"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Irish Coddle, for when you have no idea when Significant Other is home for dinner

OK, so situation is I am off for the day, but my Beloved Wife has a busy day of lawerin' and no idea when she is going to be home. As such I am going to be relying on a traditional Irish dish called Coddle. Basically an Irish farmhouse dish made up by the wife, that could feed the family and keep well on the stove until the husband returned from the pub in the evenings. I do this in the oven in my enameled 5 qt cast iron casserole, but it is also well suited to a slow cooker, or even a stockpot on the range.

To wit:

Coddle, serves 4-6

1 lb bacon, cut into strips
8 good quality sausage
4 onions sliced
1 leeks, sliced, w/ green tips included
6 starchy potatoes, peeled, diced
3 cups of stock (ham or chx preferred, depends on sausage)
black pepper and salt to taste
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, diced fine

Preheat broiler, and broil bacon to just starting to crisp, drain on paper towels and reserve fat.

Over medium heat cook sausages, sliced until evenly browned, add bacon fat is necessary and set aside.

Using same skillet cook onions about 7 minutes until soft but not colored, again add bacon fat as needed.

Layer onions, sausages and bacon (cut into 1/2 inch cubes) together into casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper to taste. Pour stock over.

Add leeks, sliced, herbs, garlic, and finish w/ a layer of potatoes.

Cover and bring to a boil on stove. Transfer to preheated oven 45 minutes at 300 degrees minimum, though better to cook at 200-250 for longer, longer you cook this the better the flavors go together.

I serve with Soda Bread.

This freezes like a champ, you can add or subtract ingredients depending what you've got, and the longer you simmer it the more flavorful it gets.

Cheers,

TBS

Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds very nice. I bet a layer of cabbage would be good.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like the sound of this too. Thanks for the recipe! And cabbage does sound like a good accompanyment.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I don't think any Irish recipes I have are harmed by addition of a layer of cabbage!

Tags
bacon, dinner, garlic, leeks, onion, other, potatoes, recipe, sausage

Irish Coddle, for when you have no idea when Significant Other is home for dinner OK, so situation is I am off for the day, but my Beloved Wife has a busy day of lawerin' and no idea when she is going to be home. As such I am going to be relying on a traditional Irish dish called Coddle. Basically an Irish farmhouse dish made up by the wife, that could feed the family and keep well on the stove until the husband returned from the pub in the evenings. I do this in the oven in my enameled 5 qt cast iron casserole, but it is also well suited to a slow cooker, or even a stockpot on the range. To wit: Coddle, serves 4-6 1 lb bacon, cut into strips 8 good quality sausage 4 onions sliced 1 leeks, sliced, w/ green tips included 6 starchy potatoes, peeled, diced 3 cups of stock (ham or chx preferred, depends on sausage) black pepper and salt to taste 2 bay leaves 2 sprigs fresh thyme 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 2 garlic cloves, diced fine Preheat broiler, and broil bacon to just starting to crisp, drain on paper towels and reserve fat. Over medium heat cook sausages, sliced until evenly browned, add bacon fat is necessary and set aside. Using same skillet cook onions about 7 minutes until soft but not colored, again add bacon fat as needed. Layer onions, sausages and bacon (cut into 1/2 inch cubes) together into casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper to taste. Pour stock over. Add leeks, sliced, herbs, garlic, and finish w/ a layer of potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil on stove. Transfer to preheated oven 45 minutes at 300 degrees minimum, though better to cook at 200-250 for longer, longer you cook this the better the flavors go together. I serve with Soda Bread. This freezes like a champ, you can add or subtract ingredients depending what you've got, and the longer you simmer it the more flavorful it gets. Cheers, TBS 3 stars 1 reviews