ISO: Norwegian Sailor Stew recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I photocopied this recipe in one of the cookbooks a friend had. I think it was one of those over-sized paperbacks from Sunset? I made it once, and loved it. I have since misplaced the recipe. A search on the Internet and Norwegian recipe sites hasn't uncovered it. As best I can recollect, it was beef based, with chunks of stew meat, carrots, onions, potatoes, anchovies or capers--this is where I don't remember which. I made it in the slow cooker. It was a wonderful combination of flavors. I can't remember the herbs, but suspect there was a fair dose of freshly ground pepper, parsley, and perhaps thyme or dill. If anyone has a collection of the Sunset magazine cookbooks and has the time to look through them, I'd love to make this recipe again.

Do you mean "skipperlabskovs"? also spelled "skibberlabskovs"?
I don't remember the name except in English--it was so good...if this friend of mine and I hadn't parted ways, I'd be looking through her cookbooks for that recipe. And I do think it was with capers, not anchovies...

That recipe that Bolas posted is not the same thing as what I know as skipperlabscovs.

There were a bunch of recipes for it at my Danish cooking site. Seems to have:

lean beef in 1.5 cm cubes
onions in chunks
mealy potatoes in largish chunks
broth or just water
bay leaves
whole peppercorns

One recipe included allspice; one had a bit of ham cubes added for 10 minutes.

More potatoes than onions, more onions than meat. No browning, but sometimes the meat is blanched for 2 minutes first. Simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until everything is tender. Some of the potatoes should have dissolved and thickened the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish each serving with a blob of butter and chopped parsley or chives. Serve with pickled beets and whole grain (heavy, dark) rye bread.

I keep thinking it has to be some variation of this. Skipper means skipper in the nautical sense. Danes and Swedes make this, so I imagine that Norwegians do too.

I've had a similar dish to Bolas' before, but know it as "Lapskaus". Where I grew up in Wisconsin, it's one of those types of stews that people make when they have leftover roast beef or ham. I'll admit I've never seen it with capers or anchovies before, but I'm sure that would be good.

That recipe that Bolas posted is not the same thing as what I know as skipperlabscovs.

There were a bunch of recipes for it at my Danish cooking site. Seems to have:

lean beef in 1.5 cm cubes
onions in chunks
mealy potatoes in largish chunks
broth or just water
bay leaves
whole peppercorns

One recipe included allspice; one had a bit of ham cubes added for 10 minutes.

More potatoes than onions, more onions than meat. No browning, but sometimes the meat is blanched for 2 minutes first. Simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until everything is tender. Some of the potatoes should have dissolved and thickened the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish each serving with a blob of butter and chopped parsley or chives. Serve with pickled beets and whole grain (heavy, dark) rye bread.

I keep thinking it has to be some variation of this. Skipper means skipper in the nautical sense. Danes and Swedes make this, so I imagine that Norwegians do too.
Thanks, TL! I think I'll have to give this a try and add capers (or anchovies...I wish I could remember which ...). I suppose I could ask my friends in Sweden if they might have a recipe...duh--didn't think of that, IM'ed with one today.

I FOUND the recipe! I will be making it this fall. It is actually Swedish Fisherman's Stew...but yes, it has anchovies in it, a splash of brandy, and then cream is added the last 5 minutes. I made it the only time I made it in the Crock-Pot. It was soooooo good. I can't wait for cooler weather and to make it again.

The things our brain vs our stomach remembers??

Paraphrase~~ I am looking for a Norwegian stew, it is beef based vs what you found ~~ Swedish Fisherman's Stew with Fish.

Chuckle. I am glad you found it. Hope you nailed it to your bulletin board. When you next look at it or make it , would you please share it as well. I have made milk (cream) based fish stews. I didn't care for the results, so haven't made any since. If you add the cream only towards the end of cooking, that sounds like a good way to gently treat the stew.

PS. I used to put 3x5 recipe cards ( remember those?) in cook book pages, presumably as a book mark or if there was a similar recipe in the cookbook. That's all well and good. Except when you go to the recipe file box and the card is missing. And who can remember which odd cookbook it was placed inside. I suppose that's better than my Grandma who used to tuck $$ bills inside her sewing magazines....

... I suppose that's better than my Grandma who used to tuck $$ bills inside her sewing magazines....
Yes, 3x5 cards are much better.

My mum hid money in old newspapers and other paper work. My sister and I had to go through all of it. Piles and piles of stuff. We found a bit of Danish money, thousands of French Francs and thousands of German Marks. :wacko:

Those currencies have been replaced with Euros. :(

It doesn't have fish in it--it uses round steak. It is more like a pot roast, but not the kind my paternal grandma made (that was gross). I will post the ingredients and how I handle them when the garden dies and I have time to play with things like this. It also has some capers in it. It was so good if you like beef-brandy-anchovies-onions-potatoes-capers and cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom