ISO: Hearty, thick, spicy sausage slow cooker recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
HI all!

I didn't think this would be a tall order, but I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm headed to Socal next week to visit my husband. You see he works out there - lives in Navy barracks, though Navy retired - and we only get to see each other and spend time together twice a year. I am so excited and will be there a month. :brows: I'm bringing his forever favorite Conecuh sausage with me (if you haven't tried it, you simply must) and want to make a good stew out of it.

He loves spicy food and loves thick and hearty stews. In fact, he lives for them. We'll be in hotel rooms but we will have a crock pot to cook with and so I need it to be a slow cooker recipe.

I can find "hearty" recipes but they're more like soup than stew and I can find thick recipes but they don't have sausage and then some stews are Italian/Tuscan style, which he's not interested in. I'm looking for something with vegetables as well as beans.

I'm really surprised that it's so hard to find. I'm not against thickening the stew with mashed kidney beans. I say this because I make a to-die-for White Chicken Chili where I mash up the Cannellini beans and it's just so delicious and creamy.

So any ideas or recipes or something? I sure hope so. I'm a little nervous about winging it because I want it to be special for him. :in_love:

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

I often start with a recipe as a guide and replace specific ingredients with ones we like better or that I already have on hand. So if you found a recipe you like that doesn't include sausage, just add the sausage to it.

Here's another example: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/09/slow-cooker-cannellini-stew-sausage-kale.html

Just replace the turkey sausage with yours. You could replace the kale with Swiss chard or another green and add green beans and onions to include more vegetables. Hope this helps.

I would cook the sausage at least halfway before adding to the stew so they don't leach too much grease and thin things down.

HI all!

I didn't think this would be a tall order, but I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm headed to Socal next week to visit my husband. You see he works out there - lives in Navy barracks, though Navy retired - and we only get to see each other and spend time together twice a year. I am so excited and will be there a month. :brows: I'm bringing his forever favorite Conecuh sausage with me (if you haven't tried it, you simply must) and want to make a good stew out of it.

He loves spicy food and loves thick and hearty stews. In fact, he lives for them. We'll be in hotel rooms but we will have a crock pot to cook with and so I need it to be a slow cooker recipe.

I can find "hearty" recipes but they're more like soup than stew and I can find thick recipes but they don't have sausage and then some stews are Italian/Tuscan style, which he's not interested in. I'm looking for something with vegetables as well as beans.

I'm really surprised that it's so hard to find. I'm not against thickening the stew with mashed kidney beans. I say this because I make a to-die-for White Chicken Chili where I mash up the Cannellini beans and it's just so delicious and creamy.

So any ideas or recipes or something? I sure hope so. I'm a little nervous about winging it because I want it to be special for him. :in_love:

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

I'd simply go with your tried and true To die for White Chicken Chili.

I know you want it to be special for him but since you only get to see each other twice a year I'll bet that's the "special" that's the most important to him.

Go ahead and wing it with a recipe that looks good to you.

Just don't wing it on the :brows:

;)

When I hear sausage and stew what comes to mind is a Polish bigos. It is perfect winter food and with a good sausage and ham it doesn't get any better. Of course what kind of winter are we talking about in SO CAL, but never the less I recommend to read the threa in this link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/bigos-old-polish-meal-62392.html.
You can go light on cabbage and add some potato.

When I hear sausage and stew what comes to mind is a Polish bigos. It is perfect winter food and with a good sausage and ham it doesn't get any better. Of course what kind of winter are we talking about in SO CAL, but never the less I recommend to read the threa in this link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/bigos-old-polish-meal-62392.html.
You can go light on cabbage and add some potato.

Wow, that looks really good, but there is so much to that recipe I would be winging because I don't understand it.

Here's an idea:

Sausage Potato Bake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

You could perhaps drain most of the liquid from the vegetable beef soup and it would be thicker.

You could also put in some Tabasco sauce, cilantro, ground jalapenos, and a tiny bit of curry to make it more spicy for him.

With love,
~Cat

Last edited:
I didn't know what Conecuh sausage is, so I Googled it:

Our Products

It must be very good, from seeing this website!

I'm sure you are also bringing his favorite :brows:, yes?

With love,
~Cat

You could consider red onion and garlic in that recipe. If you have to pack stuff and want ground ingredients, take a small mortar and pestle with you. I used Mama's mortar and pestle before Cat gave us a blender and a food processor in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

Are you driving or flying? If you're driving, pack all you need. If you're flying, Cat says that's a lot different so you'll want to travel light.

Lakisha

Here's an idea:

Sausage Potato Bake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

You could perhaps drain most of the liquid from the vegetable beef soup and it would be thicker.

You could also put in some Tabasco sauce, cilantro, ground jalapenos, and a tiny bit of curry to make it more spicy for him.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, Is Carl related to the person who wrote this recipe? Their names are similar.

I often start with a recipe as a guide and replace specific ingredients with ones we like better or that I already have on hand. So if you found a recipe you like that doesn't include sausage, just add the sausage to it.

Here's another example: Kalyn's Kitchen®: Recipe for Slow Cooker Cannellini Bean Stew with Tomatoes, Italian Sausage, and Kale

Just replace the turkey sausage with yours. You could replace the kale with Swiss chard or another green and add green beans and onions to include more vegetables. Hope this helps.

GG, I made that recipe last night with hot Italian sausage and it was spectacular! Thanks.:yum:
BTW, I don't like to use a crock pot, so did it on top of the stove in my enameled cast iron pot.

Last edited:
GG, I made that recipe last night with hot Italian sausage and it was spectacular! Thanks.:yum:
BTW, I don't like to use a crock pot, so did it on top of the stove in my enameled cast iron pot.

Good to know, thanks for reporting back! :) I prefer using my enameled cast iron pot for braises as well. I like to smell it as it's cooking and, except for things like pork shoulder, foods tend to dry out less using the stovetop. Maybe that's because I can check it periodically as it's cooking and control the temperature better.

Wow, that looks really good, but there is so much to that recipe I would be winging because I don't understand it.

If you are interested I can come up with s simplified version. Let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Cat, Is Carl related to the person who wrote this recipe? Their names are similar.

Oh my! I didn't see that. No, he isn't, but that last name is quite similar!

The name on the recipe is Chris Shellenbarger, and Carl's name is Carl Schellenberger. That is a bit eerie, yes?

How interesting!

With love,
~Cat

If you are interested I can come up with s simplified version. Let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I'll take you up on that. She lost me on her method. All that pouring water... do you use fresh water each time or are you concentrating it into a stock of sorts? And what is pork on bone? Something smoked like a ham hock or something more like fresh pork, like a country style rib?

I'll take you up on that. She lost me on her method. All that pouring water... do you use fresh water each time or are you concentrating it into a stock of sorts? And what is pork on bone? Something smoked like a ham hock or something more like fresh pork, like a country style rib?

Bigos, semi-homemade version.
It is a good winter food, :) don’t even come close to me with it in the summer:wacko: I won’t touch it.

Pacanis, this is for you.

This is what I do.
Ingredients:
1 pack Coleslaw
sauerkraut optional
1 small or a half of a large onion diced finely
Red bell pepper also diced finely, optional (I do not like it)
2-3 hot dogs
Some ham, in my case smoked turkey
Oil or rendered bacon for frying
2-3 table spoons of ketchup or tomato sauce
Salt and Seasoning to taste

Preheat the large pan, add oil or render bacon, you do not need a lot of oil just enough to sauté onion. When onion is golden brown add coleslaw. Turn heat down and sauté slowly until it is brownish in color. Traditionally it is done with sauerkraut, I usually just add about a cup or so, depends how sour you want the end result to be. Because I did not have any last night I added a tea spoon of lemon juice to compensate for the taste.
Also when using only cabbage it might be too dry, so I had to add a table spoon or so of water during cooking, stir every once in a while. When cabbage appears done I add some ketchup and mix it in. Dice or slice the hot dogs and ham, smoked turkey in my case, add to the cabbage, mix again, cover with a lid to help hot dogs cook faster, actually I think it was polish Sausage, real hot dogs are just as good. Takes only few minutes.

I like to serve it with the side of mashed potato that cooks alongside the cabbage. I think the whole thing was done in 20 minutes or less.
Good harty multigrain bread a little bit of hot russian musturd, yum. Ok cold vodka goes really well witht hat too.

Attachments

• 20140106_191928[2].jpg
    20140106_191928[2].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 20140106_192327[1].jpg
    20140106_192327[1].jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 20140106_195556[1].jpg
    20140106_195556[1].jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 20140106_195609[1].jpg
    20140106_195609[1].jpg