"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO a good beef stew recipe

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me i need a recipe for a delicious beef stew,my family will held a family re-union so i would love to cook for them a perfect meal so that everyone can remember me of it.if someone got something special please don't hesitate contact me as soon as possible.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Proud American

For how many people is this for?

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Proud American

I use the following things of it:

Cut up roast or pre-cut stew beef
Beef broth or stock
Carrots
Potatoes
Chopped onion
Montreal Steak seasoning
Garlic powder
Chives
Italian seasonings

Just put the broth or the stock into a big stew pot and fill it to about 2/3 full. Bring this to a boil.
Meanwhile, you can either sear the meat or drop it into the broth or stock without searing. Add the spices and simmer until beef is almost done (pinkish grey).
Cut potatoes into quarters. We use large baking potatoes. Leave on the skins.
Cut carrots to around 1".
Put in carrots and potatoes and onion and any extra spices and simmer until potatoes are still firm. Do not let these overcook; they will fall apart to mush.

I hope this helps you. I am not sure of measurements because I do not know how many will be to your family reunion.

I wish you very good luck!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

This will make sufficient stew for 2 people. Simply multiply the ingredients for as many people as you need.
1/2 lb. beef chuck or round roast
2 medium carrots
1 stalk celery
1 medium, yellow onion
2 medium russet potatoes
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder, or 1 tsp. fresh, minced garlic
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. paprika
2 tbs. cooking oil

Heat a heavy frying pan over medium high heat. While it is heating, cut the meat into 1/2 inch cubes. Add the cooking oil to the heated pan, followed by the beef. Lightly salt the meat. Stir every five minutes or so until seared on all sides.

While the meat is cooking, wash, peel and cut the carrots into bite-sized chunks. Do the same with the celery and potato. Dice the onion into slightly smaller pieces.

Option 1: Add all of the ingredients into a slow cooker, including the meat. Swish 1 cup of water in the frying pan to loosen the fond (tasty bits) and pour it all into the slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover. Add the herbs and spices, and stir. Cover and set your slow cooker to medium heat. Cook for at least 3 hours.

Option 2: Add all of the ingredients into a 3 quart pressure cooker, including the meat. Swish 1 cup of water in the frying pan to loosen the fond (tasty bits) and pour it all into the Pressure Cooker. Add just enough water to cover, but no more that 2/3rds up the side of the cooker. Add the herbs and spices, and stir. Attache the lid and turn heat to medium high. When the pressure regulator begins to dance on top, turn back the heat until the regulator is barely moving. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat, and follow the pressure cooker instructions for releasing pressure.

Final step; Make a roux by combining 3 tbs. of butter, and 3 tbs. of flour in your frying pan, over medium heat. stir until the roux turns medium brown. Ladle broth from the pressure cooker into the roux while stirring. It will get very thick and pasty at first. But as you continue to add more liquid, while stirring, it will turn into a sauce. Add the sauce back into your pot. Correct the seasonings as you stir everything together (add a little more salt and pepper to taste).

If the gravy isn't thick enough, make more roux and repeat the thinning process. If it's too thick,stir in a little water.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Wine Guy

This is without a doubt the best beef stew recipe I've ever had.

Irish Beef Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes

I made the mistake of bringing it into work one year for St. Patrick's Day. Every year since I've been asked to do the same thing. It really is that delicious!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Head Chef

My Beef stew ( no exact measurements)
1 large Chuck roast
a stalk or two of celery broken in 1/2
a couple of carrots
a large onion cut into quarters
a coupe of bay leafs, salt and pepper, a pinch or 2 of dried rosemary a minced garlic clove
cover with water and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer until meat is tender and with a fork it pulls apart.
remove the meat and cooked veggies.
add cut up potatoes, carrots and cook in broth until done
while that cooking cup up meat and set aside along with some frozen peas
when they are done add the meat back and the peas.
In a separate pan melt some butter approx. 4 tbl whisk in equal parts of flour then add can of beef broth - once whisk together add to the pot of meat and veggies and it should make your gravy, taste and re season with salt and pepper if needed.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Master Chef

I use an old Campbell's soup recipe.

You can find a variation in every church cookbook published in the last sixty years!

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Put one pound of raw beef cubes into a casserole along with a couple of carrots cut into chunks, celery cut into chunks and small onions. Top with a can of Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup (undiluted), a bay leaf, a shot of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and place in the oven for approx. one hour.

You can add a couple of peeled and chopped potatoes to this, I prefer to serve it with mashed potatoes, a cabbage salad and apple crisp on a cold snowy night.

I have used venison for this with good results.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I think I have read Steve K extoll his stew recipe before. Copied this one, although the rest of you seem to have good recipes too. It's definitely coming up to stew weather soon.

Here's my take on CWS's Scandanavian Sailor's Beef Stew with anchovies I tried a year or so ago. Yes, do use anchovies. I think I told myself if I make this again, they're going in more towards half way through cooking as the flavor completely melted into the stew. Maybe that's what made it soo good.

ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Might want to give this one a try.

Simple Beef Stew

Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Everyone has given you plenty of recipes. And for the most part they are for a family. Not a family reunion. So to cook with amount per person in mind, use the following portion controls.

1/4 - 1/2 lb. of chuck beef per person (=p.p.) cut into bite sizes
1.5 carrots p.p.
1/4 onion p.p.
1/2 stalk of celery p.p.
2 cups of broth p.p.
1.5 potato p.p.

All veggies should be cut into bite sizes. Keep this in mind if there are going to be children present. Their mouths are smaller. And they will be using smaller spoons. Use a soup ladle that holds one cup. You should be able to pick up veggies and meat in one ladle full. Depending on the size of the bowls, it may take more than one ladle full. They can always come back for seconds.

If you are serving bread with this stew, count on two (minimum) slices p.p. Nothing like sopping up that broth at the bottom on the bowl. If you are going to be making biscuits, then count on three biscuits p.p.

For seasonings, taste as it simmers. Adjust your seasonings accordingly.

Not everyone will like every vegetable, so they should be cut into sizes that make it easy to avoid them or are able to pick them out and put on the side. If you are planning on having leftovers for the freezers, increase the amount of veggies and beef by one half.

Tags
beef, stew, recipe

ISO a good beef stew recipe Hello everyone, Can someone help me i need a recipe for a delicious beef stew,my family will held a family re-union so i would love to cook for them a perfect meal so that everyone can remember me of it.if someone got something special please don't hesitate contact me as soon as possible.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews