"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Campbell's Chunky when time is of the utmost essence - it's not gourmet, but I can tolerate it when I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, I always make it a point to cook a little extra meat whenever I cook. Typically, the chicken goes into chicken noodle soup and the beef goes into vegetable beef soup. I add whatever veggies have seniority in the refer. It's a relatively fast preparation since the meat is already cooked.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
My husband has you two beat - open can and eat soup out of can - EVEN cream of whatever -

okay i thought I was the only one who did that... scary

Old 05-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
My husband has you two beat - open can and eat soup out of can - EVEN cream of whatever -

okay i thought I was the only one who did that... scary
And to think that I'm getting hammered on for liking tongue!

PS: Mushroom is another really fast soup.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:39 AM   #24
Master Chef

My quickest comes from multiple cans, but not soup cans.

Vegetable beef. Open a can of green beans and put in the pot. Do the same with 1 can of pinto beans. Qicl;y peel and dice an onion. Throw into the pot. Quickly peel and chop 2 carrots. Wash and slice a stalk of cellery. Throw the carrots and celery into the pot. Add for tbs. canned sweet corn, and 2 tbs. lentils. Add just enough water to cover the veggies. Heat until lightly boiling.

While the soup is getting hot, lightly salt both sides of a steak, any kind you have handy. Fry in a very hot pan, with a tbs. of sunflower or your favorite cooking oil. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and cut into small chunks.

Taste the soup broth and corect the seasoning. Continue cooking until the carot slices are done to your liking. Add the meat and remove from the heat.

Serve with good whole wheat bread and butter.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #25
Master Chef

This is one of the simplest soups that I make.

Egg Drop Soup

4 cups chicken broth
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1-2 green onions, minced
¼ teaspoon white pepper
Salt, to taste
Few drops of sesame oil, optional

In a wok or saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the white pepper and salt, and the sesame oil, if using. Cook for about another minute. Very slowly pour in the eggs in a steady stream. To make shreds, stir the egg rapidly in a clockwise direction for 1 minute. To make thin streams or ribbons, gently stir eggs in a clockwise direction until they form. Garnish with green onion and serve. Serves 2-4.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

sc, do you like nori, or any kind of dried seaweed, like dulse or laver? a little place in chinatown i found sells eggdrop/seaweed soup. it's fantastic and very healthy for you.

i've wanted to make it at home, but i've never tried making my own egg drop soup. i'm gonna try your recipe and techniques, then add some sheets of roasted laver or nori.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #27
Everymom

Whoa. SierraCook, its like were reading my mind. I have been thinking about egg drop soup and lo and behold here is the recipe. Thanks!

Buckytom, post and let us know how it goes with the nori. I would be interested in hearing if that works well. Are you going to cut it into strips first?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
sc, do you like nori, or any kind of dried seaweed, like dulse or laver? a little place in chinatown i found sells eggdrop/seaweed soup. it's fantastic and very healthy for you.

i've wanted to make it at home, but i've never tried making my own egg drop soup. i'm gonna try your recipe and techniques, then add some sheets of roasted laver or nori.
BT, I have never tried using nori. That could be interesting. The next time I visit Reno, NV I will drop by the International Food Market and get some. I like this recipe because of it's simplicity and ingredients can be added or subtracted depending on your mood or tastes.

Alix, you are very welcome. I hope that you like the recipe.

SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #29
Master Chef

the split pea soup i made yesterday was quick to make. it took awhile to cook down, but only took a few minutes to put together.
i mixed about a cup of dried split peas, ham and ham base, lots and lots of black pepper, water, a small onion, diced, and a smushed garlic clove, then turned it on and let it cook way down. i did have to add water a couple of times, though.
it made two nice servings.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #30
Head Chef

Roman chicken noodle, tear open pk and add to 2 cups water and simmmer.

Tags
None