Brown Color in Stews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't even have to use flour. Just brown the meat in butter! Almost burn the butter; it gives you a rich brownish red color. I've also add left over black coffee.

If you have ever tasted Kitchen Bouquet, Gravy Master....etc it is pure evil in a bottle! Never use it. I never allowed it in my kitchen......we're chefs. The stock, browning the beef and roux should be all you need for a nice rich color.....brown some tomato also. You can add some rye flour for additional flavor...it doesn't do much for the color although it won't hurt at all.

You don't even have to use flour. Just brown the meat in butter! Almost burn the butter; it gives you a rich brownish red color. I've also add left over black coffee.

Coffee is a good tenderizer too or so I hear. I will have to remember to use this the next time I make stew!

I wish I had taken pics of my first stew it was a complete wreck.

A bit of tomato paste would improve color as well as add a bit of acidity to the stew.

Also, braising or simmering in a good dutch oven like Le Creuset gives stews a wonderful color.

Back
Top Bottom