Your QUICKEST soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey, when you're hungry....

that should be it's own thread: what odd combonation of food have you slapped together when you were really hungry and didn't want to go to the store?

I can just imagine the posts!

Go start one. I'm right behind you. I think I would have to title mine Odd Cheez Whiz combos. Thats what I usually grab when there isn't much else lying around.

a good quick soup i like to make is a creamy tomato basil. i start off with 2 number 10 cans of tomato puree 2 cans of crushed tomatoes a couple pints of cherry tomatoes 4-5 quarts of heavy cream, salt pepper, sugar, and fresh basil. first dump all the puree into a pot with the heavy cream, salt pepper, and sugar. while thats cooking i put the crushed tomatoes into a robo coupe and puree. add that to the pot and puree the cherry tomatoes really fine and add. (this makes it taste like it was made with all fresh tomatoes) let it cook and before you take it off the stove finely chop the fresh basil and add. it might take you 1/2 hour if that to make but it's really good.

lazy day veggie soup is another:
open a can of mixed veggies and drain, dump into a pan, and add water and beef base. heat through.

green bean soup, too. i know PDS makes something very similar this, too.
drain a can of french-cut green beans. add beef base and water and worcestershire, garlic powder and black pepper.

One can each of the following, plus their juice:

red beans
pinto beans
black beans
RoTel tomatoes
stewed tomatoes (2 cans)
whole kernel corn

dump in pan, add 1 chopped sauteed onion and 1 package each dry taco seasoning mix and ranch style dressing mix.

Add cooked meat if you want. Makes a ton of soup.

Mudbug, Paula Deen makes a similar soup and I thought that the addition of both black and green olives might be too much. Boy, was I wrong!! My husband loved her Taco soup and he is not one that really likes beans!!

Interesting, Shunka. Never would have thought of adding olives (don't like the green ones, except in martinis). May try making the next batch with the black ones, though. Handy Husband loves beans, so that is never a problem here.

CRAB AND CORN CHOWDER

6 ears of fresh corn (I have bought frozen on the cob and it has worked well)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 bunch green onions chopped (I love green onions and often use more than 1/2 a bunch)
1 quart of chicken stock heated (use home made if you can, but canned with the fat skimmed is good)
1 quart of half and half
2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of white pepper (black works fine but is not as attractive)
1 pound of crabmeat (have used canned, frozen and imitation and all have worked fine)

Cut the kernels from the ears of corn and set aside, discard the cobs
Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan and blend in the flour, cook for about 3 minutes (you are making a light roux)
Add the chopped green onions and cook while stirring until the onions soften, 2 minutes or so.
Whisk in the hot stock and bring to a boil
Add the half and half and the corn
Add the salt and pepper
Bring to a rolling boil and turn down to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about a quart and a half
Fold in crabmeat season to taste and serve

You can use shrimp instead of the crab or even clams or oysters
I have used all with good results

NOW ENJOY!!!!!​

Back
Top Bottom