"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yes, 3x5 cards are much better.

My mum hid money in old newspapers and other paper work. My sister and I had to go through all of it. Piles and piles of stuff. We found a bit of Danish money, thousands of French Francs and thousands of German Marks.

Those currencies have been replaced with Euros.
My maternal grandpa hid $$$ in cigar cans in the loft of the garage.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It doesn't have fish in it--it uses round steak. It is more like a pot roast, but not the kind my paternal grandma made (that was gross). I will post the ingredients and how I handle them when the garden dies and I have time to play with things like this. It also has some capers in it. It was so good if you like beef-brandy-anchovies-onions-potatoes-capers and cream.
Recipe? I'm so intrigued!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Oops. Sorry my misintrepation of what you wrote vs whai I read. However, I guess anchovies is fishes. I will clean my glasses now.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Recipe? I'm so intrigued!
Not tonight--I left the recipe at the farm in a box that has to be moved back, but, since I recently read the recipe, it includes:

About 1-1/2 lb round steak
Beef broth
onions
potatoes
anchovies (about 4, rinced well and chopped)
capers
carrots
S&P to taste

You brown the meat in butter (I cut it in about 1" cubes, dredged in flour); add the broth, onions, potatoes, anchovies, capers and carrots. I did the meat on the stove and transferred everything to a CP. It sems to me I used about 4-5 c broth (which was homemade) based on my CP's capacity.

About 5-10 minutes before serving, remove everything from the CP except the broth, add 1/4 c brandy and 1/2 c cream. Let that heat through, and return the meat, etc., to the thickened broth. I served it in a bowl, topped with lemon zest and chopped parsley. If the "sauce" isn't thick enough, thicken it with a bit of flour. This is what I recall from re-reading the recipe when I found it. I made notes in the margins (luckily, I do have a near perfect memory). But, the recipe is not for a CP and I put it in the CP in the morning and let it cook for about 8 hours.

I am sure there is s/thing I've forgotten. It had this salty-beefy-creamy taste. I can taste it still.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Oops. Sorry my misintrepation of what you wrote vs whai I read. However, I guess anchovies is fishes. I will clean my glasses now.
I meant it wasn't fish based, it does have that added little taste of anchovies that blends very nicely with the beefiness of it. My beef stock is very "beefy."
Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for this, cws. it sounds exactly like my mom's beef stew, except she didn't add brandy. everything else is right on, though.

copied and saved.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks for this, cws. it sounds exactly like my mom's beef stew, except she didn't add brandy. everything else is right on, though.

copied and saved.

Did it include the capers and the anchovies? I found that the addition of those (and the brandy) really made this recipe pop.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

capers, yes. and i recall canned fish: coulda been anchovies or sardines. i'm not sure. possibly even salmon or mackerel. i'll ask next week.

definitely no brandy, though. mom got loopy from sniffing a cork. she only drank one night a year, on new years eve.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
capers, yes. and i recall canned fish: coulda been anchovies or sardines. i'm not sure. possibly even salmon or mackerel. i'll ask next week.

definitely no brandy, though. mom got loopy from sniffing a cork. she only drank one night a year, on new years eve.
Brandy can be you're little enhancement...or not. Let me know what she says when you ask her about the recipe. Of recipes tried once, this one left a very memorable impression on me.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Norwegian Mar y Montaņa ...

The Northern Spaniards, the Galicians, The Basque and the Catalans call this treatment of combining products from the sea, and the mountain / land;

" mar y montaņa" , the sea ( anchovies ) and the mountain ...

Nigella has an interesting approach to Norwegian Sailor Stew: www.nigella.com

Have nice August.
M.C.

Tags
recipe, stew

ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe I photocopied this recipe in one of the cookbooks a friend had. I think it was one of those over-sized paperbacks from Sunset? I made it once, and loved it. I have since misplaced the recipe. A search on the Internet and Norwegian recipe sites hasn't uncovered it. As best I can recollect, it was beef based, with chunks of stew meat, carrots, onions, potatoes, anchovies or capers--this is where I don't remember which. I made it in the slow cooker. It was a wonderful combination of flavors. I can't remember the herbs, but suspect there was a fair dose of freshly ground pepper, parsley, and perhaps thyme or dill. If anyone has a collection of the Sunset magazine cookbooks and has the time to look through them, I'd love to make this recipe again. 3 stars 1 reviews