"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 07-14-2003, 05:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help! Will you send a recipe for American bean stew?

Hi everybody!

Can anyone send me a recipe for American bean stew? We are having a real debate over here as to what goes into it, and, anyway, now I quite like the idea of making one!

Thanks

ciao a tutti

dianne

Old 07-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Not sure there is an "American Bean Stew". Actually, this is the first time I've even heard the term. ("Bean stew", I mean).

Since "stew" generally refers to a meat/mixed vegetable dish simmered for long periods to blend flavors, then that old favorite, "Ham hocks & Beans" would, I guess, qualify.

Just white beans, ham hocks, onions, and tomaato simmered with bay and other herbs and spices - there are as many variations as there are cooks. And the result is always flavorful and satisfying..

So I suspect you all are correct as to the ingredients in a "bean stew", Dianne.

Old 07-15-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hello Dianne and oldcoot!!

I'm a little stumped on this one too - oldcoot gave you the perfect recipe - is this what you were looking for or can you be more specific in your description? I even put chunks of potatoes in my pot of pintos.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

:?
I'm with 'coot and Elf......new one on me!
Could you mean the tradional American Baked Beans?
Tons of "Bean Soup" recipes...but "stew"?????
Old 07-16-2003, 12:45 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Hey, gang - don't be too hard on Dianne: a quick Google search for "Bean Stew" came up with recipes. None looke particularly "typical American" to me.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Coot, did any of them sound really good? If so, share!
8)
Old 07-16-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Norma. these old eyes won't let me read stuff easily, so I didn't carefully evaluate any of those recipes for bean stew.

Don't you use Google? All you need do is type in http://www.google.com (or click on that)and then type "bean stew recipes" and you'll get 'em all in seconds.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 PM   #8
Senior Cook

:) Thanks Coot!

LOTS of "bean stew" recipes....but this is the only one that sounded "American"

Seared cod with bean stew
What can be more Bostonian that cod and beans? Surprisingly, they actually taste great together. You don't need any sides for this dish, but definitely lots of good crusty bread to mop up all the yummy sauce.

Wines: A smoky red
Note: You can get fish stock frozen in many fish markets. Defrost it in the microwave before using. Alternatively, you can use clam juice, or even chicken stock that are sold in most supermarkets.
Serves 4

Ingredients Directions
2 Lb cod fillet at least 1" thick
3 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut the cod into 4 serving pieces. Rinse and dry very well on paper towels. Heat the butter in a well seasoned or non stick large frying pan on high heat. When the butter is hot and bubbly, add cod and sear 2 minutes on each side or until nicely brown, shaking the pan occasionally so that cod does not stick. Remove to an oven proof dish, season both sides with salt and pepper, and bake in the middle of the oven for 7 minutes or until almost flaky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 sprig fresh rosemary
While the code is baking make the beans and sauce. Set the same large frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and rosemary and sauté until garlic is golden and rosemary releases its aroma, 1-2 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 cherry tomatoes cut in half
Turn the heat up to med-high. Add cherry tomatoes and sauté until soft stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes.

20 oz canned navy beans drained
1 1/2 cup fish stock
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
chopped dill and parsley (optional)
Pour in the fish stock and beans, boil until the sauce thickens slightly, 2-3 minutes. Take off heat. Remove rosemary sprig. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Divide sauce and beans among 4 plates, top with cod and sprinkle with dill and parsley.

Copyright © 2002, Yelena Malyutin Rennie. All rights reserved.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:30 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Hi Gang! My mom used to cook the great big white lima beans - we called them butter beans - with a ham bone and some chopped onion; added pepper and a very little salt when done, and THEN put in some heavy cream, the good old right-from-the-cow kind, about a cup or so to a 4-quart pot of beans. She always served either fresh hot yeast rolls or hot cornbread with them, along with homemade butter and some honey and/or homemade jam.

There's also a 15-bean mix on the store shelves here, which is cooked with a ham bone, onion, and whatever other herbs/seasonings are preferred.

I like to cook beans all night long with no seasoning at all. I bring them to a boil, then turn the heat almost as low as it will go and let it simmer overnight. I usually make my 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven full, which takes about a pound of beans and to the top with water. The pot needs to be stirred and the simmering continued early in the morning. I LOVE the flavor of Great Northerns cooked this way. The long cooking brings out flavors I never knew were there until the time I cooked them s-l-o-w-l-y all night because I didn't want to stay up and babysit them.

Which is how I learned about all the different flavors and textures that different beans have. I guess there are times when laziness has its merits after all!!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:18 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Leigh, my grandmother cooked "butter beans" the same way....delicious!
And you're right about slow cooking without seasoning overnight for just about any kind of beans...that's the way I like to cook them too. Sometimes I do add a bit of ham/ham hock, depending on the type of bean...
:)

Tags
None