Birria De Chivo!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdaddy3k

Mr. Greenjeans
Moderator Emeritus
Had this for dinner tonight. We had to go over and shovel snow for the old folks and we didn'[t have time to cook. So we took the kids out to a tiny Mexican place that my wife and I often go to when the kids are off doing something else. It was AMAZING. The wife found this recipe. It looks to be very close to what I had. I cannot wait to try it. If I can't find goat I will use lamb.

Masa Assassin: Birria De Chivo Recipe - Goat Stew

Way too authentic for me!!I am glad you like it though.

No knocking until you try! I gave a bite to my wife and my two girls (10 and 13) they all liked it. If I can get tween and teenage girls to try and like it then you just gotta give it a try.

I think WannaBe is playing with you...Heck, he was just recently looking for recipes to make Menudo at home!

Your Birria looks great... I have a new stop for work out in the country..on the way there is a small sign..just says "Goat Meat for Sale" with an arrow pointing down a dirt road...I think I'll stop in...

What part of the animal do I ask for? Leg, ribs? other than La Cabeza I mean..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Eric, The meat is slow cooked so I imagine it has to be a tough meat to begin with. Personally I was going to go with anything I found as goat meat is not common in my area. I know that they sell breast of lamb. I figure they probably sell the same kind of cuts on goat. Breast/ribs seems like it would be a tougher cut of meat suitable for slow cooking. Also, the recipe states to skim the fat. Breast/rib meat would have some fat but would not be overly fatty.

Optional ingrediant "yuck"

All recipies derived from boiling any type of head is out of bounds for me.I know that all processed foods contain things that would just make you mentally sick if you knew what was really in them.I can have a hot dog once in a while and pretend that it never happend.I cant however add anything to my pot that I cant even bare to look at in a meat case.Heads,tripe,octopus,squid,any organ meat,feet with hooves still attached,cat fish of any type,and the worst of all of these is a head.This sounds like spams secret recipe.I know the head was an opptional ingrediant and otherwise it sounded like a nice stew asside from the goat meat.Goats are in my oppinion the most vile of mammels.You can dump a bucket of radio active waste in front of them and they will eat it all and want more.My mother had a goat and it would eat anything and it grossed me out.Thanks for the recipe though big daddy. I guess Im too far gone to see the other side of some things.

Wow, thanks for dissing my tastes. It's good to know that I have the eating habits of a pig in slop.

Whereas I am not disgusted by most people's unimaginative eating habits I do however get disgusted when those same unimaginative people show disrespect towards others who are willing to go off the beaten path for a culinary adventure.

Most of the ingredients you listed are what, at one time or another, were referred to as "poor food". These were the things that were thrown to the servants as they were not worth the good cuts. Most poor cultures then took these throw aways that the well to do deemed disgusting and turned it into really tasty food. Lets take for example the pig. The plantation owners took the hams, loins, shoulders and chops and left the feet, innards, ribs, neck, head and skin for the slaves. Do you like bar b que, head cheese, sausage, lentil soup with hocks? Thank a slave and a stupid "master" for them.

I guess I will take my disgusting eating habits and sit over here with the interesting people. You can have all that macaroni and cheese and boneless skinless chicken breast, I've got something better over at my table. Just look for the "Adventurers Welcome" sign.

Its very savory with a sweet undertone to it. I think it is the sauce that truely makes the dish. Lots of care when into it's invention. It is the second time I have found a recipe that required roasting dried peppers and then rehydrating them. What a concept!

It sounds like it would knock your socks off with all those peppers in it. I like the idea of roasting the peppers for sweetness etc.
Gotta say, it sounds OK by me. I don't know that I'd use the "optional" ingredient as I THINK that might be tough to come by around here! ;)

Can't be any worse than head cheese being made. :rolleyes:

This sounds pretty good. The only place I've ever seen goat meat is in Aruba. I keep threatening SO that I'm gonna make a stew for dinner when we're on vacation.

You have to be careful with cascabels. The skin is super tough and simply cannot be left in a dish. I read somewhere that you should put them in a pot using cheesecloth and toss them after stewing.

Cool more for you!!

I have heard that the prisons back east used to feed the inmates lobster at allmost every meal.And they hated it!I know how all of that one mans trash is another mans treasure thing works.As for the" stupid slave master" senario you listed the only good thing on there was pork ribs.I know for a fact that the slaves were the care takers of these animals. I am sure more than once the subject turned to the fact that they had these awesome ribs and their stupid master was in the big house eating goat head soup.Each to his own.I really dont care what anybody eats.When I give a nice polite responce to a post that means I have more to say.If you dont want to hear it do'nt egg me on.Those were only my personal thoughts and If you take them personaly I dont know what to say.It was nothing personal.

When I give a nice polite responce to a post

I'll keep my eye out for that. Haven't seen it here yet.

As for "egging you on", Dude, we read in others text what we ourselves feel. My post was an invitation to something delicious. Not an egging on.

Out of bounds again.

I have a tendancy to wander off topic.As I said the recipe sounds like a really good stew and should have left it at that.Thanks for thinking that we might enjoy it and takeing the time to post it.I never stopped to think about how my personal feelings might make it look like I had foarmed an oppinion of someone else.Thats not the case at all.Bigdaddy's good. I am the one that needs to learn to bite my tounge.Sorry Bigdaddy.I will however never, ever try this recipe.Its a personal thing I guess.:pig:

It sounds like it would knock your socks off with all those peppers in it. I like the idea of roasting the peppers for sweetness etc.
Gotta say, it sounds OK by me. I don't know that I'd use the "optional" ingredient as I THINK that might be tough to come by around here! ;)

Can't be any worse than head cheese being made. :rolleyes:

Even with all the peppers in it, it wasn't hot. It had zest but not an overboard spicy experience. My youngest doesn't like thing that are too hot. Even she said it was delicious. I can probably get the optional ingredient but I do not know if it is truely necessary to the dish. I feel that what truely makes the dish is the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom