Your QUICKEST soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Campbell's Chunky when time is of the utmost essence - it's not gourmet, but I can tolerate it when I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, I always make it a point to cook a little extra meat whenever I cook. Typically, the chicken goes into chicken noodle soup and the beef goes into vegetable beef soup. I add whatever veggies have seniority in the refer. It's a relatively fast preparation since the meat is already cooked.

My husband has you two beat - open can and eat soup out of can - EVEN cream of whatever - :sick:

okay i thought I was the only one who did that... scary

middie said:
My husband has you two beat - open can and eat soup out of can - EVEN cream of whatever - :sick:

okay i thought I was the only one who did that... scary
And to think that I'm getting hammered on for liking tongue! :ohmy:

PS: Mushroom is another really fast soup.

My quickest comes from multiple cans, but not soup cans.

Vegetable beef. Open a can of green beans and put in the pot. Do the same with 1 can of pinto beans. Qicl;y peel and dice an onion. Throw into the pot. Quickly peel and chop 2 carrots. Wash and slice a stalk of cellery. Throw the carrots and celery into the pot. Add for tbs. canned sweet corn, and 2 tbs. lentils. Add just enough water to cover the veggies. Heat until lightly boiling.

While the soup is getting hot, lightly salt both sides of a steak, any kind you have handy. Fry in a very hot pan, with a tbs. of sunflower or your favorite cooking oil. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and cut into small chunks.

Taste the soup broth and corect the seasoning. Continue cooking until the carot slices are done to your liking. Add the meat and remove from the heat.

Serve with good whole wheat bread and butter.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This is one of the simplest soups that I make.

Egg Drop Soup​

4 cups chicken broth
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-2 green onions, minced
¼ teaspoon white pepper
Salt, to taste
Few drops of sesame oil, optional

In a wok or saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the white pepper and salt, and the sesame oil, if using. Cook for about another minute. Very slowly pour in the eggs in a steady stream. To make shreds, stir the egg rapidly in a clockwise direction for 1 minute. To make thin streams or ribbons, gently stir eggs in a clockwise direction until they form. Garnish with green onion and serve. Serves 2-4.

sc, do you like nori, or any kind of dried seaweed, like dulse or laver? a little place in chinatown i found sells eggdrop/seaweed soup. it's fantastic and very healthy for you.

i've wanted to make it at home, but i've never tried making my own egg drop soup. i'm gonna try your recipe and techniques, then add some sheets of roasted laver or nori.

Whoa. SierraCook, its like were reading my mind. I have been thinking about egg drop soup and lo and behold here is the recipe. Thanks!

Buckytom, post and let us know how it goes with the nori. I would be interested in hearing if that works well. Are you going to cut it into strips first?

buckytom said:
sc, do you like nori, or any kind of dried seaweed, like dulse or laver? a little place in chinatown i found sells eggdrop/seaweed soup. it's fantastic and very healthy for you.

i've wanted to make it at home, but i've never tried making my own egg drop soup. i'm gonna try your recipe and techniques, then add some sheets of roasted laver or nori.

BT, I have never tried using nori. That could be interesting. The next time I visit Reno, NV I will drop by the International Food Market and get some. I like this recipe because of it's simplicity and ingredients can be added or subtracted depending on your mood or tastes.

Alix, you are very welcome. I hope that you like the recipe.

SC :)

the split pea soup i made yesterday was quick to make. it took awhile to cook down, but only took a few minutes to put together.
i mixed about a cup of dried split peas, ham and ham base, lots and lots of black pepper, water, a small onion, diced, and a smushed garlic clove, then turned it on and let it cook way down. i did have to add water a couple of times, though.
it made two nice servings.

:) Bean Soup

Take some chopped onion sliced celery and some sliced carrots.
Saute the above then add a can of butter beans and some cut up lunch meat ham.simmer add garlic ,tyme and black pepper.
Serve with some grated cheese.

Here's mine.
Beef and Tortellini Soup
1 lb grouind beef
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes in puree
1 can french onion soup
1 pkg. frozen green beans
1 pkg cheese tortellini
1 tsp. dried basil
3 1/2 cups of water
1 med zucchini. chopped

Brown meat until browned and juices evaporate. Add all other ingredients, EXCEPT zucchiniheat to boiling. Reduce heat to med . and cover and cook 10 mins.
Add zucchini and cook uncovered for about 10 mins.

Tortilla Soup
1 (28 oz.) can of yellow hominy
1 (28 oz.) can of white hominy (drain both cans if a thicker soup is wanted)
2 14 oz. cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes, chopped
2 14oz. cans of chicken broth or use your own
1 tbs. chili powder or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
You can add chopped, cooked chicken to this also to taste
For topping
broken tortilla chips
grated Jack, cheddar or the combination of your choice
Put all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Or for stove-top: let simmer til hot. Serve over broken chips and top with grated cheese. This recipe can be halved or doubled easily. Add chopped green onions, olives, avocado slices or sour cream.

Cold Weather Mexican Soup

Boil water (about 2/3 full in stockpot)
then add:
enough chicken bouillon cubes for a good broth.
4 russet potatoes, each skinned and cut into large cubes.
1 large pkg Louis Rich cooked chicken pieces, cutting any that are too big.

When potatoes are cooked, add:
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 jar Trader Joe's Habenero and Lime Salsa (if you don't have Trader Joe's, any GOOD medium-spicy salsa will do)
4 stalks cut-up celery
1 small pkg. frozen sweet corn
1 can (undrained) pinto beans
1 can red kidney beans.

Boil till flavor mixes well.
Top each individual bowl with a large serving of shredded cheddar, and put a few thick tortilla chips on top.

It's also delish when you float a few slices of avocado on top!

Can of V-8, cremora and nuke it. ..... Hey I was hungry and hadn't gone shopping yet.

Back
Top Bottom