"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
im glad im not the only one to leave out the tomato, i my beef dredge in a smoke rub and flour dredge then brown, caramelize some onions and use beef stock and nice dark beer, thicken with a roux, add carrots potatos celery, but i have to admit that i will try some of the other idea's from here

paddfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #32
Head Chef
For all you tomato haters close your eyes.

I did make a very tasty stew. Browned the beef then the onions added a can of tomatoes, beef broth, hoisin sauce, red wine and simmered away. Cooked the carrots separate and added at the end. Served it over horseradish mashed potatoes. Not traditional beef stew but definitely something good.

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't put tomatoes in their stew. I had never heard of that until I saw all the recipes on here that mentioned it. I'm like Michael in FtW and pacanis. I only add tomatoes if I'm turning the stew into soup. My stew only has potatoes, carrots, onions and sometimes green beans. that was my moms' add-in.
Maybe I'll have to try it sometime just to see what the difference is.

homecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #34
Head Chef
Everyone is right, and nobody is wrong when it comes to what goes in THEIR beef stew. The more I read this thread, the closer I think you guys are to starting a fist fight...all over the lowly tomato.
JoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #35
Sous Chef
I heat my iron skillet...add a tiny amount of olive oil. Brown the meat quickly. Add onions...carrots, celery BROWN.

Place in all in my crock pot. ADD red wine, beef broth, pepper,potatoes cut in quarters..cover and cook on high 5 hours. You can add spices you like. I may add
parsley, basil, oregano. (herbs I raise). Aria

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote