Herbed Meatball Stew with Cabbage & Beans
I made this somewhat unusual stew, an old family favorite, for dinner tonight. It's a relatively inexpensive, hearty one-dish meal that's great on a cold rainy night.
HERBED MEATBALL STEW
1½ pounds ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup catsup
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups sliced carrots
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon thyme, crumbled
½ teaspoon marjoram, crumbled
½ cup red wine
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1. Combine ground beef, beaten eggs, fresh bread crumbs, catsup, garlic powder, salt & pepper.
2. Form meat mixture into about 24 golf-ball-sized meatballs and place on foil-covered rimmed baking pan.
3. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until well browned.
4. While meatballs are browning, saute onion in olive oil a large (5- to 8-quart) covered pot until translucent.
5. Add garlic and saute for additional minute.
6. Add tomatoes, sugar, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, & wine; bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
7. Add browned meatballs, cabbage, beans, and caraway seeds; mix gently; add ½ cup water if needed.
8. Return stew to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until carrots are tender.
Makes 4 generous servings.