"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Master Chef

I do it both ways, depending on the kind of mood I'm in. I think I like it better when I just brown the naked meat and add the flour later in a slurry with a little water. The gravy turns out smoother.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I always used to flour the meat first, but I found that the flour can burn if you are browning in a nice hot pan, and to tell the truth I'm a bit against the willy-nilly addition of flour these days. If a stew doesn't look like it's going to thicken enough I'll generally either add some breadcrumbs (they dissolve in no time and thicken up nicely with no risk of raw flour flavour) or I'll take some of the veg and give it a quick whizz in a blender.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I always dredge and flour lightly first (shaking off any extra, this is what burns in the pan), browning over med.high heat, but still may have to thicken the stew later. Just my preferance.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Barb, that is the way I do it also. I've never had a problem with thickening as long as I use the right amount of liquid.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I always flour the meat and add whatever spices I'm using at the same time. I don't always brown it and it always comes out just as good. I absolutely love stew with dumplings, so if I've made it in the slo cooker I tip it into a saucepan for the last 20 mins and add the dumplings. ( No-wonder I look like a dumpling!)
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Over the years I have used both methods. Finally coming to the conclusion that I prefer to NOT flour prior to browning. My goal in browning stew meat is to brown the meat itself extracting as much blood and goo out of the meat as possible. I do this over a high BTU outdoor burner. If this "stuff" is not removed at this point it will show up in the pot as scum. Which can be skimmed off if you see it. I also run the meat through a collander to wash off excess fats/oils etc. So I go to the pot with browned meat with as little fat and fat soaked flour as possible. Admittedly, Some fat and browned flour are added back later in the process in the form of roux to make the gravy. Using this method I have total control over the contents, color, and flavor of the thickening agent.

Don't laugh at me!! I'll come get ya!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
Master Chef

Smile

My mom taught me how brown stew meat in flour seasoned with garlic powder and black pepper, thus adding flavor to the meat and the dish. It is my understanding also that when you brown or braise meat it helps seal in the juices and the flavor. I have also not browned the stew meat and my stew did not turn out as good as with browning. I have never had dredging in flour to cause the meat to become slimy. So, my vote is for dredging in flour and seasonings and browning the meat.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I also dredge in flour and brown in oil to increase the flavor. I have never experienced sliminess in my stews.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

There's definitely two camps on this one. Just to throw in my .02, I brown the meat (sirloin) on all 6 sides without flour. Then I deglaze the pan with red wine. If I can't wait long enough for it to reduce, I put just enough flour in to give it some body.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I've read elswhere on this site that paprika should not be subjected to the high heat used to brown meats. I think flouring the meat before browning facilitates the browning process and absorbs some of the meat juices that would otherwise be stuck on the bottom of the cooking vessel and subjected to undue heat until the pot is deglazed.

Perhaps the paprika is better introduced about 1/2 way through the cooking process.

Tags
None