Allen’s Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yields: ~ 1 gal

2 ¼ # Beef round steak, cut into large cubes
2 qt beef stock
Vegetable oil and/or clarified butter, as needed
1 c onions, chopped
3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
1 ½ c celery, chopped
1 T garlic, minced
½ t thyme
½ t oregano
2 bay leaves
2 c frozen corn
-or- one 14.5 oz can corn
1 ½ c barley
1 - 1 ½ # potatoes, peeled and diced large
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 c frozen peas
One 14.5 oz can green beans
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste

In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the oil or butter over high heat until smoking. Add the beef and brown in a single layer, turning the meat so it browns evenly. You may have to do this in batches to keep from crowding the meat.
Once the meat is browned, add the stock, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until tender, 2 - 3 hours.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add a little vegetable oil to it. Combine the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, and oregano, and sauté just until the onions are translucent and the mixture begins to caramelize. Add this to the stew, along with the corn, barley, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, green beans, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the veggies are done and the barley is tender, about 15 minutes.
Taste to check for seasoning, and ladle into bowls to serve.

Notes: I only used 3 pt of stock. The 2 qt listed is for next time. Also, I only used one cup of quick-cooking barley. PeppA wanted more, so that's another "next time" adjustment. Finally, I forgot to add the peas entirely, but I'll get those in next time.

sounds very very good.
You've made me decide to make a stew this weekend!
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom