"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Instead of dredging the uncooked meat with flour and then browning it, here's what I do. First, season and brown the un-floured meat in batches and, once browned, add it all back to the pot. Then sprinkle the flour for the roux over the already cooked meat and stir fry for a few minutes to eliminate the raw flour flavor. Follow this by gradually adding your cooking liquids. It gives you much better control over the browning, allows you to control the exact amount of the flour added, and you don't end up with with a layer of burnt flour in the bottom of the pan.
Now why didn't I think of that? I even do that when I make TNT Pork with Mushroom Herb Sauce.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Master Chef
If you must have flour I would do what Steve said. In all the truth, I’ve stopped adding the flour years ago. But I do use potatoes in my stew a lot and I control the amount of liquid, so it sort of creates the thickness of the liquid. But To each its own, I guess. As far as shortening, I like to use corn oil, and when I can get the sunflour oil that is even better.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote

beef, stew