Frogmore Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Looks like this one is a little late in the season, as corn seems to be done here.

Frogmore Stew
Makes: 8 servings

6 qt water
¾ c Old Bay Seasoning
2 # new red potatoes
2 # hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2” pieces
12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered
4 # large fresh shrimp, unpeeled

Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

That's a great recipe, Allen...we cooked that last summer. I added some little boiler onions too, and served it with good bread to mop up the broth.
One can get good corn at the grocery just about any time of the year any more, so don't let the season stop you from making it.

When I saw the ingredients it reminds me of many of the ingredients in a New England lobster boil. Sounds great.

It actually reminds me of a N'awlins Crawfish Boil.

I know that corn is pretty much available on the cob year round, but I prefer to do a lot of seasonal cooking, especially when fresh local produce is available.

AllenMI
I'm curious.... why is the dish called 'Frogmore'?

It made me smile as it is the name of one of the royal houses in Windsor Gt Park near Windsor Castle. It's where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are buried. Thought you might like to see the place.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page558.asp

Honestly, I have no idea why it's called that. I think this is a "Low Country" recipe, for the coastal region of South Carolina.

Ishbel said:
AllenMI
I'm curious.... why is the dish called 'Frogmore'?

It made me smile as it is the name of one of the royal houses in Windsor Gt Park near Windsor Castle. It's where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are buried. Thought you might like to see the place.
When I first saw the title it made me think of the sort of names places have in the Harry Potter books (lol, or so I gather, I've never read any them :LOL:).

¾ c Old Bay Seasoning
What is "Old Bay Seasoning"?

Old Bay Seasoning is a seasoning mix commonly used with seafood. It's sold in a blue and yellow can or tin here in the US. I just got my can out, and the ingredients are:

Celery Salt
Spices (includes Mustard, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Bay leaves, Cloves, Allspice, Ginger, Mace, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Paprika

I just googled a copycat recipe, here it is:

Old Bay Seasoning
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Whole Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 tsp. Mace

Preparation Instructions:
In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.

AllenMI said:
Old Bay Seasoning is a seasoning mix commonly used with seafood. It's sold in a blue and yellow can or tin here in the US. I just got my can out, and the ingredients are:

Celery Salt
Spices (includes Mustard, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Bay leaves, Cloves, Allspice, Ginger, Mace, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Paprika

I just googled a copycat recipe, here it is:

Old Bay Seasoning
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Whole Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 tsp. Mace

Preparation Instructions:
In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.
Thanks so much Allen, I totally appreciate that you took the time to look that up for me! I don't think I've ever bought a prepared spice mix with all these ingredients in them, but thanks to you I now know how to recreate it (though I'd leave the cloves out, they are not my cup of tea :LOL:).

Here's a site that explains the history of Frogmore stew:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_n10_v28/ai_20187696

"Low Country Cooking

The Sea Islands that hug the coastline are home to families who have lived there as long as they can remember. Their recipes for beloved Gullah dishes -- red rice, hoppin' John, okra soup, shrimp and grits, smoked mullet, collard greens, tater (sweet potato) pone and boiled peanuts in the shells -- have been passed from generation to generation. Many of these foods, looked upon as the pride of the South, actually reach back to die Motherland. And in typical African style, Low Country cooks favor one-pot meals. Sea Island kettles bubble with savory stews and lusty gumbos made from the catch of the day, garden vegetables, hot peppers and herbs. Servings of rice and warm-from-the-oven corn bread turn these hearty, comforting dishes into simple feasts. According to Gullah storyteller and founder of the Gullah-Geechee Coalition, Marquetta Goodwine, "The songs, laughter, love and sea go into the Frogmore Stew." But don't worry: The stew does not contain frogs; the name comes from the Frogmore plantation on St. Helena Island in South Carolina, where it is said the dish originated. In some parts, the dish is called St. Helena stew or Low Country boil. This regional favorite is often enjoyed served simply on paper plates at a newspaper-covered table beneath moss-hung trees. A customary table grace is said in the Gullah language, which combines English and tribal African words: "Gee we de food wa we da need dis day an ebryday."

The ocean, rivers, ponds, lakes, marshes, swamps, bays and creeks that have isolated and protected much of the Gullah culture continue to provide a wellspring of fresh fish and shellfish. Shrimp are the heart of numerous dishes; the), are especially popular served with grits. Other local offerings include shrimp), oysters, blue crab, cod, sea bass, porgy, catfish and flounder. Visit the waterways, arid you'll find fishermen mending their nets and throwing out their crab cages much as their ancestors did four centuries, ago."

Allen this is very similar to my recipe for Frogmore Stew. We have always just used the half ears of frozen corn.

We add small whole potatoes to this sometimes too. Add them before the kielbasa.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frogmore Stew [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2lb. shrimp per person
1/4lb. kielbasa per person, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 ears corn per person
1 bag Zatarain's crab boil
1/4C salt per gallon of water
In a huge pot, bring water to boil. Use roughly twice the volume of water as the volume of ingredients. Add salt & crab boil bag ; boil for 7 minutes. Add kielbasa & boil for 7 minutes. Add corn & boil for 7 minutes. Add shrimp & boil for 4 to 7 minutes. Do not over cook shrimp. Drain (toss the cooking liquid, you don't use it for anything else) & serve in a large bowl. The best way to serve this is on a table covered with newspaper. When everyone is done, just roll up the paper & shrimp shells & toss! Easy cleanup!

[/font]

Back
Top Bottom