"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Master Chef

I don't get it, why in the world are they all up-side down? They looked fine when I saved them on my "Desktop"

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

They don't look upside down here, Charlie, but they do look fantastically delicious!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That looks and sounds really good Charlie.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you much, Charlie.
I'm making a cole slaw run tomorrow. I've got everything else.
Thanks for the pics, too. It looks fantastic. Different than my usual fare, which will be a nice change.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #25
Master Chef

Thank you and welcome. It is supper easy and fast. Actually had some for breakfast this morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking of using that Hillshire Farms Kielbasa and saving my hot dogs for something else, like beans.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #27
Master Chef

That sounds good, I too prefer something more substantial than a hot dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Excellent meal, Charlie. Thanks for the recipe. I also served it alongside some mashed potatoes and it was a perfect accompaniment.

I've got a question though, what makes this Polish? You mention salt and seasoning... what is the seasoning? I simply used salt and pepper, but was wondering the whole time If I should be using something else.
Or is it the main ingredients that makes thie Polish? The cabbage, kraut and kielbasa?
Being called "hunters' stew" I am curious. Curious what makes this Polish?

Thanks

Looking forward to the leftovers. I'll be making this again.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

With the mixed-up history of Eastern Europe, it's probably just fate that it ended up being called a Polish dish. If Ukraine had been more successful politically during the 14th century, it might be the national dish of Ukraine

Pac, one of my favorite authors is James Michener and, because DH's family is Polish, one of my favorite books of his is "Poland." Michener's books are historical novels that follow the history of place for over 1,000 years, typically. I reread "Poland" last year and I loved it again. Just in case you're interested
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, a lot of foods are like that. Everyone wants to claim it as their own, but sometimes there are regional differences.

Here was my effort, Charlie.
I did add the red bell pepper. And instead of a little water to help the cabbage cook, I had a beer in my hand anyway, so a splash of that went in
And to keep this somewhat OT, I saw no reason everything could not have been added to a crock pot and slow cooked for several hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	20591   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	20592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	20593  

Tags
cook, recipe, sage, sausage, slow cooker

ISO: Hearty, thick, spicy sausage slow cooker recipe. HI all! I didn't think this would be a tall order, but I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm headed to Socal next week to visit my husband. You see he works out there - lives in Navy barracks, though Navy retired - and we only get to see each other and spend time together twice a year. I am so excited and will be there a month. :brows: I'm bringing his forever favorite Conecuh sausage with me (if you haven't tried it, you simply must) and want to make a good stew out of it. He loves spicy food and loves thick and hearty stews. In fact, he lives for them. We'll be in hotel rooms but we will have a crock pot to cook with and so I need it to be a slow cooker recipe. I can find "hearty" recipes but they're more like soup than stew and I can find thick recipes but they don't have sausage and then some stews are Italian/Tuscan style, which he's not interested in. I'm looking for something with vegetables as well as beans. I'm really surprised that it's so hard to find. I'm not against thickening the stew with mashed kidney beans. I say this because I make a to-die-for White Chicken Chili where I mash up the Cannellini beans and it's just so delicious and creamy. So any ideas or recipes or something? I sure hope so. I'm a little nervous about winging it because I want it to be special for him. :in_love: Thanks to anyone who can help me! 3 stars 1 reviews