"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Oxtail Stew Over Buttered Noodles

This works just as well with beef or veal shanks !

Ingredients
5 pounds meaty oxtails
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into half moons, about 1/4-inch thick
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 bay leaves
8 ounces button mushrooms
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Buttered Noodles, recipe follows, for serving
Directions
Wash and dry the oxtails. Add the meat to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the meat in the flour until lightly coated.
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until well browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and pour off some of the drippings, if necessary.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and garlic to the pot and saute until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomato paste and toast. Deglaze the pot with the bottle of red wine and stir up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves.
Add the browned beef back into the pot along with any accumulated juices that may have collected on the plate. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 3 1/2 hours.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed, and stir in the red wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Remove the meat from the pot and pull the meat off the bones, then add back to the pot. Discard the bones. Transfer the stew to a serving dish and serve hot over Buttered Noodles.
Buttered Noodles:
1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Stir in the chives, Parmesan and lemon.
Add the noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Good looking oxtails. Where did you buy them?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

This looks and sounds really good.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Good looking oxtails. Where did you buy them?
At my local Amish Market................again, you have to ask a week in advance, but they've never let me down yet !!
oops! sorry ! once, they let me down; they couldn't get squirrel !!
but thay can get me Bambi, AND Thumper !

Bristol Amish Market PA NJ - Farmers Market Dutch Amish Food Furniture Shopping Philadelphia PA
Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
This works just as well with beef or veal shanks !

Ingredients
5 pounds meaty oxtails
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped...
Absolutely Copied and Pasted...I want this for my Birthday Dinner...
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
At my local Amish Market................again, you have to ask a week in advance, but they've never let me down yet !!
oops! sorry ! once, they let me down; they couldn't get squirrel !!
but thay can get me Bambi, AND Thumper !

Bristol Amish Market PA NJ - Farmers Market Dutch Amish Food Furniture Shopping Philadelphia PA
Thanks. Whitetail tails don't run much over 12" BY 1" dia.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

This looks so Good.

I have never had ox tail. One day I will. I recall a show many years back on the fn that featured a dinner at a very well to do southern women's mansion.
She prepped and cook the who thing on the show. But, they were more into the marrow in the bones center than any meat. And the veggies looked fantastic in the sauce. I don't think I could eat much marrow; but maybe the next day. lol Your pictures spoke a 1000 words and did not utter a calorie.

Tags
noodles, recipe

Oxtail Stew Over Buttered Noodles This works just as well with beef or veal shanks ! Oxtail Stew Over Buttered Noodles Ingredients 5 pounds meaty oxtails Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, chopped 2 carrots, cut into half moons, about 1/4-inch thick 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed 1/4 cup tomato paste 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine 2 cups beef broth 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice 2 bay leaves 8 ounces button mushrooms 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar Buttered Noodles, recipe follows, for serving Directions Wash and dry the oxtails. Add the meat to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the meat in the flour until lightly coated. Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until well browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and pour off some of the drippings, if necessary. Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and garlic to the pot and saute until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomato paste and toast. Deglaze the pot with the bottle of red wine and stir up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves. Add the browned beef back into the pot along with any accumulated juices that may have collected on the plate. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 3 1/2 hours. Stir in the mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed, and stir in the red wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Remove the meat from the pot and pull the meat off the bones, then add back to the pot. Discard the bones. Transfer the stew to a serving dish and serve hot over Buttered Noodles. Buttered Noodles: 1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided 1 small shallot, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons minced chives 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan 1 tablespoon lemon juice Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Stir in the chives, Parmesan and lemon. Add the noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve. [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/Oxtails001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/OxtailStew006.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/OxtailStew008.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/OxtailStew011.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/OxtailStew013.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/luckytrim/OxtailStew017.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews