"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need ideas for stew meat

hi, im new(been registered for a couple of days) i have a pack of beef stew meat. im 18 soon to be living on my own and going to college. i am wondering what i can make with it? i am going to try cooking at my moms b4 i leave :). i have: Garlic powder, salt pepper, potatoes, onions, and ur basic household stuff. i am looking for ideas on what to make and how to make it. i have an extra $10 to spend for more stuff. so i can add things if it is a special item. i have a crock pot as well. thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi,

buy some beef broth and carrots, onions and mushrooms and make a nice soup.

Chili is another idea.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

Well, based on what you have listed, you just need a can of diced tomatos and a head of cabbage. Makes for a wonderful winter stew.

Brown your stew meat remove and drain, saute chopped onion and add meat back to the pot. Then add beef stock / water and can of tomatos, allow to simmer till the meat is tender (about an hour or so) (you can also add your garlic powder, salt and pepper and any other spices you may like, I like a pinch of red pepper). Once meat is tender, add chopped cabbage and cook another 30 minutes. Then add your chopped potatoes and cook about 20 minutes and get ya some nice warm crusty bread. Awesome meal done really cheap!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Master Chef

You could also do some stroganoff with a can of cream of mushroom soup, some dried dill weed, sour cream and a splash of red wine to finish atop some egg noodles... very simple and cheap! Great as leftovers!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Well, based on what you have listed, you just need a can of diced tomatos and a head of cabbage. Makes for a wonderful winter stew.

Brown your stew meat remove and drain, saute chopped onion and add meat back to the pot. Then add beef stock / water and can of tomatos, allow to simmer till the meat is tender (about an hour or so) (you can also add your garlic powder, salt and pepper and any other spices you may like, I like a pinch of red pepper). Once meat is tender, add chopped cabbage and cook another 30 minutes. Then add your chopped potatoes and cook about 20 minutes and get ya some nice warm crusty bread. Awesome meal done really cheap!
thanks a bunchill give it a shot and let you know how it goes
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

HA, just thought of another one.... Italian Stew.... with can of tomatos, Italian seasoning, and some bowtie pasta.

Just PM me if any of these you want further details on any of this... stew meat is such a wonderful item!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I make chili with stew meat most of the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
And cooked simply in some beef broth and water (seasonings such as garlic powder, salt, pepper of course) - floured and browned first - served over rice - simplicity at its best!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Master Chef

Buy some fresh corn on the cob, shuck it, and take a sharp knife and vertically cut the kernels off and add 15 minutes before serving. It's cheap here but if not there then add a small can of corn instead. Bon apetit!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Is stew meat minced or in chunks?

Tags
None