"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need Beef stew help

Tomorrow I have (took) the day off from work. Thought I would make beef stew. In the past I have made it by simply cooking the beef in broth with the usual suspects (carrots, onions, potatoes) but it is rather boring. I would like to make a thick rich tasting stew.

I was thinking of adding hoisin and tomatoes. Maybe red wine?

Any tips with ingredients or technique would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I use Port & Cab in my stew. Also, toss the meat in flour then brown in the pot. Just made it on Saturday.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd recommend browning the meat in some oil then sweating a mire poix and garlic for a base of flavor. Add some tomato paste, canned tomato, wine, herbs (rosemary, bay, thyme, basil, etc.) of your choice and broth. Simmer until the meat is tender. Add the veggies and simmer until they are tender. Finish with a splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar and serve. If you want to thicken the broth, stir in a flour slurry and cook for a couple of minutes.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

In addtion to your veggies. Sweet Potato, Turnips, Parsnips can add a different twist...Thicken with a slurry or roux.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Head Chef

Interesting to finish with vinegar. Do you add it to the serving or pot? May try that. I also was thinking about the sweet potatoes since I have some on hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Just a splash to the pot.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I coat the beef in flour before adding them to the pot that has already been sweating off the onion (or leeks) and garlic. I add water to the pot when they are slightly browned then add whatever veges I have around, usually carrot, green capsicum, zucchini and mushrooms. Now it depends on how I intend to serve the stew as to what goes in next. A can of crushed tomatoes with extra tomato paste and a decent amount of red wine. Otherwise potatoes and stock. Irrespective of which way I go, I add Worcestershire sauce (very liberally), herbs (usually parsley and chives but sometimes also sage), and seasoning (with extra garlic powder on occasion). Then again it depends on how I serve it as to how thick I make it and I just do that by simmering for a long time. No additional thickeners. There are times when I may add a good splash of oyster sauce and/or soy sauce. I like to keep the flavours pretty simple as it is a bit rustic and getting too fancy can sometimes loose the basicness of the dish.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

My beef stew is cooking and smells very very good (just ask the Verizon man that was here!) I did brown the beef in flour, added crushed tomatoes, red wine, worcestershire, bay leaf, thyme, s&p, parsley (dried) In addition to the carrots, onions, potatoes, I am going to roast sweet pot and butternut squash to add in the final minutes. My plan is to finish with the vinegar suggestion. Some nice bread too! Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Sounds good!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I like to use stewed tomatoes (because of the bell pepper and celery in it) as well as tomato sauce. A cup of whatever red wine I'm drinking, some herbs like bay leaves, oregano, thyme, nutmeg, garlic powder, parsley, and pepper. Towards the end of cooking, in place of salt, I use the Bovril concentrated beef flavored liquid bouillon or the Better than Bouillon beef base. You can add a little of the beef flavor when adding the herbs and a more toward the end of the cooking if you need it. I find it gives it that little umph it needs.

Tags
None