"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Brunswick Stew

2 chickens, whole, smoked and pulled
4 quarts chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes, crushed
1 can tomato sauce
2 tbls worcestershire sauce
1 tbls hot pepper sauce (or more)
3 tsp sea salt
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
2 pkg frozen corn
1 pkg frozen okra
1 pkg frozen lima beans
2 cups potatoes, cubed small

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. I let this cook for at least 6 hours on low heat. As you can tell it makes a lot. Freezes well.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertjo44 View Post
4 quarts chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes, crushed
1 can tomato sauce
3 tsp sea salt
2 pkg frozen corn
1 pkg frozen okra
1 pkg frozen lima beans

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. I let this cook for at least 6 hours on low heat. As you can tell it makes a lot. Freezes well.
Thanks for the recipe, but please enlighten me about 2 chickens, whole, smoked and pulled.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Apply olive oil and seasoning to chickens, cook it in a smoker, 225 degrees for 3 - 4 hours until it reaches an internal temp of 170 (you can use an oven if you have no smoker). Once done, remove and cover with foil and a towel and allow to rest at least 30 mins. Remove foil, allow to cool or use gloves and pull meat from bone (sort of hand shredded like pulled pork).
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Wow, cook for at least 6 hours? It would seem everything but the meat would be mush by then.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertjo44 View Post
4 quarts chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes, crushed
1 can tomato sauce
3 tsp sea salt
2 pkg frozen corn
1 pkg frozen okra
1 pkg frozen lima beans

I've used a recipe similar to yours for squirrel. 4 gray squirrels with about half the quantity of the ingredients you list. I think it works better if you cook the stew with the meat whole on the bone and pick the meat off a half to one hour before the stew is finished.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wow, cook for at least 6 hours? It would seem everything but the meat would be mush by then.
Yes the veggies are quite soft but akin to crock pot recipes you get a great marrying of flavors by cooking for so long. I think this is similar to a Kentucky Burgoo. Its a very traditional southern recipe, it was very popular in NC where I grew up. This is just my take.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

This is s/thing I've never tried...don't know why, I like everything that is in it. Now that I have a smoker, maybe I can do this with turkey (seeing as how I'm a bit off eating chicken now that I have such personable laying hens). And, a friend does wildlife rehab, don't she'd appreciate it if I started eating the squirrels she releases at the farm! Thanks for sharing.

Tags
chicken, recipe

Brunswick Stew 2 chickens, whole, smoked and pulled 4 quarts chicken broth 2 cans tomatoes, crushed 1 can tomato sauce 2 tbls worcestershire sauce 1 tbls hot pepper sauce (or more) 3 tsp sea salt 2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper 2 pkg frozen corn 1 pkg frozen okra 1 pkg frozen lima beans 2 cups potatoes, cubed small Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. I let this cook for at least 6 hours on low heat. As you can tell it makes a lot. Freezes well. 3 stars 1 reviews