridge Soup.

Even a can of Campbell's! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOyymOJ5tk

Last edited:
Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.

Since we really don't have winter here, soup is an all year thing. Homemade French onion probably tops the list.

Forgot about the French Onion Soup ( Thanks for the reminder ;) )
And I also forgot Corn Chowder. Just made it the other day.
Oh yeah, and theres a potato/ barley soup I make too ( similar to an old Ratner's recipe)

When I was a kid ( and not a vegetarian), I remember my dad making Clam chowder (Manhattan) on a cold Sunday morning. He'd get it going about 8am, and have it ready for lunchtime.

My very favorite soup is Zuppa Toscana, but a close second is Split Pea with ham. Chicken noodle is near the top of the list too. I also love pork soups but as much as I enjoy eating beef, it just doesn't do it for me in a soup. I really like French Onion soup, Potato soup, broccoli cheese soup, but a mixed veggie soup just isn't my thing.

Last edited:
Chili is definitely my favorite soup, and during the winter I've been known to make it as often as once every couple of weeks. It seems to warm you up from the inside out.

In fact, I'm taking a pot of chicken chili to the office today for my coworkers.

OQWsSm9.jpg

If stew counts, my favorite is pork posole verde :yum: I also enjoy French onion, Italian wedding and loaded potato soups and clam chowder. Oh, and German sausage and potato soup.

Where to start! I can't say have one favorite. But some I really love are:

Mom's Chicken Broth with Egg and Lemon
French Onion
Tom Yum Oong
Beef Barley
Chinese Hot and Sour
Cream of Mushroom (homemade)
Black Bean

Chicken and sausage gumbo. I only make it in the winter, and only on a cold day.

CD

In the winter, I love to make a batch of squash soup, usually butternut. I roast the butternut along with an onion, a carrot, and a red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, then simmer them in chicken broth and white wine until they’re mush. Then I blend it all up with my immersion blender, push it through a strainer, and finish it with cream and butter (and some extra broth if it’s too thick). Oh, did I mention nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon? And salt, of course. A bit work-intensive, but worth every minute!

If I need some soup in a hurry and don’t have any on hand, though, Chinese egg drop soup is my go-to. Quick, easy, cheap, and it has protein. The cornstarch seems to make the warmth of the soup adhere to my soul!

Do Indian curries count as soup, or are they more of topping or dip? If they count as soup, I vote for butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, or malai kofta. Warm flavors, creamy, and satisfying!

Also, red lentil soup, North African style.

Do Indian curries count as soup, or are they more of topping or dip? If they count as soup, I vote for butter chicken, chicken tikka masala, or malai kofta. Warm flavors, creamy, and satisfying!

Also, red lentil soup, North African style.

I prefer Thai curries.;)

Back
Top Bottom