Hearty Beef Barley Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
This hearty stew is perfect for those cool nights.
Enjoy! Debbie

HEARTY BEEF BARLEY STEW

img_748389_0_205505f0ee140d07fb29adebe09296d0.jpg

2 pound(s) BEEF TOP SIRLOIN; Cut Into Small Cubes.
1/2 cup(s) FLOUR
1 teaspoon(s) SALT
1/2 teaspoon(s) BLACK PEPPER
2 tablespoon(s) OIL
8 cup(s) WATER
8 teaspoon(s) BEEF BASE
1 cup(s) CARROTS; Diced.
1 small ONION; Chopped.
1/8 teaspoon(s) THYME; Ground.
1 cup(s) BARLEY; Pearled.
1/2 teaspoon(s) MARJORAM; Dried.
1 teaspoon(s) KITCHEN BOUQUET
PARSLEY FLAKES; To Taste.
_____

Add flour, salt and pepper to a plastic bag.
Shake bag to mix well.
Add cubed beef to bag and shake to coat.
In a Dutch oven or large pot, brown beef in oil over medium heat.
Add water, onions, thyme, marjoram, kitchen Bouquet and beef base.
Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes; then add barley, carrots and parsley to taste.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until the barley is tender.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

*If you want to thin out soup just add more beef broth.
_____

Barley.... I'm on it!
I never thought of putting barley in stew. Thanks!

It looks great. I was just looking at it printed out. All the ingredients of stew, plus barley, but everything is cut up soup size. Very nice, Debbie.

It looks great. I was just looking at it printed out. All the ingredients of stew, plus barley, but everything is cut up soup size. Very nice, Debbie.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Sometimes I like smaller size bites in my stew, and keeping them smaller cuts the cooking time down alot. Enjoy! Debbie

This sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

My guess is that it would be okay to use beef broth instead of the water/beef base combo?

Oh my goodness, that looks wonderful! I have been craving soup, and beef and barley is one of my favorites! How do you think it would taste with sliced fresh frozen mushrooms sauteed with garlic in oilive oil? I have some lovely ones in the freezer.

I have copied and saved your recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Alright....... I've got everything I need to make this, and just realized it says "Beef Base" not "Beef Broth".... I've got both Beef Broth and Beef Bullion Cubes. Will either of these work? Or should I go buy some Beef Base?

Mmmm Mmmm I know whats goin on next weeks menu. I have everything here in the house.

Alright....... I've got everything I need to make this, and just realized it says "Beef Base" not "Beef Broth".... I've got both Beef Broth and Beef Bullion Cubes. Will either of these work? Or should I go buy some Beef Base?

You can use either one. You are looking for 8 cups of beef broth. I just like to use beef base when a recipe needs beef broth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom