"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 10-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Frogmore Stew

Looks like this one is a little late in the season, as corn seems to be done here.

Frogmore Stew
Makes: 8 servings

6 qt water
c Old Bay Seasoning
2 # new red potatoes
2 # hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2” pieces
12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered
4 # large fresh shrimp, unpeeled

Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

That's a great recipe, Allen...we cooked that last summer. I added some little boiler onions too, and served it with good bread to mop up the broth.
One can get good corn at the grocery just about any time of the year any more, so don't let the season stop you from making it.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Head Chef

When I saw the ingredients it reminds me of many of the ingredients in a New England lobster boil. Sounds great.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

It actually reminds me of a N'awlins Crawfish Boil.

I know that corn is pretty much available on the cob year round, but I prefer to do a lot of seasonal cooking, especially when fresh local produce is available.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

AllenMI
I'm curious.... why is the dish called 'Frogmore'?

It made me smile as it is the name of one of the royal houses in Windsor Gt Park near Windsor Castle. It's where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are buried. Thought you might like to see the place.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page558.asp
Old 10-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Honestly, I have no idea why it's called that. I think this is a "Low Country" recipe, for the coastal region of South Carolina.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
AllenMI
I'm curious.... why is the dish called 'Frogmore'?

It made me smile as it is the name of one of the royal houses in Windsor Gt Park near Windsor Castle. It's where Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are buried. Thought you might like to see the place.
When I first saw the title it made me think of the sort of names places have in the Harry Potter books (lol, or so I gather, I've never read any them ).

Quote:
c Old Bay Seasoning
What is "Old Bay Seasoning"?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Old Bay Seasoning is a seasoning mix commonly used with seafood. It's sold in a blue and yellow can or tin here in the US. I just got my can out, and the ingredients are:

Celery Salt
Spices (includes Mustard, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Bay leaves, Cloves, Allspice, Ginger, Mace, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Paprika

I just googled a copycat recipe, here it is:

Old Bay Seasoning
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Whole Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 tsp. Mace

Preparation Instructions:
In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Old Bay Seasoning is a seasoning mix commonly used with seafood. It's sold in a blue and yellow can or tin here in the US. I just got my can out, and the ingredients are:

Celery Salt
Spices (includes Mustard, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Bay leaves, Cloves, Allspice, Ginger, Mace, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
Paprika

I just googled a copycat recipe, here it is:

Old Bay Seasoning
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
6 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Whole Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
4 Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1/4 tsp. Mace

Preparation Instructions:
In a spice grinder or small food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Grind well and store in a small glass jar.
Thanks so much Allen, I totally appreciate that you took the time to look that up for me! I don't think I've ever bought a prepared spice mix with all these ingredients in them, but thanks to you I now know how to recreate it (though I'd leave the cloves out, they are not my cup of tea ).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Here's a site that explains the history of Frogmore stew:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...28/ai_20187696

"Low Country Cooking

The Sea Islands that hug the coastline are home to families who have lived there as long as they can remember. Their recipes for beloved Gullah dishes -- red rice, hoppin' John, okra soup, shrimp and grits, smoked mullet, collard greens, tater (sweet potato) pone and boiled peanuts in the shells -- have been passed from generation to generation. Many of these foods, looked upon as the pride of the South, actually reach back to die Motherland. And in typical African style, Low Country cooks favor one-pot meals. Sea Island kettles bubble with savory stews and lusty gumbos made from the catch of the day, garden vegetables, hot peppers and herbs. Servings of rice and warm-from-the-oven corn bread turn these hearty, comforting dishes into simple feasts. According to Gullah storyteller and founder of the Gullah-Geechee Coalition, Marquetta Goodwine, "The songs, laughter, love and sea go into the Frogmore Stew." But don't worry: The stew does not contain frogs; the name comes from the Frogmore plantation on St. Helena Island in South Carolina, where it is said the dish originated. In some parts, the dish is called St. Helena stew or Low Country boil. This regional favorite is often enjoyed served simply on paper plates at a newspaper-covered table beneath moss-hung trees. A customary table grace is said in the Gullah language, which combines English and tribal African words: "Gee we de food wa we da need dis day an ebryday."

The ocean, rivers, ponds, lakes, marshes, swamps, bays and creeks that have isolated and protected much of the Gullah culture continue to provide a wellspring of fresh fish and shellfish. Shrimp are the heart of numerous dishes; the), are especially popular served with grits. Other local offerings include shrimp), oysters, blue crab, cod, sea bass, porgy, catfish and flounder. Visit the waterways, arid you'll find fishermen mending their nets and throwing out their crab cages much as their ancestors did four centuries, ago."

Tags
None