Need ideas for stew meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goggin

Assistant Cook
hi, im new(been registered for a couple of days) i have a pack of beef stew meat. im 18 soon to be living on my own and going to college. i am wondering what i can make with it? i am going to try cooking at my moms b4 i leave :). i have: Garlic powder, salt pepper, potatoes, onions, and ur basic household stuff. i am looking for ideas on what to make and how to make it. i have an extra $10 to spend for more stuff. so i can add things if it is a special item. i have a crock pot as well. thanks in advance

Hi,

buy some beef broth and carrots, onions and mushrooms and make a nice soup.

Chili is another idea.

Well, based on what you have listed, you just need a can of diced tomatos and a head of cabbage. Makes for a wonderful winter stew.

Brown your stew meat remove and drain, saute chopped onion and add meat back to the pot. Then add beef stock / water and can of tomatos, allow to simmer till the meat is tender (about an hour or so) (you can also add your garlic powder, salt and pepper and any other spices you may like, I like a pinch of red pepper). Once meat is tender, add chopped cabbage and cook another 30 minutes. Then add your chopped potatoes and cook about 20 minutes and get ya some nice warm crusty bread. Awesome meal done really cheap!

You could also do some stroganoff with a can of cream of mushroom soup, some dried dill weed, sour cream and a splash of red wine to finish atop some egg noodles... very simple and cheap! Great as leftovers!

Well, based on what you have listed, you just need a can of diced tomatos and a head of cabbage. Makes for a wonderful winter stew.

Brown your stew meat remove and drain, saute chopped onion and add meat back to the pot. Then add beef stock / water and can of tomatos, allow to simmer till the meat is tender (about an hour or so) (you can also add your garlic powder, salt and pepper and any other spices you may like, I like a pinch of red pepper). Once meat is tender, add chopped cabbage and cook another 30 minutes. Then add your chopped potatoes and cook about 20 minutes and get ya some nice warm crusty bread. Awesome meal done really cheap!
thanks a bunchill give it a shot and let you know how it goes

HA, just thought of another one.... Italian Stew.... with can of tomatos, Italian seasoning, and some bowtie pasta.

Just PM me if any of these you want further details on any of this... stew meat is such a wonderful item!!!

And cooked simply in some beef broth and water (seasonings such as garlic powder, salt, pepper of course) - floured and browned first - served over rice - simplicity at its best!

Buy some fresh corn on the cob, shuck it, and take a sharp knife and vertically cut the kernels off and add 15 minutes before serving. It's cheap here but if not there then add a small can of corn instead. Bon apetit!

Here in the states stewmeat is usually sold in small chunks. I personally like to buy sirloin tip steak that's on sale and cut it into small cubes myself and use that instead. Sirloin is lower in fat and a more tender cut and will render a stew in less time but it's not exceptionally cheap unless it's on sale. At least that's been my experience for many years.

Here in the states stewmeat is usually sold in small chunks. I personally like to buy sirloin tip steak that's on sale and cut it into small cubes myself and use that instead. Sirloin is lower in fat and a more tender cut and will render a stew in less time but it's not exceptionally cheap unless it's on sale. At least that's been my experience for many years.
Thanks for the explanation. Couldn't tell from the posts how the meat was presented. It is big pieces, steaks or chunks here too.

You've done it with a chuck roast, I assume? Just my experience, having experimented with all the cheap cuts I could find, chuck was just far and above my favorite for stewing/braising. Cuts from the round, including sirloin tip and rump, would dry up on me no matter what, and always came out tougher. A chuck-based pot roast would require fingers: a round-based pot roast would require a chainsaw. Is there a trick I might've missed?

Beef stew... I'm salivating right now! I'll have to make goulash next week! Thanks for the idea! :chef:

Last edited:
Meat pie for me!! Steak and mushroom or steak and kidney pie, or a combination of all three ingredients!! Or (an Indian) beef curry with rice. Or beef bourguignon perhaps?

I just throw my stew beef in crockpot with broth and spices, when meat is done I use the broth to make gravy,put meat in gravy and serve it over egg noodles.you could always add other things to it corn,potatoes,carrots. My family is picky eaters so not much variety goes into my food. The only way to go Cheap and Easy

LMJ, what I do to a sirloin tip is to cut it into cubes (against the grain if you can and at a slant), season with salt & pepper(use immediately if using salt) place cubes in a baggie with flour (prefer Wondra as it's light in texture but not necessary as regular will do) and then brown in olive or vegetable oil over medium high heat with garlic. Really it's like a stir fry as you are constantly stirring the meat around. Then it makes its own gravy and I add the rest of the ingredients when the meat is browned. Never have I had sirloin tip for stew turn tough on me. It's almost tender at that point you brown it but an additional 45 minutes to an hour with the rest of the stew ingredients will tenderize it even more. Add some Kitchen Bouquet sauce to give it a rich brown look.

I also use a chuck roast cut into chunks. Saute some rings of onions in some butter until browned and remove. Dredge chunks in seasoned flour and brown. Put back onions and cover with stout beer. Cook until tender. The flour from the chunks by then will have thickened the beer into a nice gravy. Serve over rice or noodles. That's it - - - the end.

Hopefully not too far off the thread as stew is stew, but my aunt who had two sets of twins 4 years apart, had to really watch pennies. So she would take Sunday's leftover chuck pot roast, chopped it up and add chopped onions, garlic, and some bottled barbeque sauce and cook until just falling to smithereens and serve over hamburger buns. My goodness it was good and easy. Serve with a veggie and there's a dinner that children will eat.

Back
Top Bottom