Barbecued Beef Stew w/ Cheddar Corn Pudding & dark ale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flourgirl

Senior Cook
This is a great cold-weather meal that we have often during Sunday football games. It seems long, but is actually very easy to do.

Stew:
3 1/2 pounds trimmed beef chuck, cut into chunks
1 tsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tb. vegetable oil
3 med. onions, chopped
12 ounces dark beer (the darker the better)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tb. cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
3 Tb. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 Tb. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. dried marjoram
1 dried chipotle chili

Cheddar Corn Pudding:
1 stick unsalted butter
5 cups fresh corn kernals (or frozen)
1 large vidalia onion, chopped
4 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
3/4 cup cour cream or softened cream cheese
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup sour cream
1 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
shot of tobasco
shot of worcestershire
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

For stew:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season beef with salt and pepper.
Brown beef in oil in dutch oven and remove to plate. Saute onion until golden. Return meat to pan along with collected juices. Add beer, cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire, cumin, mustard, marjoram and chipotle chile. Bring just to boil, cover and transfer to oven.

Bake stew for 2- 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is fork tender, remove from oven and increase oven temp. to 375 degrees.

Corn Pudding:
Saute onion and corn kernals in butter until onion is cooked through, let cool. Whisk eggs, milk and cream, add cornmeal and sour cream, sugar, salt, pepper, tobasco and worcestershire. Add corn, onions and cheddar.

Fish out chipotle chili from stew and puree in it a blender, then stir back into stew. Prepare corn pudding and spoon the pudding on top and spread evenly. Bake 45-55 minutes, or until corn pudding is golden on top and brown around the edges and just set in the center.

Serve.

This sounds so good to me! Thank you for posting it. I'm thinking of making it next weekend for the football guys. :)

This does sound great...Just what I was looking for. I have a new 7.25 qt Le Creuset dutch oven and don't know how to best use it. Any more ideas??

3babies said:
This does sound great...Just what I was looking for. I have a new 7.25 qt Le Creuset dutch oven and don't know how to best use it. Any more ideas??

I make mine in the same dutch oven, mine's the blue, I'm trying to put together a whole set in blue, love mine! What color is yours? I make my pot roast, braciole, baked beans and chicken & dumplings in it too. Good luck and have fun with it!

This sounds "Too Faboo"! I love this idea.
My sister just made a mexican stew with cornbread on the side. I was trying to convince her to bake the cornbread atop the stew. No sale.
This is a keeper and creuset or not, use a heavy dutch oven.

Back
Top Bottom