"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Master Chef

Stew should generally be cooked for more than an hour.

Use fresh vegetables, esp. onion, carrot and some celery for depth of flavor.

Broth will also give you depth of flavor and most is made without msg. Unless you react badly to msg, you may want to consider using it, as it also gives a very savory flavor. So does soy sauce.

Not sure why you are adding brown sugar? I never add sugar to beef stew.

Sounds like a lot of barley ... and not enough water.

IMO cornstarch is a no no in stew. Potatoes help thicken and so will the barley, but I would recommend Wondra instant flour or regular AP flour and add it a little at a time until you get the desired consistency. 1/4 cup cornstarch would be a huge mistake, IMO.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OP, don't make this too hard. Those things you don't like just leave out. Like others have said though if it's the onion pieces you don't want to taste then leave the onion whole and remove. If you just prefer the onion powder flavor then use it.

Find a recipe - follow the basic steps - put in it what you like. You are not going to find a recipe EXACTLY as you already want it - adjust it to meet your likes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
xhtnlrcgfytn

I tried making it 2 nights agoÖ I hope nobody minds me continuing this thread? Iím not begging for more replies, but if anybody cares to know what happenedÖ.
Also I canít really answer everyone, or my post might be so long no one would want to read it. I still am not using any celery, I will try that sometime, I just donít have any right now. Also Iím still not using any fresh veggies for the same reason.
Quote:
I seriously doubt that you will need to thicken the stew with corn starch with all of the barley that you have in the mix. Barley creates it's own starchy thickening as it cooks.

Yep, you were rightÖ.. Itís more like a pudding after being in the fridge overnight, but still tastes okay. Are you supposed to rinse barley before you cook it? I am using goudas brand.

Quote:
If you can use real onion and garlic, do so. If not, I think the quantity of onion powder is too much.

I don't know what part of the world you live in but there are packaged stocks/broths available without MSG.

Iíll probably be using real onions and garlic after I get past the experimental stageÖ.
At my local supermarket (food basics) all the broths (and soups) contain msg, I checked them all. I bought some anyway, though, at least I can use it for experimenting. It seems to me it could really use some sort of stock, maybe turkeyÖ. I tried adding beef stock and some water after cooking, in the quantities reccomended on the package. It didnít seem to add anything, though (except salt).

I found
http://www.savorychoice.com/
but they donít ship to Canada . If youíre in the US though you can ask for a free sample from www.savory-creations.com .

Fresh onions would be nice, but the onion powder is Ok, especially if you don't want bits of onion in your soup. That's WAY too much, however. One or two teaspoons will be plenty.

I changed it during cooking, I assumed it must have meant 7 tsp. I see now it was supposed to be 3 tbsp in my original shorthad version though, dunno what happened there.

I donít really notice the onions a whole lot, but thereís lots of water diluting it now, I suppose thatís whyÖ. Actually itís kinda bland. The onion powder Iím using says 1 large onion is equivalent to 1 tablespoon.

I'm not familiar with grams, but that sounds way heavy on the barley, also. Barley really swells up and soaks up a lot of juice when you cook it.

I ended up adding 2.8 l of water, as much as the pot would hold leaving space for veg. The barley seems to soak up water till itís as much as it can hold anyway once itís in the frige for a while, though. Perhaps cooking it less would reduce how much it would end up absorbing in total? Maybe Iíll just have to try it.

Not sure why you are adding brown sugar? I never add sugar to beef stew.

I found it in one of the other recipes I collectedÖ. And again on one of the threads aroud here somebody said it was good, so I thought Iíd try it.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
xhtnlrcgfytn

V.2

I am going to be trying again in about 13 hours from nowÖ. This is the current plan, though I might update it a bit before. Iíve tried to include lessons learned and any suggestions. I might also try splitting it in 2 at some point and adding vinegar to one batch. The almond/peanut butter I tried adding to the completed batch after it was done, and it was good, so Iíll try adding some to this.

1.5 lb beef
2 L water or so,
1.5 tbsp olive oil maybe
0.75 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 tbsp worcestershire sauce Ė or to taste
1.5 tsp thyme
1 or 2 bay leaf/s
253.5 g barley
211 g whole rice
0.5 - 1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
962 g frozen veg Ė could maybe have been cooked longer
1.5 tsp dark sugar
2.5 tbsp onion powder
100 g almond/peanut butter

try adding cumin paprika or chili

- rinse barley and rice
- lightly Cook meat in olive oil
- add sugar and cook for 2 more minutes on low
- add some water and cook for 20-40 minutes to tenderize meat (optional)
- add water, rice, barley and bay leaf and maybe thyme
- simmer for 10 -20 min. or until barley is cooked just right, last time around it seemed to taste best a bit ďal denteĒ (whatever) as tasted during cooking. How long the barley gets cooked depends on how long I decide to cook things after adding other ingredients, it should cook for about 20 minutes total, or less.
- add worcestershire sauce and thyme if didnít add before, and then garlic, onion, veg salt and butter
- return to boil,
boil for 5-10 minutes add almond/peanut butter 5 minutes before end

- remove from heat, divide into containers and cool before barley and rice absorb too much more water
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

There is still too much rice and barley for the amount of water in the recipe. Cooling it sooner will not change that. Also, you don't need both barley and rice. One or the other will do.

Once you add the veggies (last thing to go in) just cook the stew until the veggies are done to your liking.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
xhtnlrcgfytn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
There is still too much rice and barley for the amount of water in the recipe. Cooling it sooner will not change that. Also, you don't need both barley and rice. One or the other will do.

Once you add the veggies (last thing to go in) just cook the stew until the veggies are done to your liking.
Yeah, I was sort of thinking that, hence the range of cooking time allowed.
I'm substituting some rice for barley because I've don't have 500 g barley..... maybe I should wait and get some more.
I did an experiment and found barley doesn't seem to absorb much water overnight when placed in the fridge. (cooked some barley until about it was a bit chewy, then put in in a bowl of water overnight.... it was still about the same 13 hours later)
So I'd cook it then freeze it, I don't know how else I can get the barley/rice from turning to mush.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

The amount of barley you have in the recipe, over a half pound, is too much on its own. If you're going to delay the stew until you can get more ingredients, focus on buying fresh vegetables rather than barley!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

xhtnlrcgfytn, looking at the ingredients in your recipe, I think 211gm rice which is equivalent to 1 cup of rice is too much as ordinarily this will serve 2 persons for a meal. Putting this much rice will absorb the liquid in your stew and making it rather heavy. If you still prefer to have rice in your stew, I would suggest adding only 70gm or 1/3 cup. Also 253.5gm of barley is far too much as it swells and thickens your stock.

I drink sweetened barley water on hot days as a refreshing drink. To do that, I boil them for about 10 minutes when the liquid is still clear and the barley 'al dente'. The cooked barley can then be used in bread or soups. However, if I want to eat the barley with the water, I will boil longer until it becomes soft and plumpish. The consistency in this case will be one that is slightly sticky but not gluey.

In essence, what I am trying to convey to you is that if you want to add both rice and barley in your stew, reduce the quantity and time it accordingly. Alternatively you might want to add just barley which in my opinion is a better choice.

Tags
None