Beef and Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a good recipe for Beef and Noodles. I have stew meat, and thought about making a Stew, but I got rather confused on how to do that, so i thought Beef and Noodles might be easier. I have never made anything with stew meat, i'm assuming i still need to coat in flour and brown in an oiled pan with onions and garlic? This would probably be best, served over mashed potatoes, you think?:)
I might give the stew a try sometime, for some reason its making my head spin thinking about it..:wacko:

Thanks everyone!

Nothing is easier than stew. Brown as you describe. Add some sort of liquid be it water, a combination of water and beef broth, or a couple bottles of stout beer, and braise until tender. Mashed potatoes would be great as would wide egg noodles or even spaetzle or gnocchi. JUST DO IT! :chef: Just be sure to cook long enough for the meat to become very tender.

When I make stew beef and noodles I use the crock pot.
Put stew beef in with enough beef broth and water to cover meat
Add onion powder garlic powder salt and pepper
cook for about 4 or 5 hours
when meat is done, I take most of the broth out and make gravy.
you can add veggies if you want.
Cook egg noodles
serve beef gravy over egg noodles.

I've cooked this several times, it's easy and makes a really good gravy. You can put it over noodles or mashed potatoes or rice.

2 lbs. stew meat
salt and pepper
seasoned salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can water

Sprinkle salt, pepper, and seasoned salt on meat. Pour in soup and water. Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Turn oven down to 300 and continue cooking for 2 additional hours.

lol, all I can say is, My screen name certainly tells the truth!....:rolleyes:

I have never cooked in my entire life until I got married about a year ago. I have come a LONG way, but i'm still very very new to it all..

I was looking through a forum talking about all the differen ways you can make stew, and I think I just got a bit overwhelmed.... making it seem harder than it is. Sometimes i shoot too high, and want to make this big fancy meal, when I should be starting with the basic ways first....

I think I will try to make this Beef and Noodles in a day or so. Are there any other spices I should use with this?

Thanks again everyone! :chef:

OK - I am providing a link to Classic Beef & Noodles, a recipe that is, while not the VERY basic, it will show you exactly what YOU can create if you just follow the recipe. I know this says it's for a slow cooker but you can make it in a Dutch Oven on the stove - or even transfer to oven. Stove top just be sure to cut the burner down to low so things don't burn. It might take an hour or two but just test the stew beef for tenderness. At one point you may feel the beef is actually done but if you let it cook longer the meat will start to break down and become even more tender and pullable. First, start with these basics for everything you cook:

Print out your recipe and read the WHOLE THING from start to finish. This will give you a "heads up" on instructions and how to add ingredients and when.

Check your cabinets for all ingredients

On the day of cooking do what is called mise en place
. It's just a French term that basically means "everything in its place" and it forces you to go over your recipe to make sure you have every ingredient. Measure out everything and place in individual bowls in the order they are needed. If there are several things that can be added at one time they can all be measured and dumped in the same bowl.

This also helps with the timely addition of ingredients while cooking. When you get to the part of a recipe that says "add 1 cup chopped onion" you aren't scrambling to chop an onion while something cooks for too long and possibly burns.

I hope that helped a little and seriously, if you start there then you will be cooking anything and everything in no time. Just follow the recipe and things should be fine!

That sounds like a great recipe Kitchenelf!! I have a couple questions though..

*What is "Sherry"? Where would it be at the grocery store? And where are the Bay Leafs at?

lol, Sorry.. I told you I am new to cooking..:)

That sounds like a great recipe Kitchenelf!! I have a couple questions though..

*What is "Sherry"? Where would it be at the grocery store? And where are the Bay Leafs at?

lol, Sorry.. I told you I am new to cooking..:)

First, never end a sentence in a preposition :LOL::-p

Sherry - it depends on where you live. Some states you can only buy it at the liquor store - in my state you can buy it at the grocery store. Under NO circumstances - do not EVER buy 'COOKING" sherry - or anything labeled "cooking" wine. ALWAYS cook with real wine and real fortified wine, which sherry is. So, on that note, if you can buy wine at your grocery store then the sherry will be there also. It's usually near the Port and Marsala. It's not expensive. Just buy a DRY sherry - that's the most important thing. A bottle of sherry only costs around $6 or so and can be stored for years just in your kitchen cabinet - no refrigeration necessary. It's also good for making Asian-type marinades for ribs and chicken - that can be next! :chef: Oh, and we'll have you make a cream of mushroom soup and it's good to drizzle in the bowl at serving time!

Now, for bay leaves - they can now be bought a lot of times on the ethnic isle of your grocery store. A lot of grocery stores have bulk items in the Mexican section. If you can't find them there then you should be able to find them in the spice isle. They will be much cheaper in the ethnic isle though. If you know of a Latino market in your area that would be a good place to get them also.

Back
Top Bottom